Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Im thinking of buying refillable gas cylinders (GASIT) for the motorhome and fitting them myself.
Avon Autogas in bristol has a offer on for x2 bottles,pipework and external filler.
It seems very straight forward.
Does anybody have any advice?
Many thanks..
Why take the risk with your insurance company should anything go wrong and no matter what people say Gas is very dangerous under the right conditions
For the sake of £100 is it really worth it

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Rather than cut a hole in van, I mounted a bracket to Dethleffs bottle carrier to mount filling point. When you first fill only put small amount in then check for leaks, once fully sealed , fill to capacity and re check.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
My insurance has a clause stating that any damage caused by gas appliances/installation, that hasn't been checked by Gas Safe, isn't insured.

I did mine myself (underslung tank), but then had it certified. For this I called a local caravan park and asked for the name of the gas plumber they use. Figured having a engineer with the certificate to inspect mobile homes was as close as I could get to a motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
My insurance has a clause stating that any damage caused by gas appliances/installation, that hasn't been checked by Gas Safe, isn't insured.

I did mine myself (underslung tank), but then had it certified. For this I called a local caravan park and asked for the name of the gas plumber they use. Figured having a engineer with the certificate to inspect mobile homes was as close as I could get to a motorhome.

Why take the risk with your insurance company should anything go wrong and no matter what people say Gas is very dangerous under the right conditions

So do you get your van checked when you change a bottle.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think that will apply to the likes of cookers, fridges etc, not the exchange bottles as it is normal for them to be'fitted' by the owner and there is no stipulation to have this 'installation' checked so don't see why a refillable system should HAVE to be either, but if you wish to then so be it. :)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006

Good point

I think that will apply to the likes of cookers, fridges etc, not the exchange bottles as it is normal for them to be'fitted' by the owner and there is no stipulation to have this 'installation' checked so don't see why a refillable system should HAVE to be either, but if you wish to then so be it. :)

Think you are right. I just dug out my policy, it does seem to refer to items attached to the gas supply, rather than the gas supply itself.

mh insurnce clause gas.JPG

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Very confident changing a bottle is acceptable to an insurance company, however adding additional pipes in whatever form will certainly be classed as a modification from the original manufactured vehicle and without the correct accreditation will certainly cost far more than the £100 installation from an accredited installer
You pays your money you take your chances, for £100 I know what I would do on a possible £50k investment

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Very confident changing a bottle is acceptable to an insurance company, however adding additional pipes in whatever form will certainly be classed as a modification from the original manufactured vehicle and without the correct accreditation will certainly cost far more than the £100 installation from an accredited installer
You pays your money you take your chances, for £100 I know what I would do on a possible £50k investment
But if you put in exchange cylinders you are still adding pipes ... I've informed my insurers in the past about my Gaslow system and they simply weren't interested as they don't see it as a 'modification' in the normal sense.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
But if you put in exchange cylinders you are still adding pipes ... I've informed my insurers in the past about my Gaslow system and they simply weren't interested as they don't see it as a 'modification' in the normal sense.

Gaslow were installed prior to original delivery (l have the original receipt). They were the early ones with no gauges and a valve guard / handle. The valve guard made routing the stainless hoses very difficult so the installation was extremely untidy and cramped. I removed the bottles, cut down the valve guards to half height & reinstalled everything much more tidily. In doing so l discovered a cross-threaded gas connection left by the professionals. It didn't leak but I've no idea why it didn't. To cross-thread and then tighten a nut that size requires a certain level of impatience and stupidity - not attributes I'd normally associate with a trained technician.

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Play with oxygen and nitrogen pipework when working, also happy with water systems but it's drilling a hole in the MH skirt that worries me.
Is the aluminium skirt strong enough when filling or does it need beefing up a bit?

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Your not adding any additional pipes MG only disconnecting/reconnecting existing pipe that’s fixed to the regulator putting in Gaslow/others involves adding pipes/outlets etc
I bet a pound to a penny that if anything goes wrong the insurance will suddenly be very interested
Personally I would ask them to confirm in writing that having added additional pipes/outlets not fitted by the manufacturer (which were tested/approved by them at manufacturing stage) so you are covered should anything go wrong
Am surprised people do it in all honesty, I bet none of them alter there gas pipes in there house which is far less dangerous than propane etc(y)

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Your not adding any additional pipes MG only disconnecting/reconnecting existing pipe that’s fixed to the regulator putting in Gaslow/others involves adding pipes/outlets etc
I bet a pound to a penny that if anything goes wrong the insurance will suddenly be very interested
Personally I would ask them to confirm in writing that having added additional pipes/outlets not fitted by the manufacturer (which were tested/approved by them at manufacturing stage) so you are covered should anything go wrong
Am surprised people do it in all honesty, I bet none of them alter there gas pipes in there house which is far less dangerous than propane etc(y)

If you do it right then where is the problem, but do it wrong and you have a problem so do it right. If your not up to it or feel that your not up to it then don't do it.
It's ok for you to replace a corroded brake pipe for an MOT with out having it certified and I pretty sure a 3 tonne plus motorhome with brake failure because by you screwed up fitting it is just as dangerous and would give the insurance an opt out, so as I said if your not up to the job then don't do it.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I do - two boilers so far & various gas fires.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I do - two boilers so far & various gas fires.
Just because you can doesn’t mean you should, my car will do 180mph but I don’t do it
Good luck with that if your not gas safe registered
If you do it right then where is the problem, but do it wrong and you have a problem so do it right. If your not up to it or feel that your not up to it then don't do it.
It's ok for you to replace a corroded brake pipe for an MOT with out having it certified and I pretty sure a 3 tonne plus motorhome with brake failure because by you screwed up fitting it is just as dangerous and would give the insurance an opt out, so as I said if your not up to the job then don't do it.
I know how to take teeth out but I don’t do it I go see a dentist
Am confident doing most things and can do them, however where there is a liability issue I pay someone else to take the risk
Just because people think they know how to do certain things doesn’t mean they are correct, they just think they are

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just because people think they know how to do certain things doesn’t mean they are correct, they just think they are
... and others who don't know how well we do our own installations etc seem to think they can judge us all by their own aversion.

Don't do it if you don't want to, I'll do it if I want to and make sure it's done correctly and checked regularly ... having had a major issue with a professional installation of a BBQ point in a previous MH which was lethal and caused a 5ft blowtorch I'll rely on myself to get it right thanks.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
... and others who don't know how well we do our own installations etc seem to think they can judge us all by their own aversion.

Don't do it if you don't want to, I'll do it if I want to and make sure it's done correctly and checked regularly ... having had a major issue with a professional installation of a BBQ point in a previous MH which was lethal and caused a 5ft blowtorch I'll rely on myself to get it right thanks.
I don’t judge anyone just giving an opinion regarding a very dangerous procedure so the OP is aware of the pit falls if he/she does decide to do it.
I see lots of post saying how easy it is which it probably is, however it is dangerous no matter what you or others say and am entitled to say that just as you are entitled to say it’s easy
You do your own van and you only got yourself to blame if it goes wrong, I prefer to use the accredited installer and I can blame him and the courts will if someone is injured

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Just because you can doesn’t mean you should, my car will do 180mph but I don’t do it
Good luck with that if your not gas safe registered

I know how to take teeth out but I don’t do it I go see a dentist
Am confident doing most things and can do them, however where there is a liability issue I pay someone else to take the risk

I can and I do. I know my skills and my capabilities and there are a great many more on this forum who have the skills and know how to carry out their own work for themselves.
When you know me and these others then judge us, so please back off from being so condescending.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I don’t judge anyone just giving an opinion regarding a very dangerous procedure so the OP is aware of the pit falls if he/she does decide to do it.
I see lots of post saying how easy it is which it probably is, however it is dangerous no matter what you or others say and am entitled to say that just as you are entitled to say it’s easy
You do your own van and you only got yourself to blame if it goes wrong, I prefer to use the accredited installer and I can blame him and the courts will if someone is injured
You ARE entitled to your opinion as I am mine and no-one is staying anything against that.

What IMV you are NOT entitled to do is to keep implying how stupid we all are to even consider doing it ourselves ... it is THAT which is coming across in your postings which I, and others I believe, have an issue with.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I can and I do. I know my skills and my capabilities and there are a great many more on this forum who have the skills and know how to carry out their own work for themselves.
When you know me and these others then judge us, so please back off from being so condescending.
Condescending, do me a favour the pot calling the kettle black
Am giving an opinion just because it’s different than yours doesn’t mean am condescending

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Condescending, do me a favour the pot calling the kettle black
Am giving an opinion just because it’s different than yours doesn’t mean am condescending

condescending
kɒndɪˈsɛndɪŋ/
adjective
  1. having or showing an attitude of patronizing superiority.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
You ARE entitled to your opinion as I am mine and no-one is staying anything against that.

What IMV you are NOT entitled to do is to keep implying how stupid we all are to even consider doing it ourselves ... it is THAT which is coming across in your postings which I, and others I believe, have an issue with.
Please don’t put words in my mouth MG, never called anyone stupid
The OP asked about fitting a system I just gave them the other side of that coin
Somebody posted a flippant remark and I responded with one
In all honesty am not that arsed I carry 2 calor has bottles which is enough for me to do 17days in Europe off grid so I would never install one and after what happened to snowbird last year never would
It seems when someone doesnt have the same view people gang up to try and bully you towards there view, good luck with that one :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Please don’t put words in my mouth MG, never called anyone stupid.

It seems when someone doesnt have the same view people gang up to try and bully you towards there view, good luck with that one :)
Please read my comments correctly I said IMPLYING we are stupid, which IMV you are 'saying' in a roundabout way ... the way you word your responses comes across as condescending and making out we are 'stupid' ... you said:
How else are we supposed to take that except as an insult to us ...

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Good luck with your installation (y)

I speak from experience as I have installed a Gas-it system in our last two motorhome.

I think maybe we both need to calm down a little as we have fairly well hijacked this thread.

How about you starting a thread on forum members that have installed their own refillable gas systems and their experiences and pitfalls, if any and in that way we will get a better overview as to whether it's safe to do so.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Please read my comments correctly I said IMPLYING we are stupid, which IMV you are 'saying' in a roundabout way ... the way you word your responses comes across as condescending and making out we are 'stupid' ... you said:

How else are we supposed to take that except as an insult to us ...
Obviously the wrong way that comment was a generalisation and not directed at anyone in particular and it still applies

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Obviously the wrong way that comment was a generalisation and not directed at anyone in particular and it still applies
Is someone speaking? I am sooooo sleepy ..... :sleep:

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I speak from experience as I have installed a Gas-it system in our last two motorhome.

I think maybe we both need to calm down a little as we have fairly well hijacked this thread.

How about you starting a thread on forum members that have installed their own refillable gas systems and their experiences and pitfalls, if any and in that way we will get a better overview as to whether it's safe to do so.
I wasn’t getting upset just trying to be helpful and offering opinions on the pitfalls of doing the install yourself
Some people will think am talking s**t and others will think he has a point, that’s the beauty of opinions

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back