LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I am toying with the idea of changing to Gaslow, I am fed up with 6kg propane .

I have two choices. Butan 7kg, which may not get into the locker.

The second option is Galsow. Has any one worked out the cost? How many litres make 1kg?
What is the return on investment? I have been quoted £665.80 for 2 x 6kg.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ta

ShiftZZ

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi, 2 ltrs is as near a Kilo as dammit. We have two 12 kg gaslows (came with the van) we find the cost when buying (from Morrisons) at 49.5p a Litre is at worst half the cost of a 13kg bottle of Propane in our area. If I bought another van I would have it fitted a; for the cost and b; for the convenience. :thumb:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I am also looking at Gaslow bottles Ive got two 6kg calor and they now cost £36.00 to fill both. The Gaslow system if you fit yourself could be done for about 350 if you are reasonablt handy.
1 kilo of lpg is approx 2 litres so if you got calor it it works out at £1.50 a litre but with a fill yourself system I think its 60p a litre it would soon pay for itself :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Our van had a refillable cylinder when we bought it.
I had no previous knowledge of this system but would not go back to struggling to get cylinders in and out of a locker.
The cost is tiny compared to the cost of the van so any future van will be fitted with refillable tank as soon as poss. Only change would be to consider an underslung tank to free up the gas locker for more wine.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
and if you go somewhere like BATA (british agricultural traders association) if will be even cheaper as they should only charge 5% duty on 'domestic' heating fuel.:thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
What is the return on investment? I have been quoted £665.80 for 2 x 6kg.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Ta
ShiftZZ

Sounds a lot of money, our 6kg gaslow bottles are £120 each, might be worth giving Darren a ring and asking him.

Peter

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
I agree sounds a bit pricey, why fit two Gaslows? We just have one and a calor in reserve. So far we have always managed to refil in time without dipping into the reserve. We like the system as we can top up in France, Spain, Portugal,

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I fitted twin 6kg gaslow bottles hoses and manual change over valve plus filler and bracket, I brought them direct from gaslow and all the materials cost a total of £410.
I know I wont ever get my money back on gas savings, but i will never have to lift heavy gas bottles again.
John.
Ps it took me aprox 1-1/2hours to fit.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hi. Best thing we ever fitted. I had it done a few months ago before we headed off into Europe for a long trip. Not sure where you guys are getting your quotes from but I had one 12KG bottle fitted with hoses and a filler cap on the side of the van and I think the whole lot came to about £265. The guys took around an hour to fit it while I waited and then showed me how it all works. On our recent trip we topped up every 2 weeks or so at a cost of about a fiver. On the last day we ran out after 3 and a half weeks. Filled up on the motorway at a total cost of I think £11 something. As its so cheap you dont tend to be so miserly about using it. We have our fridge on gas all the time (except when driving) and often use the oven liberally and heating when we need it. I do carry a 6KG normal propane bottle as well but Ive never needed it. The chaps that fitted ours are in the North East and are on the Gas Low dealer site. Highly recommended

A A CADMAN GAS SUPPLIES Fits & Sells Refillable Cylinders
17 FORGE YARD
CLEVELAND INDUSTRIAL ESTATE
ALBERT ROAD
DARLINGTON
CO DURHAM
DL1 2PJ
01325 363589

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
Several considerations.

First is difference in cost between autogas and leisure gas. If you are a weekend warrior or just use the MH for annual vacation, or spend most of your time in camping grounds on EHU then you will NEVER come close to getting your money back.

Then there is lugging heavy gas bottles around. Bit of a phurphy in most cases. 6kg bottles aren't heavy and even 13kg ones not a major problem considering it doesn't have to be done all that often. Get the sales assistant to put it straight in the locker for you.

Availability of autogas depends on where you are. In Morocco, not available. Spain, difficult to find but getting better. Scandinavia, also scarce. Iceland not available

Use of autogas in winter - can be problematic, especially if you fill up in Spain and then use it in the Alps in winter.

Some of your appliances may not work well on butane and may need new jets fitted.

Big advantage of autogas is that you can top up at any time without waiting for a bottle to empty. Most dispensers have a 5 Litre minimum so it's not hard to make sure you have enough space to take that amount.

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
The quote I got was at the show in Newbury, the following is what was offered.

1 x 6Kg = £468.50
2X 6KG = £665.80
All fitted...

I still have the document to hand, are we allowed to name and shame..???

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
Hi I had a lpg tank fitted to my swift voyager, it`s great never going back to bottled gas ever again. The advantage of a tank is that it free`s the gas bottle locker for use as extra storage.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
When we bought our current, and first MH, we had a twin 11kg Gaslow fitted by the dealer. We did not consider the recovery of capital cost to break-even point that would result from cheaper LPG; just saw it as part of the cost of buying the MH. (I think it was between £400-£500 in early 2007.) I did not want to have the bother of heaving heavy cylinders in and out of the locker. Also, wanted the facility to re-fill abroad, rather than having to get local cylinders. So far. we have never been abroad for long enough to run out!
Regarding costs of LPG, my most recent invoice was charged at 40.2p per litre. That's 38.3p plus 5% VAT. I have an account with Countrywide Farmers, who have a network of filling points throughout the Midlands and SW, accessible 24/7 via an electronic key and PIN number.

Gaslow is a very convenient system that, in my view, would be bettered only by a fixed tank.

Philip

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I needed to change to refillables, because to date I've had 3 operations to my shoulders and 2 ops to my left elbow, so lifting and manouvering gas bottles is difficult for me.

John.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you can fit a bulk head filling point and fill any bottle saving lots on the way .there is nothing that special about gaslowbottles,

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
there is nothing that special about gaslowbottles
Just a tad disingenuous that statement if not downright wrong.

Gaslow sell re-fillable bottles with 80% cut off valves (which some claim can fail!) and dedicated fill + gas takeoff fittings and are regarded by the LPG industry as safer than any DIY installation which does not include a cut off. (The industry does not regard an easily distracted human as a safe 80% cut off)
There is some doubt as to the legal and insurance situation regarding fitting a non-user re-fillable bottle with a permanent filling fitting.

This of course is in danger of becoming the gas version of the 'polarity' thread.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Dare I even mention propane gas refill adapters for use on ordinary bottles for under £40, ah well perhaps no with the Wally around:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
never mind wildman . we know a good thing when we see it. dont know what these folk think happened years ago before the likes of gaslow. been people filling bottles ever since they were invented. ive got a 1970 calor tank here looks very much like a bottle on its side to me. with no end caps fitted. shall we talk about aframes now or can you think of something new. lol.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Do you know what? Ive been away for 3 months and not bothered to go on Motorhome Book Face and I come back and I think this is the same rant that was going on when I left! ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:. Dont forget you lot who are wise and clever in the ways of DIY and making your own Gaslow systems that most of us and I include me at the top of this list here are clueless and scared of things like Gas and Electric and would rather leave it to the experts. Mind you there does seem to be a big discrepency in what people are paying or being quoted. Think I got a bargain at £265 and I reckon (not that im bothered) that it will pay for itself in a year or two.

Carry on.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
m,homes greatest talking points are :gas,aframes,toilets,water,parking,solar panels,batteries, generators i could go on. no matter where in the world you are they come up all the time. if you stay here n live n work you just keep blaming the govt/someone else its life.have fun.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the reason the same points are dicussed all the time is that newbies all have the same questions, yet being newbies have not masterered the art of searching for related threads, and when they do and post an answer then someone else jumps down their throat pointing out the thread is x years old. then again if the same topics were not discussed there would be no posts. Just like any magazine, take out a 12 month subscription and everything is covered, only to be rehashed the following year.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
m,homes greatest talking points are :gas,aframes,toilets,water,parking,solar panels,batteries, generators i could go on. no matter where in the world you are they come up all the time. if you stay here n live n work you just keep blaming the govt/someone else its life.have fun.
Don't forget motor bikes Vwalan.

John.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hello john forgot you had a harley trying to be a japanese custom bike converted to a trike.lol. like the toe cart . we wont mention if a trailers got brakes fitted they must work .iknow you only use it for recovery ,it is a harley.ha,ha, took two bikes to malvern then on to wales never got them out the back, must be losing the plot. ;;;what about football?gas the lot players n spectators .that always gets it going.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
hello john forgot you had a harley trying to be a japanese custom bike converted to a trike.lol. like the toe cart . we wont mention if a trailers got brakes fitted they must work .iknow you only use it for recovery ,it is a harley.ha,ha, took two bikes to malvern then on to wales never got them out the back, must be losing the plot. ;;;what about football?gas the lot players n spectators .that always gets it going.
Well it has a breakaway cable fitted to the trikes handbrake, can't stand football and as for gas it's what I do for a living.

John.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
john ,is that gas the football regime?could you not do cricket ,snooker ,golf as well. we could have bikes on the telly all the time then. ride on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back