Gas vs Electric Refrigeration (1 Viewer)

R

RockieRV

Deleted User
Ok so here is the question.

In a field with no electric, so LPG powering the fridge. It is so much colder than electric, that it freezes everything.

So, two questions -

Why?

and howcome the coldest part of an RV fridge is at the top, when cold air is heavier than warmer air?

(BTW I understand -80 C refrigeration, I just don't understand this)

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
That's funny.....mine normally freezes the stuff in the salad bins at the bottom :RollEyes:

Why they run colder on gas I have no idea......probably the same reason the Magic Chef will cremate the bottom of a pizza whilst leaving the top beautifully frozen.........an RV appliance manufacturers trade secret which they have probably spent years developing! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
R

RockieRV

Deleted User
Thanks Linda. 17 views and just one response........... so you all know what I am talking about, but nobody knows why :ROFLMAO: Now I don't feel so bad.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks Linda. 17 views and just one response........... so you all know what I am talking about, but nobody knows why :ROFLMAO: Now I don't feel so bad.....

We are far too polite on here to embarrass you Sharon :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We have 2 temperature regulating dials on our fridge, one for gas and the other for electric which may explain the difference in temperatures.
Why is it colder at the top?? My only thought on this is that as cold air falls, perhaps the refrigeration matrix is positioned at the top of the unit to allow the cold air to drp to the bottom of the fridge. Hence the coldest air is always at the top.

I'll get me coat

OP
OP
R

RockieRV

Deleted User
Thanks Brisey.

And Jim - :roflmto: Go for it, especially as we know each other :ROFLMAO:

sammclouis

Account Deactivated
Aug 14, 2007
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
we have not noticed a difference between elec 'n' gas..but once dave turned the dial up to 7 (when we just had the motorhome) ...ever tried frozen mushrooms & carrots...not bad!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
OK.... without getting involved in a discussion about thermal dynamics :roflmto:
Gas heating on the heat exchanger is far more efficient than the electric element, there is more energy released from the gas burner and so the rate of temperature rise is higher, therefore the more heat is removed from the fridge, I do have a real techy document somewhere if anyone is really interested. I think that Brisey is right, the evaporator is at the top of the fridge so that the local area to the evap will be much colder and the food on the shelves traps the colder air toward the top of the fridge whereas the air at the bottom is warmed to some extent by the food in the box, if that all makes sense :roflmto:
Beat ya to it Jim :ROFLMAO:

Keith

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi

On gas during the winter this is noticable due to how the heat exchanger works on a three way fridge, the cooling is dependant on the ambient temperatures, that is why there are winter covers to stop the outside cooler temperatures over freezing the fridge.

Under normal operating temperatures (summer usage) you will find that 12v tends to overfreeze and the gas due to Ambient temperatures as a harder job cooling.

The other point that is hard to express is that 100 C represent different amounts of heat energy depending on the medium, Air and water at 100 C have the same temperature, but different amounts of heat energy.

If you stick your hand in an oven at 100 C and wave it about no problem put your hand in water at the same temperature and you will require hospital treatment for scalding.

George

PS time to fit the winter vent covers

OP
OP
R

RockieRV

Deleted User
Thanks everyone - I'm still glad I asked!! ::bigsmile:
Any more answers gratefully received.....

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Didnt finish off as I noticed Keith as pretty much nailed the top vs bottom temperature differential

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi George
Don't say nailed...... That could lead to a hole :ROFLMAO: and as it is my fridge that Sharon is talking about I don't want any holes in it :ROFLMAO:
I like your oven / bucket of water analogy, sums it up pretty well in my opinion.

Keith

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp
:whatthe:what my fridge runs on gas too!!!!!:roflmto: i!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Eeek:

:Doh: ray

BGD

Banned
Aug 20, 2007
Costa Blanca, Spain.
Funster No
I know why the air at the top is colder than below.................your fridge has in fact been fitted upside-down.

Remove it, up-end it, replace it, and all will undoubtedly be fine.

Alternatively, I guess you could leave the fridge in situ, but turn the motorhome upside down.

:Cool:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: Just as an addition to this thread about LPG as against Electricity. If you are on a camp site that you have to pay by the KW? It would be cheaper to run on LPG than on Elecgtricity. :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back