Gasit Install! (1 Viewer)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I can only speak for myself. I have never employed anyone to do anything, whether the task was domestic, involved motor vehicles, or a motorhome habitation project. I have seen enough work done by 'experts' and qualified tradesmen to know that, in general, l wouldn't want any of them anywhere near anything of mine. Especially if it involved my, or my familys, safety. There are exceptions, people l know personally, and others whose reputation has been built up over many years, but I believe it is foolish at best to entrust any work, let alone safety related work, to anyone just because they hold a 'qualification.' And even worse to do so simply to have a fall guy in case anything goes wrong.

Giorgio Balatoni

Free Member
May 24, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FML
Exp
i'm a newbie
Hi there. I bought a gas it kit from Auto gas Bristol back in July 2017
I fitted it myself in about 35 minutes, and I drove to my local gas supplyer (Andy's gas Bristol ) to fill up, and before filling it it they checked it for me, and said yes this looks fine, and when filled.......no leaks. And I can tell you if I can do it anyone can do it. Go for it. Oh and forgot to say the price is fantastic..... to fill up both containers it cost £15.50.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Sorry about my miss quote as I’ve been retired a few years, fairy liquid corroded aluminium and it was self cleaning flux that corroded stainless steel when idle fitters didn’t wipe it off with damp cloth.

John.
What a lot of people don't realise is that fairy liquid has quite a high salt content, I once had a mate who always used fairy for washing his caravan, and swore by it, but years down the line the aluminium on his caravan started to "pit" it was the salt attacking the aluminium, just like the salt they put on the roads in winter doesn't do vehicles or metal any good.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
... and others who don't know how well we do our own installations etc seem to think they can judge us all by their own aversion.

Don't do it if you don't want to, I'll do it if I want to and make sure it's done correctly and checked regularly ... having had a major issue with a professional installation of a BBQ point in a previous MH which was lethal and caused a 5ft blowtorch I'll rely on myself to get it right thanks.
Quite agree just because some people pay a "professional" doesn't mean the job will be done any better than you can do it yourself, or for that matter doesn't mean it will be done properly, I mean every time we change a wheel, we don't go dashing off to the nearest tyre depot and ask them to check all the wheel nuts for tightness etc, just because they are "professionals".

Jun 17, 2017
Thorpe Willoughby - Selby
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2015
I am also thinking of buying and fitting 2 x 11 kg bottles to my mh.
On “ you tube” there is a video showing you how to fit and he did it himself as well.
If you haven’t started yet watch the video, I think it the guys site called “ our home” but put in gasit bottle installation and it will bring them up, then select our home one. Really useful.

Quote of the day: If at first you don’t succeed then use a bigger hammer

Sep 9, 2016
Nr Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma 89
Exp
Since 2012
Im thinking of buying refillable gas cylinders (GASIT) for the motorhome and fitting them myself.
Avon Autogas in bristol has a offer on for x2 bottles,pipework and external filler.
It seems very straight forward.
Does anybody have any advice?
Many thanks..
Tried both Gaslow and other systems after realising that you need to take the van to the refilling point purchased SafeFill and now I take the cylinders to the filling point that is if you have a Tow Car or other means. Before any other doubters I have never had a problem with any garage or filling station over refilling them. The other benefit is that I can use them at home for the garden Bar B Q and I can take them from Van to Van. Once only buy so why pay for an expensive system that needs inspecting!

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Compleatly agree, didn't want to argue with @Hettie's Crew in the previous post but I always thought it shouldn't be over tightened , that is the reason a proper calor spanner is short so you can't over tighten.
So true, I did my own gas it installation and had to get a new rubber seal from them as I trashed it by over tightening it, my advice is easy to do a self install, tighten up the hoses surely but don't go mad , check with a washing liquid spray as gas it do not use stainless steel hoses and if it's leaking it will make the fairy solution bubble, if so then just tighten up a bit more.
, hardest / most daunting part of doing a self install is cutting the hole in the mh for the filler :)
Also do not use gas thread tape as gas its connections don't need it

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Gas it sell the under slung tanks are they connected with a solid pipe or hose ? Cheers

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Tried both Gaslow and other systems after realising that you need to take the van to the refilling point purchased SafeFill and now I take the cylinders to the filling point that is if you have a Tow Car or other means. Before any other doubters I have never had a problem with any garage or filling station over refilling them. The other benefit is that I can use them at home for the garden Bar B Q and I can take them from Van to Van. Once only buy so why pay for an expensive system that needs inspecting!
I'm pleased you haven't had a problem but others have so unfortunately a Safefill cylinder is by no means a guarantee that you will always be allowed to fill it, the same way that some places don't allow any cylinders, even ones fixed in lockers, to be refilled.

Getting a Safefill cylinder is not a 'once only buy' though, they are still subject to inspection to make sure they are still safe to use so not a fit and forget item.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back