Dave O

Free Member
Mar 8, 2018
Treswell
Funster No
MH
Chausson 716 flash
Exp
Hi my Motorhome is using propane at the moment if I change to butane do I just change the bottle and regulator

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
If you are thinking of going over the channel you are better off fitting refillable bottles as the Uk ones are not available on the other side.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I see no reason why you should change the regulator ??? You don't say if you have refillable bottles or not so hard to answer that bit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dave O

Dave O

Free Member
Mar 8, 2018
Treswell
Funster No
MH
Chausson 716 flash
Exp
I bought a second hand spanish gas bottle with regulator but it is butane. The bottle is exchangeable not refillable

Upvote 0

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
It would just be bottle and regulator change, pipe connection standard

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
You will require a hose and regulator to suit the Spanish bottle. the hose will then fit to your van regulator

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Hi my Motorhome is using propane at the moment if I change to butane do I just change the bottle and regulator
It would help if you provided a bit more information. i.e. How is your motorhome currently set up ? What system do you have fitted ? If its Gaslow then you need to get a pipe that screws into your filler point and a connector for the bottle. Both these are available on the Gaslow web site or the website your set up is from. If not have a look at the Gasit website (https://www.gasit.co.uk/) everything you need will be available from there. They will also explain everything to you if you need it spelling out in simple terms. They are holiday at the moment but there website is active. Best of luck.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
It would depend on whether your regulator is bulk head mounted or on the end of the hose.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dave O

Dave O

Free Member
Mar 8, 2018
Treswell
Funster No
MH
Chausson 716 flash
Exp
Same regulator that’s good to know thanks

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Why would you want to change to butane another month or so you will need to change back to propane.

Made the mistake of going to France in Winter with butane...........wondered why my gas wouldn't light:doh:

Upvote 0

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
In Spain I have found that they will not swap a butane bottle for a propane or other way, unless you have very good Spanish and know how to pass a folded tenner to the right guy. But for a tenner you might as well buy another bottle. Never needed propane in Spain in winter yet. But now have refillable's.
If you have a bulkhead regulator then you need to get a different connection which looks like a Spanisg regulator but is just a tap, "detonder" or something like it in French don't know the Spanish name.
Best of luck.
Steve

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
It will depend on how your gas is connected.

Modern vans have a (bulkhead) regulator fixed to a wall within the bottle locker. Bulkhead regulators (at 30mb) do not need to be changed: you can use Propane or Butane with them. You need to have a hose with a connection that matches the bottle you want to use. These hoses are ‘high’ pressure and screw (RH thread) onto the regulator (LH onto the bottle).

Older vehicles expect the regulator to be fitted directly to the cylinder, so you would need a regulator that matches the bottle. The ‘low’ pressure hose from it will just push onto a fitting in the gas locker.

Not sure why you need to use Butane, but that wasn’t your question.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
In Spain I have found that they will not swap a butane bottle for a propane or other way, unless you have very good Spanish and know how to pass a folded tenner to the right guy. But for a tenner you might as well buy another bottle. Never needed propane in Spain in winter yet. But now have refillable's.
If you have a bulkhead regulator then you need to get a different connection which looks like a Spanisg regulator but is just a tap, "detonder" or something like it in French don't know the Spanish name.
Best of luck.
Steve
But you live in the south of France Steve, when traveling across Spain from the north nightime temps can be down to zero even in April.

Another thing Truma heaters don't like butane the flow rate can be too low, best to stick with propane.

Upvote 0
Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
I bought a second hand spanish gas bottle with regulator but it is butane. The bottle is exchangeable not refillable
If the Moho has a fixed regulator, take your Spanish cylinder to a good dealer and buy a suitable adaptor which is what you need. Not another regulator. It will probably be a Gaslow product. Also have a look at their catalogue on line. That may tell you which one you need. Mike

Upvote 0
Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
@Dave O You may already have an adaptor not a regulator. Have a look at the Gaslow catalogue and compare 01-1671 the Jumbo adaptor (Spanish butane) with yours. If they are the same just connect to your moho regulator. You may also need a pigtail.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back