Gas regulator (1 Viewer)

Mar 8, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E599
Exp
Hi folks,

I'm using 3.9kg Calor gas bottles in my camper and the current regulator has PTFE tape on the sealing part of the regulator after the threads. I've changed the gas bottles a couple of times using a spanner, but I was never keen doing that, plus there was no pressure gauge on it to visually see how much gas I had left in the bottle. The storage area for the gas bottle is very tight and a pain to get the bottle out to give it a shake to feel how much I had left, so I purchased a regulator with an operating hand wheel and pressure gauge. It turned out to be a rather flimsy Chinese thing that doesn't have the required threads to enable a seal against the bottle, so it is being sent back to Amazon for a refund. I've since refitted the old regulator.

The trouble I've got is I've changed the gas bottle and the PTFE tape has came off where it seals. There was a smell of gas in the camper and I'm not happy with applying more PTFE tape. Clearly this is why the tape was applied in the first place, so I'm after a good replacement regulator with a hand wheel to turn the gas on and off and also a pressure gauge. Has anyone got any recommendations on what to buy?

Thanks,

Arron.

OP
OP
rnb100
Mar 8, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E599
Exp
I've just reread my message......

The requirements are:

A pressure gauge.
A hand wheel to turn the gas on and off.
A hand wheel for changing bottles.

Thanks,

Arron.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
You shouldnt be using ptfe tape on regulator to gas bottle - it should seal itself without. Perhaps your old regulator sealing ring perished?
Gas gauge on bottles are pretty much useless as they don't change much in my opinion until 5 minutes before it runs out. (MOPEKA do a nice system that actually works - small sensor under bottle bounces a signal up through the liquid/gas like a sonar).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
A picture may help, for clarity.
I assume you refer to red bottles of propane (like Calor)?
The threads do not seal but press the dome into the valve to seal it. Some domes have a rubber ring incorporated to provide the seal but PTFE should not be necessary, even if t is all brass.
The hand wheel to turn the gas off/on should be on the cylinder (and will change every time you swap it).
GasLow can provide gauges and regulators with hand wheels for connection to the bottle.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
PTFE or thread tape is not required or indeed designed to be use anywhere on the gas system...as two says it is not threads that provide seal so if leaking check the sealing surfaces for damage.
Intrigued why you don't want to use spanner to tighten regulator to bottle.....maybe that is problem... you are not tightening the regulator tight enough to provide adequate sealing.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi folks,

I'm using 3.9kg Calor gas bottles in my camper and the current regulator has PTFE tape on the sealing part of the regulator after the threads. I've changed the gas bottles a couple of times using a spanner, but I was never keen doing that, plus there was no pressure gauge on it to visually see how much gas I had left in the bottle. The storage area for the gas bottle is very tight and a pain to get the bottle out to give it a shake to feel how much I had left, so I purchased a regulator with an operating hand wheel and pressure gauge. It turned out to be a rather flimsy Chinese thing that doesn't have the required threads to enable a seal against the bottle, so it is being sent back to Amazon for a refund. I've since refitted the old regulator.

The trouble I've got is I've changed the gas bottle and the PTFE tape has came off where it seals. There was a smell of gas in the camper and I'm not happy with applying more PTFE tape. Clearly this is why the tape was applied in the first place, so I'm after a good replacement regulator with a hand wheel to turn the gas on and off and also a pressure gauge. Has anyone got any recommendations on what to buy?

Thanks,

Arron.
Forget about the pressure gauge. You can't measure gas contents using pressure, as until the bottle has no liquid fuel remaining, the pressure is merely a function of the temperature of the bottle and is not affected by the level of contents. If the pressure drops, some liquid will evaporate and restore the pressure.

There should be no PTFE anywhere near the regulator. Personally, a regulator that needs this should be regarded as immediately dangerous and be discarded with no further use.

As you are no longer looking for a gauge, there are many hand wheel regulators that you could choose from.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
A hand wheel to turn the gas on and off.
A hand wheel for changing bottles.
Just spotted these two. Your choices are:

1. Bottle has the tap for turn on/off, regulator has handwheel for removing/fitting. (Calor Red Bottle)
2. Regulator has the tap for on/off, regulator removes by pressing a button. (Calor Green/Blue Bottle)

You don't get regulators where both the tap and the removal are done using rotating handwheels. If you think you do, please post a picture so we know what we are dealing with.

OP
OP
rnb100
Mar 8, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E599
Exp
Just spotted these two. Your choices are:

1. Bottle has the tap for turn on/off, regulator has handwheel for removing/fitting. (Calor Red Bottle)
2. Regulator has the tap for on/off, regulator removes by pressing a button. (Calor Green/Blue Bottle)

You don't get regulators where both the tap and the removal are done using rotating handwheels. If you think you do, please post a picture so we know what we are dealing with.
You're absolutely correct, the Calor gas on/ off hand wheel is independent and I was talking rubbish.

I would like the regulator to have a hand wheel for ease of replacement, as messing about with a spanner isn't something I would like to do after having a beer in the dark and rain. A quick changeover is what I'm thinking. The pressure gauge would be a nice to have, and not a must have.

The PTFE tape has came off the end of the nozzle (what I was referring to as the sealing face) and gas is definitely passing, as I was getting a waft of it in the cabin when I was down at the beach earlier. I did nip the connection up, but it was still passing gas, so I'm definitely on the market for a replacement. I'm not on a budget and when it comes to gas systems, I'd much prefer a quality replacement.

Apologies for my numptyness on the subject.

Thanks,

Arron.

IMG_0230.JPG

IMG_0229.JPG

IMG_0228.JPG

OP
OP
rnb100
Mar 8, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E599
Exp
You shouldnt be using ptfe tape on regulator to gas bottle - it should seal itself without. Perhaps your old regulator sealing ring perished?
Gas gauge on bottles are pretty much useless as they don't change much in my opinion until 5 minutes before it runs out. (MOPEKA do a nice system that actually works - small sensor under bottle bounces a signal up through the liquid/gas like a sonar).
Thanks, I'll have a look at the MOPEKA system.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Your regulator and hose could do with replacement. I think it would be better to get a 'bulkhead' regulator rather than the old 'on-bottle' sort. 'Bulkhead' regulators are fixed within the gas locker and the hose is then easier to attach to the bottle. Get a 'proper' gas spanner (brass) and life would be much easier, especially with a new 'pig-tail' connector. A hand wheel may not be necessary. Some gas detector foam (spray) would help confirm that you've not got any leak (it should not need to be very tight - remember that it will need to be undone at some time).

Mar 21, 2021
Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Campervan
You're absolutely correct, the Calor gas on/ off hand wheel is independent and I was talking rubbish.

I would like the regulator to have a hand wheel for ease of replacement, as messing about with a spanner isn't something I would like to do after having a beer in the dark and rain. A quick changeover is what I'm thinking. The pressure gauge would be a nice to have, and not a must have.

The PTFE tape has came off the end of the nozzle (what I was referring to as the sealing face) and gas is definitely passing, as I was getting a waft of it in the cabin when I was down at the beach earlier. I did nip the connection up, but it was still passing gas, so I'm definitely on the market for a replacement. I'm not on a budget and when it comes to gas systems, I'd much prefer a quality replacement.

Thanks,

Arron.

View attachment 479059

Thanks,

Arron.

View attachment 479059
View attachment 479060

View attachment 479061
I can’t believe you fitted that grotty old regulator, you are lucky you still had a moho when you got back from the beach !

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Looking at your regulator I think you need to clean the sealing dome surface... bit of fine wire wool maybe... gas bottle looks fine once you remove remnants of PTFE. Both surfaces should be shiny polished brass with no indentations or grooves.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Your regulator and hose could do with replacement. I think it would be better to get a 'bulkhead' regulator rather than the old 'on-bottle' sort. 'Bulkhead' regulators are fixed within the gas locker and the hose is then easier to attach to the bottle. Get a 'proper' gas spanner (brass) and life would be much easier, especially with a new 'pig-tail' connector. A hand wheel may not be necessary. Some gas detector foam (spray) would help confirm that you've not got any leak (it should not need to be very tight - remember that it will need to be undone at some time).
Agreed... BUT even with a pigtail he needs to ensure that it is clean and fitted to bottle correctly. IMO you cannot beat connectors with spanner fittings and not hand wheels.
Also needs a proper spanner and not molegrip type spanner which has obviously been used in the past..

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Unless you are very confident, get a Gas Safe registered engineer to sort it out for you. Not worth saving a couple of quid if it leaks. Does your has cabinet have a drop hole? When I bought a converted Bongo the gas cabinet was not fire retardant and didn't have a drop hole, dangerous and sadly not unusual.

OP
OP
rnb100
Mar 8, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E599
Exp
I think the best course of action is to replace the regulator and hose and perhaps get the bulkhead type as advised. One of my mates is a Gas Safe plumber and he also owns a caravan, so he might be the man for the job.

There is no drop hole for the gas to escape and that is something that I noticed when I bought the van.

I really don't like messing with electrical or gas stuff, so I don't mind paying for someone who knows what they're doing to take care of it. That way, I'm not worrying about it.

Thanks for everyones advice. Much obliged to you all who contributed.

Arron.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back