Gas vent cover (1 Viewer)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
The motorhome is now on our drive and the first of my many stupid questions :Blush:

On our hand over we were told to take of the vent cover for the gas when in the van. Does this mean we always take if off? Even if we are not using gas? Why is the vent cover there if it needs to be off all the time?

:Blush: sorry i know it may seem obvious but i think i am missing something.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Presumably you mean the cover for the Truma water heater vent. It needs to be taken off for the heater to work but should be in place when you are travelling to stop muck and insects getting blown in.

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Ok thanks, so do you only need it off when heating water or does the hot water heater stay on all the time?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As above... and make sure you clip it back on correctly or you will drive away and it will blow off costing your about ÂŁ29... Guess who did that..:Doh:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Ok thanks, so do you only need it off when heating water or does the hot water heater stay on all the time?
take it off when you park the van up to use it, but put back on before driving away. strictly speaking you only need to remove it if heating on gas as the air for the flame comes through the vent.

have seen them with mouse nests and spiders webs in causing problems. if you forget to remove it, the heater wont stay alight on gas for safety reasons

Aug 14, 2013
DĂ©partement 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Heater vent cover

My normal procedure when parking up for the night is to turn the gas on, take the vent cover off and put it in front of the speedo, behind the steering wheel. That way, if I forget to refit the cover when turning the gas off again I see it as soon as I get in the driver's seat. I have the circular cover - quarter turn twist on, twist off.

J

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
So if i am only using gas for cooking do i still take the cover off? We will be on hookup when we are away. The heating is diesel so nothing to do with the vent?

Told you My questions are or i am stupid :Blush:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The cover is only for the water heater when on gas so it can stay on if you use the hob, grill, fridge on gas or water heater if you are on an electric hook up and switch the water heater to electric only. You will soon know if you forget to take the cover off with the boiler on gas because you will have no hot water!!!. When you take the cover off or on press down on the top as you lever it off at the bottom to make it easier to remove and be less likely to crack it around the bottom. The boiler has 2 switches one for electric the other gas The gas one can be switched on up or down depending on how hot you want the water to be . If you are on a hook up the only advantage of using gas is its probably a bit quicker if you use it with the electric as well

David

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
As David said, there are two switches for water heating, gas and electric.

If you can't hook up to mains and you want hot water you will have to use the gas. Therefore take the vent cover off.

However, we leave the switch for the electric heating always ON at the lower setting so any time we hook up then the water starts heating without us remembering to turn the switch on.

I told you can heat with electric on hook up AND the gas (remembering to take vent cover off) at the same time if your in a real hurry for hot water.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Believe me you will know if you manage to get the boiler to light on gas if you havn't removed the cover, there will be one all mighty bang and a cover flying to the other side of the campsite, seen it happen a couple of times now.

Dobe

Free Member
Jun 26, 2022
Funster No
MH
Lunar roadstar
Believe me you will know if you manage to get the boiler to light on gas if you havn't removed the cover, there will be one all mighty bang and a cover flying to the other side of the campsite, seen it happen a couple of times now.

Dobe

Free Member
Jun 26, 2022
Funster No
MH
Lunar roadstar
I am a total newbie and just done that it banged and blew it off ,do you know if everything is ok after doing this it's the 1st time I've had to learn everything ,I'm just worried it blew boiler ,I've just gone home now

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I am a total newbie and just done that it banged and blew it off ,do you know if everything is ok after doing this it's the 1st time I've had to learn everything ,I'm just worried it blew boiler ,I've just gone home now
Just try the boiler and see. We've forgotten a few times but nothing like that happened I wonder if it indicates there is an issue with the controls.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
9 times out of 10 it does nothing more than make a loud bang and burn off all the cobwebs in the vent. You would have to be very unlucky to damage the boiler

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back