Gasit first fill (1 Viewer)

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
So having fitted my gasit refillable earlier in the week I've just been to get my first fill.

I think that the 80% cut off valve didn't work (I have read -albeit on the gaslow instructions - that this sometimes happens) and ended up just manually stopping.

I also had a leak from the joint where the filler hose joins the cylinder.

Unfortunately I couldn't tell that this was leaking until I looked in the locker after filling.

I have returned home and disconnected this fitting and refitted.

Unfortunately I won't be able to tell if this is fixed until next time I fill.

The problem I have is that I am now nervous about refilling again in case the 80% shut off valve doesn't activate, and on the next fill I'll have no idea how much was in the cylinder to start off with. Has anyone else had this issue?

Of course there is also the possibility that the cylinder did shut off but the gas didn't because it still had somewhere to go because of the slight leak.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Get onto Gasit and see what they say.
You can;t be too carefull with gas......
Cheers, Dave(y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
So having fitted my gasit refillable earlier in the week I've just been to get my first fill.

I think that the 80% cut off valve didn't work (I have read -albeit on the gaslow instructions - that this sometimes happens) and ended up just manually stopping.

I also had a leak from the joint where the filler hose joins the cylinder.

Unfortunately I couldn't tell that this was leaking until I looked in the locker after filling.

I have returned home and disconnected this fitting and refitted.

Unfortunately I won't be able to tell if this is fixed until next time I fill.

The problem I have is that I am now nervous about refilling again in case the 80% shut off valve doesn't activate, and on the next fill I'll have no idea how much was in the cylinder to start off with. Has anyone else had this issue?

Of course there is also the possibility that the cylinder did shut off but the gas didn't because it still had somewhere to go because of the slight leak.

Had a similar problem with mine I didn't realise the filler hose stays full of liquid gas after filling!!. After tightening up the fittings it now seems fine. Gasit were very helpfull give them a ring or if you want a chat pm me your number. How many litres did you put in remember an 11KG cyl will take about 22 litres it might have not been 80% full.

David

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Strange that, I had similer with mine, the joint is like a bell end and if you don't get it straight on it leaks, but when I could see what had happened , just made sure it was lined up, and never been any trouble since

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The first fill is always a bit of an 'unknown' as not only does the bottle have to fill but the pipe too, so it will actually take more than the expected 80%, after that though you won't get anything like as much in. Just make sure everything is fitted and tightened up correctly as you would with a non-refillable system, get some gas join spray to check for leaks if you're worried, or some water with washing up liquid in it. Alternatively go to a local MH/Caravan dealer/workshop and ask them to put their gas leak detector on it for peace of mind.

OP
OP
Stroppy Bird
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for the replies everyone. I emailed gasit yesterday evening and Nick emailed back out of hours last night with some helpful advice. He thinks that the leak would account for the discrepancy in litres and says that all their fill valves are fully tested before being sent out and they've not had a faulty one yet.

I think I've just had first fill jitters. I've taken the filler hose off and refitted it, so hopefully on my next fill it will be ok.

Can't fault gasit customer service. They've been excellent.

Now to try and fix the computer which has decided to get stuck on the starting windows page

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Stroppy Bird
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Should have gone to Dave Newell !!!!! Simples !:restmycase:
Had it been an external fill point I probably would have. But the internal was just a couple of joins more than when I exchange the calor.

I've got leak detector and only one of the joints was leaking. So that's refitted and hopefully problem solved. Will probably run it to empty so I know how much will need to go in.

I think all that's happened is I've vented a couple of litres into the air through the leak.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back