Gasit fill point (1 Viewer)

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
What do people think of this, I certainty didn't drill two different size holes for my filler.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Wonder how well it works on a grp skin it looks like all the load is on the outer skin if the gun is attached and left dangling I would have thought cracking quite likely.

OP
OP
Boringfrog
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
On the gasit website it says just use a 70mm?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I would be more worried about the small amount of gas that escapes which breaks down the van insulation material, as they have clearly had some issues with this otherwise why mention it, maybe the reason for an internal hole of 85mm

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have one in the garage to fit this week. I can see why two different sized holes are required if mounting through an insulated MH body panel, rather than the thin metal skin of a car or van which was mentioned in the video.

The back box mates up snug to the main body of the filler unit and sandwiches the GRP skin between the two parts. A single 70mm hole would mean the back box would be the thickness of the entire body panel from the main unit. It wouldn't bolt up properly and even if you used longer bolts there would then be an issue with fitting the hose to the bottles.

Mine will be fitted to a skirt panel, so only requires the 70mm hole. It will be supported with a bracing strut to the chassis to better bear the weight of the filler gun.

Hope this helps clear this up. :)

OP
OP
Boringfrog
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I have one in the garage to fit this week. I can see why two different sized holes are required if mounting through an insulated MH body panel, rather than the thin metal skin of a car or van which was mentioned in the video.

The back box mates up snug to the main body of the filler unit and sandwiches the GRP skin between the two parts. A single 70mm hole would mean the back box would be the thickness of the entire body panel from the main unit. It wouldn't bolt up properly and even if you used longer bolts there would then be an issue with fitting the hose to the bottles.

Mine will be fitted to a skirt panel, so only requires the 70mm hole. It will be supported with a bracing strut to the chassis to better bear the weight of the filler gun.

Hope this helps clear this up. :)
I fitted mine through the body, gaslow provide two different length screws for this purpose.

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Best I go back and have another look in the box, then. :) Doesn't change how I'll be fitting it but useful for others to know of the fitting options available.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If it were me I would stick with your original plan a lot easier to fix the skirt panel if it cracks than deal with a problem with the motorhome wall. It sounds like the fixing is designed for a different use how can it deal with all the different types of motorhome wall construction?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I fitted mine through the body, gaslow provide two different length screws for this purpose.
But you said "Gaslow" is this the difference (do gas low give you long screws as the boxes are all the same) the OP is "Gas-it" and the guy on the video is fitting a fill point with a angled brass connector so the back box will have to be recessed to let the hose connect, a straight connector will come out of the back no problem.

I have just been outside and looked at ours and it's "Gaslow" with long screws and straight brass fitting out the back of the box.

Personally I wouldn't want to make two holes isolating the outside skin and run the risk of pulling it away from its insulation.

Martin

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
What funflair just said. :)

Gaslow is different to Gas-it, clearly. Only one length of fixing screws in the Gas-it kit. I can see no other way of fitting a Gas-it filler to an insulated body panel than to bore the larger diameter hole through from the inside to take the wider diameter of the box, which is actually a 2-part cylinder comprising flanged inner and outer sleeves.

Good point about separation of outer skin from the insulation, which is another good reason for going the skirt-mount route.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Wonder how well it works on a grp skin it looks like all the load is on the outer skin if the gun is attached and left dangling I would have thought cracking quite likely.
Totally agree, if I HAD to fit it in the way mentioned (as a last resort only) I would certainly be looking to put some sort of bracing plate on the inside to give the wall more rigidity, there are much better places to fit the filler IMV.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back