Gas Regulator is Passing gas...! (1 Viewer)

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
My Trauma gas regulator has a small yellow plug on the side, which has a tiny hole in it. Gas is escaping from there as soon as a bottle is turned on. The regulator seems fine otherwise (in that is is relatively new 2019 AT Delaware and has no reust etc).

Not sure what that plug/hole is for and have surmised the regulator is blocked and therefore this is a pressure release? This is the regulator - any ideas before I go and buy a new one?

IMG_20210412_105340_8.jpgIMG_20210412_105357_9.jpg

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Huh! SWMBO just glanced over my shoulder read this threads heading and looking at me said "I've got one of them" then flounced off. :whistle2:

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Without seeing it I can't be totally sure, but there is a breather in the regulator and air will come out of that when you see open the bottle, it should stop straight away, if it keeps going and is gas not air then the diaphragm has failed
Any hias leaking is dangerous so get a new regulator unless you are sure it's good. It's not worth the risk

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Without seeing it I can't be totally sure, but there is a breather in the regulator and air will come out of that when you see open the bottle, it should stop straight away, if it keeps going and is gas not air then the diaphragm has failed
Any hias leaking is dangerous so get a new regulator unless you are sure it's good. It's not worth the risk
Thanks for that. The gas was escaping not air.

I have been hawking round the Caravan & Motorhome Accessories shops locally for the last 2 hours and each one has said they have never seen a regulator like this one? They have the standard units which are around 2 inches shorter than this one, but since the copper van pipe is fixed length and this is fitted to the bulkhead, the standard one would not fit directly.
IMG_20210412_105340_8.jpg

I have TVE checking their records to see what the part is and if they have one on hand - not hopeful!

Plan 'B' is to fit a standard length using and move the bulkhead fitting down 2 inches (4 screws into the gas box) but of course that lowers the regulator relative to the gas bottle outlet, my concern would be residue running down into the regulator?

Any thoughts?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It's a pressure relief valve, if gas is coming out of it you probably have a blocked regulator.
Every regulator we have had has had them even bottle top regulators. Standard fit on regulators for the German market.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
It's a pressure relief valve, if gas is coming out of it you probably have a blocked regulator.
Every regulator we have had has had them even bottle top regulators. Standard fit on regulators for the German market.
Yes, checking on like there seems to be a lot of discussion regarding the diaphragm rupturing. One suggested the only way for gas to exit that overpressure yellow plug is for the diaphragm to be torn or holed. Seems like a safety issue to me, regardless gas should never be able to escape the regulator, even if it fails, but that appears to be the situation!

Still hunting for a replacement. Thinking a Calor reg would be a better bet with a 5 year guarantee.

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
This may be it.
Looks to be in stock.
Yes it is Sheddy - just be informed from TVE that this is now obsolete (on 2019 van), Oleary have one in the correct size but £128 delivered next week sometime - that's painful. Turns out that extra bit is the Crash Sensor that cuts off the gas in a collision.

They have offered to fit the new Truam BlackBox version when I go in for warranty work (end June) if I want LOL.

Going away tomorrow :)mad: :cool: ).

I have a spare bottle top regulator (Calor) and some flexy gas pipe ala BBQ, but not sure if its wise wise to fit even temporarily?

Still thinking about fitting a standard one and moving it down the bulkhead 2 inches.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I would use the bottle top reg hose and jubilee onto the copper pipe
Only difference is you can't use it whist driving as no anti rupture valves

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Thanks for that. The gas was escaping not air.

I have been hawking round the Caravan & Motorhome Accessories shops locally for the last 2 hours and each one has said they have never seen a regulator like this one? They have the standard units which are around 2 inches shorter than this one, but since the copper van pipe is fixed length and this is fitted to the bulkhead, the standard one would not fit directly.
View attachment 484135

I have TVE checking their records to see what the part is and if they have one on hand - not hopeful!

Plan 'B' is to fit a standard length using and move the bulkhead fitting down 2 inches (4 screws into the gas box) but of course that lowers the regulator relative to the gas bottle outlet, my concern would be residue running down into the regulator?

Any thoughts?
The regulator must be above the cylinder, looking at your regulator it looks as if it has a filter under it which may be part of it. Have you tried caravan/ motorhome service engineers?

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
The regulator must be above the cylinder, looking at your regulator it looks as if it has a filter under it which may be part of it. Have you tried caravan/ motorhome service engineers?
The part at the bottom turns out to be the collision sensor, which is why the obsolete replacement is to be found in only one place and is £130.

I don’t use gas when travelling anyway, but I do like the convenience of leaving the gas turned on, but temporarily I will just have to get out of the cab and switch it on manually (god forbid) or teach the other half to do it, it’s on her side of the van anyway:love:!

I’ll sleep on it tonight and decide tomorrow:

1. Fit standard Reg and drop it down the bulkhead 2”
2. Fit a bottle to Reg and gas flex hose to the van copper pipe
3. Just run EHU for the three days away and shell our £130 ready for the next trip in two weeks time.

Oh the joy...

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I had a regulator on the gas bottle for years, it had a quick release fitting so I could swap from my calor to my campingaz spare bottle.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Any 30mb 1.5kg/h bulkhead regulator will do the job. It doesn't have to be a perfect match.
Not many with a crash sensor if you want to leave the gas on while traveling, in fact I think only the Turma. At least his one is cheap the one on my van is £200.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
I had a regulator on the gas bottle for years, it had a quick release fitting so I could swap from my calor to my campingaz spare bottle.
I think you have to have a bulkhead regulator if your van is younger than a certain age?

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I think you have to have a bulkhead regulator if your van is younger than a certain age?
My van had a bulkhead regulator I took it off while I had the van and put it back when I sold it. I always run with the gas off so it was not a problem, apart from forgetting to put the gas on for the freezer when we parked up for a walk occasionally. :smiley: :smiley:

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
My van had a bulkhead regulator I took it off while I had the van and put it back when I sold it. I always run with the gas off so it was not a problem, apart from forgetting to put the gas on for the freezer when we parked up for a walk occasionally. :smiley: :smiley:
Does that not invalidate your insurance?

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Does that not invalidate your insurance?
I don't see why, it is safe as long as it is off while traveling, the bulkhead regulator is less likely to get damaged than a cylinder top one, but apart from that it does the same thing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back