Gasit Install! (1 Viewer)

Jul 26, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 1999
Im thinking of buying refillable gas cylinders (GASIT) for the motorhome and fitting them myself.
Avon Autogas in bristol has a offer on for x2 bottles,pipework and external filler.
It seems very straight forward.
Does anybody have any advice?
Many thanks..

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
If you do fit your self get it checked by a proper gas person just to make sure.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Im thinking of buying refillable gas cylinders (GASIT) for the motorhome and fitting them myself.
Avon Autogas in bristol has a offer on for x2 bottles,pipework and external filler.
It seems very straight forward.
Does anybody have any advice?
Many thanks..
Pretty much like changing a calor bottle to fit them but if you go for the external filler you need a hole in the body.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you do fit your self get it checked by a proper gas person just to make sure.
I have seen this many times, where do you find these gas people that are qualified on motorhomes, and do you have to get them to have a look every time you change a calor bottle because it is just the same.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I fitted our first Gaslow bottle myself and thought I'd done a good job. When we changed to twin Alugas, Autogas near Thirsk fitted it for us and I was shocked at how tight they did up the connections with a huge spanner, his was much bigger than mine.
They pointed out how much pressure there is on the fill side pipe work.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
All you need is common sense, plan the positions, hose lengths and fittings you need and then double check what you have done when you have fitted it.
Like you I run a two bottle Gas-it system that I fitted myself but I also fitted a Gaslow change over gauge so I know when a bottle is running low and one of the other advantages of this gauge is that you can do a pressure leak test with it.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
@chaser the op seems like he is having a go. Nothing wrong with getting a gas fitter to check.
This is a fixed system so nothing gets moved.
I'v seen external filling points fitted to the gas door and have pointed out to tbe dealer that this is what gaslow say specifically not to do in their fitting instructions.
Nothing wrong in being cautious.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Take your time with the install, don’t use to much sealant as this can block the fittings, and use spray leak detector solution to check all joints, DON’T use fairy liquid as it’s corrosive with stainless Steele.

John.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
@chaser the op seems like he is having a go. Nothing wrong with getting a gas fitter to check.
This is a fixed system so nothing gets moved.
I'v seen external filling points fitted to the gas door and have pointed out to tbe dealer that this is what gaslow say specifically not to do in their fitting instructions.
Nothing wrong in being cautious.
Not knocking anything you said, but my question was genuine, where do you find a motohome gasfitter? I have no idea.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
I fitted the same system very easy just take your time use the correct gas testing spray on all connectors I did mine just before
i had the habitation check so it was checked when that was done well worth the cost,you will need a 70mm hole saw but all instructions are on website

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Any safe registered fitter should be able to help.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Very easy to do ensure fittings are tight and when you do filler hole put masking tape over the outside that will enable hole cutter to stay center and also stop paint chipping. Good idea to connect filler hose to fill point before fixing it to van then you don’t risk it turning when fitted.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Very easy to do, certainly wouldn't pay anyone to do it for me unless it was an extremely difficult install which would be very unlikely! So far I've installed it in 4 MHs/campers without a problem, just made sure everything was connected-up and tightened correctly and that there were no leaks (you can get a leak-spray if you don't want to use the washing-up liquid method) - you need to make sure the connections are tight but do NOT over-tighten them otherwise you could strip the threads.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Take your time with the install, don’t use to much sealant as this can block the fittings, and use spray leak detector solution to check all joints, DON’T use fairy liquid as it’s corrosive with stainless Steele.

John.
I assume by this you mean the hose connections? If so you shouldn't be using any 'sealant' or anything else on them at all.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Very easy to do, certainly wouldn't pay anyone to do it for me unless it was an extremely difficult install which would be very unlikely! So far I've installed it in 4 MHs/campers without a problem, just made sure everything was connected-up and tightened correctly and that there were no leaks (you can get a leak-spray if you don't want to use the washing-up liquid method) - you need to make sure the connections are tight but do NOT over-tighten them otherwise you could strip the threads.
Compleatly agree, didn't want to argue with @Hettie's Crew in the previous post but I always thought it shouldn't be over tightened , that is the reason a proper calor spanner is short so you can't over tighten.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I fitted my own Gasit installation, I got a pair of hole cutters that they supply at a good price to work with dual skin exterior panels.

Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
thought it shouldn't be over tightened
Bottle to regulator should be tight but the fill side pipe work needs to be very tight because of the high pressure from the filling pump. Not my opinion, but what Autogas 2000 told me when they fitted mine. I think Calor spanners are used on Calor bottles because of the rubber seals in them, refillable systems use compression joints.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Bottle to regulator should be tight but the fill side pipe work needs to be very tight because of the high pressure from the filling pump. Not my opinion, but what Autogas 2000 told me when they fitted mine. I think Calor spanners are used on Calor bottles because of the rubber seals in them, refillable systems use compression joints.
No rubber seals in propane bottles just brass to brass, always puzzled me how it seals but it always seems to(n)(y):)

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I assume by this you mean the hose connections? If so you shouldn't be using any 'sealant' or anything else on them at all.

I’m a retired gas fitter and I know this, but the amount of jobs I went to that the supposed fitter had used large amounts of boss white and blocked the fittings and pipe work.
A light smear on ground fittings does no harm, and another thing with rubber washers they only need fingertight then a pinch with a spanner or if overtightend the rubber washers push out and split and then no amount of tightening will stop the leak.

John.

Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
No rubber seals in propane bottles just brass to brass,
I've never had one with no rubber seal but they do appear to be brass to brass, has that changed, this is the one I was using up to swapping to refillable a couple of years ago.
Anyway, nothing to do with the OP, I wouldn't hesitate to fit my own, as I did originally. The only reason I had this system fitted is because they offered to do it for free when I went to get the bits.

Attachments

• IMG_0049.JPG
    IMG_0049.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 41
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The only DiY difficulty for anyone who isn't very familiar with spanners and fasteners is in developing the 'feel' for correct tightness.

Anyway, on a different subject, my tip for using hole cutters is to drill a small (3mm say) pilot hole before bring the hole cutter anywhere near bodywork. That way it cannot slip.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I've never had one with no rubber seal but they do appear to be brass to brass, has that changed, this is the one I was using up to swapping to refillable a couple of years ago.
Anyway, nothing to do with the OP, I wouldn't hesitate to fit my own, as I did originally. The only reason I had this system fitted is because they offered to do it for free when I went to get the bits.
This is the conventional POL fitting. Rubber seals incorporated in a variation of this seemed to appear when 'hand-tightened' versions appeared.

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
bluesurf989
Jul 26, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 1999
Wow thanks everybody for your input, Amazing as ever.
One on the things that does concern me is the original bulkhead regulator that would stay, i heard these can be problematic!

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Wow thanks everybody for your input, Amazing as ever.
One on the things that does concern me is the original bulkhead regulator that would stay, i heard these can be problematic!

I don't see why, it's the same gas (propane) at the same pressure so what's changed to cause them to fail.
I think the problems might be caused by people not turning off the bottles before filling at the petrol station pump as the pump pressure is very may damage the bulkhead regulator if the bottle are not turned off.

Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
I've never had one fail but when we bought our current Motorhome at one year old I noticed a sticker in the gas box saying a new one had been fitted.
We don't have a filter but if I'm right I think the advice is to loop the pipe down from the regulator then back up to the cylinder, so any contamination gathers at the bottom of the loop, or fit a filter.
Gaslow (R67) have filters in the them and I think Alugas are the same as they have the same valve assembly.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I have seen this many times, where do you find these gas people that are qualified on motorhomes, and do you have to get them to have a look every time you change a calor bottle because it is just the same.
No but if you have an accident causes by the installation and you had been negligent you would find you are not insured. You could also be done for manslaughter.
There are some people that are too incompetent to change a gas bottle! Ive seen them in action.
You should always check for leaks when changing a bottle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back