Gas Usage Seems High In Adria Sunliving (1 Viewer)

cheshirepaul

Free Member
Jan 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
adria
Hi

I have an Adria Motorhome which is not used at present. I have the heating set to 1 / 1.5 on the thermostat dial. I have used 6 kilos of propane in three days this seems excessive
Thank you in advance

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi welcome,

that does seem a bit high 12 liters ( approx ) in 3 days. how are you measuring gas used?

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
That seems about right in the temperatures at the moment. We could use 8kg in two days in Winter. Even set low it will chug the gas in these temperatures.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
It will be on 24/7 for the 3 days it's been on that's why it's a high useage.you don't really need to heat your van up internally if it's stood over wintering unless your in it.

Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
Not a criticism as people have different ideas but I wonder why people heat their motorhomes when not in use. Never hear of anyone heating cars or caravans when not in use and motorhomes are just a combination of car/caravan so why do people heat them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I would suggest that you install an accurate thermometer inside outside the van to monitor temps.
A few of us have something like this fitted, even buy extra sensors for inside the fridge. (y)
Amazon product ASIN B075VMLZB9Vans do use a lot of gas when parked up in low temperatures like we are enduring at the moment, I have our van stat set to 7 degrees C and did have it on 240v hook up, but it was drawing 1KW per hour and using an average of 12kw per day @£0.16, costing us £1.92 per day or £60PCM :eek:
I bought a 500watt oil filled radiator from Screwfix set to 6 degrees, this saves wear & tear on the Truma boiler & costs less to keep the van from freezing.

I have drained the van completely, so no risk of pipes/taps freezing.
I know many say not to heat the van over winter and give the example of hundreds of vans on dealer forecourts etc not being heated but I like to keep the van dry along with the stuff that's inside it. (lithium batteries if you have them)

Another alternative that many full-timers have implemented is the use of a diesel heater, they are cheap to buy and easy to install, very handy when long term off grid in winter, especially now that LPG fillings stations are becoming rarer these days.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
To me 6kg of gas is very high. We had filled up every two weeks to keep the van above freezing when not in useand consumption from 8 to 12l max with outside temperature at night as low as -18, mostly -12C. We are actually very surprised how long the gas can last. Maybe you meant 6L instead kg?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
It's obvious that the gas consumption when heating up from cold depends on the power of the heating system. What's not so obvious is the long-term steady-state consumption once it's reached the target temperature.That depends only on the heat loss, in other words the insulation of every part of the bodywork. To minimise this you should use silver screens inside and/or outside, and block rooflights with cut foam pieces, or at least close the blinds.

If it's losing 500W of heat through the walls and windows, the heating system will consume enough gas to generate 500W of heat. If it's a 2000W heater, the thermostat will switch it on for 1/4 of the time. So the important thing is to stop the heat loss.

RobL

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Minchinhampton
Funster No
MH
American rv purchasing.
Exp
Since 2008
I don't heat in the winter unless obviously in use (not much chance this year!!) Heating intermittently probably will do more harm than good. Warm air and cold surfaces are not good causing condensation. Only a personal opinion.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
I also have a sunliving van but dont bother heating it.
Think the clue might be in the brand name. I have had a few interior panels off and there does not to seem to be a great deal of insulation behind them.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
It's interesting reading the replies to the op, s question. Is his gas consumption is excessive?
He still has no idea, except don't use it when you are not living in the van. :LOL:

OP
OP
C

cheshirepaul

Free Member
Jan 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
adria
Hello

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. It was a new 6 kilo bottle .. emptied .. Its about 14 degrees in there set on 1.5. I think I will have the thermostat checked

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
In germany i used 36 litres in 3 days

Must have been minus15,but I was toasty warm in a t shirt in the moho.
Its all relative. Some will close all their blinds early.
Some will put jumpers on.
Some will turn the heating down.
Its different for everyone.
There was a time when I loved having a freezing cold breeze over my bed.
Not any more! 🤣🤣🤣

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Hello

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. It was a new 6 kilo bottle .. emptied .. Its about 14 degrees in there set on 1.5. I think I will have the thermostat checked
Without much more information I would personally say it’s about right , the boss can burn a 6 kg in a day if it’s cold winter weather 😂
Average winter cold weather we go through an 11 or 13 in around 3 days and tend to carry a spare 19kg as back up 👍⚠️

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The condensation I get is quite heavy but only on the inside of the windscreen when there is snow, like today.

Scraped the snow off, then did the inside with the Karcher windowvac finishing off with a microfibre cloth. I also put on top of the dash a couple of those accessory bags containing silica gel that are supposed to absorb humidity but so far they haven't been very effective.

I don't heat the van when it is sitting on the drive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back