Gas Struts please Help Mrs Haggers (1 Viewer)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
As on another thread I have purchased a new matress which is superb and makes sleeping in the van like sleeping at home, in fact better.

But Mrs Haggers is weak Weak I tell you!!!!

Now, the Mattress is much heavier and sits on a french bed and lifted open with the help of gas struts. It would appear that these struts are now no longer strong enough to help her.

I have no idea about this and my preference was simply to send her to a military style training camp to build up her muscles in order for her to perform said task. She is however not too keen on this idea and is more insistant that I sort the issue out.

So in all seriousness, are gas struts made stronger and more powerful and if replaced would help with the job? or is there a potential to maybe even fit an hydraulic motor to lift the bed?

tia

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
morning Paul

For the easier option of swapping gas struts, either for new same that might be stronger or a stronger version of what you have, these are the people to talk to, good products, great knowledge, brilliant support

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/

if you can check what is both ends of yours they will be able to match the fittings, I even changed my own, albeit on cupboards not a bed :)(y)

edit - they will need to know the length and a rating which should be printed on the side (y)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We used to buy in replacement gas struts from RS Components, they come set at "maximum". You fit them in place, then carefully operate them, if they are "over enthusiastic", you let a little bit of gas pressure out via a small Allen screw until you get to the appropriate action.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Another vote for SGS, they will pressurise the struts to your requirements, very helpful company.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Just be careful that the mountings are up to handling the extra force
+ another vote for SGS

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
it's a rapido, Mercedes based A Class .. I will try the SGS company, so will stronger ones help with the bed lift then?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
it's a rapido, Mercedes based A Class .. I will try the SGS company, so will stronger ones help with the bed lift then?
They will help but Nikki my be hanging in mid air trying to get it back down. :D

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Thanks for the link @DavidG58 just been on the site and bought,,,,,

An Air compressor !!!!!!:doh::doh:

Will have to get the struts off and measure properly

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes, but don't get them uprated too much as you will find it going up on its own.
You might be able to measure the downward force by disconnecting the originals & using bathroom scales to measure the downfoorce that it has now.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
@haganap - is the new mattress much thicker & firmer than the old one?

If it is then it may be that the "inboard" (now thicker & stronger) edge of the mattress is now getting compressed and crushed against the side if the MoHo thus making it much more difficult to raise the bed - this happened to the single beds in my last van when I put thicker sprung mattresses on them :)

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We bought new gas struts for our Rapido, but the Ones for the front drop down bed, also from sgs engineering, think they are at Derby

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
You may have 'fun' fitting struts to a drop down bed because they will be exerting their full force if you try to remove or fit them with the bed in the down position.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Being a big strong man , Paul, why don’t you just lift the bed up ? ;)(y)

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
If it had been a Hymer I would have suggested taking it to Peter Hambilton. I took mine there because the rams are under a considerable pressure and were difficult to access. He told me that one chap tried to do it himself and one of the rams shot through the windscreen.:(

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Think outa the box

HERE

I like this idea, will have to measure up .

Being a big strong man , Paul, why don’t you just lift the bed up ? ;)(y)

ha ha, I think its a stuglle to get the wine out and hold the bed up with one arm, especially when Nikki;s asleep on it...

@haganap - is the new mattress much thicker & firmer than the old one?

If it is then it may be that the "inboard" (now thicker & stronger) edge of the mattress is now getting compressed and crushed against the side if the MoHo thus making it much more difficult to raise the bed - this happened to the single beds in my last van when I put thicker sprung mattresses on them :)

yes this is an issue, but the mattresses weight is also the main issue.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I used this company last week:

https://www.gasspringsshop.co.uk

They have several brands and many variations of spec. They also have a nice simple calculator you can use. Really you just need to measure up the piston diameter, piston length and overall strut length, hopefully on the sticker it will give you the N (Newton) rating i.e. how strong it is although for a bed it should be that much. Mine came within 2 days and were straight replacements, took 15mins to swap out from the 15yr old ones that had leaked and just didn't have any umpffffff.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back