Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The regs say that any van built after 2004 must have a 30mbar bulk head mounted regulator (UK built) connected by a pigtail which is no longer than 400mm plus
fittings. Connecting a cylinder through the bbq point in no way complies with this.

Which "regs" are these please? Bear in mind that all motorhomes and caravans are exempt from the general gas regs unless hired out as part of a business, this is the reason we can work on their gas systems without being Gas safe registered. Having said that I don't agree with running gas into a motorhome via the BBQ point, far better to use the Gaslow reserve cylinder hose but of course you do need to have a refillable system in place for that.

D.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Something else to think about , every BBQ outlet I have ever fitted to customers vehicles clearly state in the instructions that they should not be used as a gas inlet point, if there was an accident of somekind what would the the insurance implications be if it was discovered that the BBQ outlet was in fact being used as an inlet

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Well it isn't idiot proof for sure so you need to know what you are doing and exercise due diligence. It is a temporary arrangement.
As Dave said the gas fill point is the better option and personally I carry the hose but it is not an option for those without refillables.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
a lot of plug in points are marketed sold and fitted as an "Extend-a-stay".
Whilst gas engineers have to abide by every last nuance of the rules members of the public are not bound by the same rules. They do things at their own risk. Our van has a fixed tank so ample room in the gas locker for a bottle to be secured and connected via the BBQ/Test point. I have never had cause to use it but would have no qualms in doing so.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
They are 400mm of rubber plus fittings So yes 500mm in total. (I'm a fully qualified motorhome engineer and have just completed my gas renewal certificate)

750mm is permissible in motorhomes with a slide out gas bottle tray. The 1.2 and 1.5m hoses are for engineers to use when testing with an external bottle.

So you are telling us that Gaslow et al are breaking the law or aiding us to break the law by selling longer hoses without stating the circumstances in which they may be used?

If this is the case perhaps you should bring it to their attention.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I have a calor lite that is the subject of a product recall so this weekend I used the contents before I exchange it for a full one free. So just pretend that my van is a big Cadac and we're sorted. http://www.calor.co.uk/recall
CA_02081514094963-X2.jpg

Last edited:

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
I give in, I try and help by giving you the best advice and all I get is criticism. What I have told you is true, if you choose to ignore that advice its up to you. Any qualified motorhome engineer will you the same information. To go back to the original post - its not okay to feed gas in via a bbq point.

Jan 9, 2013
Newbury
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Safe journey Klaus Knaus - missing you here at Bonterra, and hope you got back to the UK safely. x

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back