Gas regulator buzzing and vibrating? (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Using the water heater today and heard a buzzing noise from the front right of the dashboard, also a faint vibration. Traced it to the gas bottle regulator, an original Hymer fitted unit.
The gas bottle was nearly out and the vibration from the reg was setting up a vibration in the bottle, a bit like it were a large bell.

Thought it may be an air leak and by tightening the bottle connection a little it stopped only to start up again a few seconds later. Tapped the regulator and it stopped for about 20 seconds and started again.

I thought maybe a perished diaphragm but just guessing now, anyone heard of this?

In preparation for a week at Le Mans next week I'll get a new reg later this week, but would like to know what caused it.

Thanks

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you understood how they worked you would be surprised they don't do it more often. It was probably due to the reduced pressure in the bottle & is certainly nothing to worry about. Carrying a spare one (and a spare water pump) is a good idea anytime.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If you are still using the original regulator veevee (I guess it's a Truma Triomatic system like the one shown in the picture of my original installation below) then you are on borrowed time. I would definitely carry a spare or get it changed anyway. The Triomatic is no longer available so your options are to fit a new Truma 'Duocontrol' regulator or to switch to a different make. Having heard many stories of Truma regulator failure, I chose the Gaslow regulator that is guaranteed for five years, provided you also change the hoses to Gaslow stainless steel ones. The regulator is made by Clesse and has a good reputation. http://www.gaslowdirect.com/epages/...rhdmmu67/Products/01-1770/SubProducts/01-1770

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• Gas close-up RH.jpg
    Gas close-up RH.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Thanks Tony, and thanks again Philip.

I think Philip you have hit the nail on the head, it's an age thing again as it has had no use from new. It doesn't have an automated system fitted, it's a manual changeover system (which I'm quite happy with as it makes the point more forcibly that we are at half capacity - or totally empty). Although many of the Truma auto system parts are fitted the hose system and regulators are not there, just a single GOK German regulator with a single hose, it has the red paint mark across the joint fitting to show it hasn't been removed since new.

Tried to buy a regulator in the UK last week to suit French gas bottles but not available, so will pop down to Carrefour this week as they keep a range of regulators for their gas bottle sales.

My curiosity is the reason for asking the question really, was it the diaphragm that vibrates or something else? Buying a replacement reg was a given but it's good to be backed up by other opinions.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back