Gas - Refillable or Not, Which Would You Choose Today? (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I'm about to build a new van. At the moment I have a 38 ltr GasIt underslung tank, which I was planning on re-fitting to next van.

The thing is, I keep reading stories about how it's getting harder to fill LPG tanks in a motorhome?

I often see posts where "another" LPG filling point has gone, or motorhomes aren't allowed to use them in some cases. I don't see new points mentioned very often?

So I'm wondering - If you were starting with a new van today, would you prefer a refillable tank, or normal bottles?

Has anyone here removed refillable tanks and gone back to standard bottles?

I will be fitting a diesel heater this time around. Gas will be used to power my instant water heater (iMass) and cook.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We haven’t had a problem. We had a refillable gaslow system fitted. Changing cylinders wasn’t an option for us, so fitted it had to be. Have found it wonderful, both here and in Europe. Attendants hav3 been happy to come and help me too.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We've not had a problem either. If you're worried it might be a problem how about fitting the underslung tank and then an exchange bottle inside somewhere?

Denise

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If space was at a real premium I'd probably go for a underslung tank but if not I'd stick with refillable bottles as tanks aren't cheap to buy and install and you are limited on the size you can have. However as we now have an all electric fridge I don't really need 2 refillables as one lasts ages, so in theory could ditch one but can't see the point as it just means we don't have to worry about topping up especially with the stupid inaccurate gauges!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As you're gonna be living in your camper I'd still fit the underslung tank as you'll be horrified at the price of exchange cylinders and of course this will eat into your usable 'indoor' storage.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
The thing is, I keep reading stories about how it's getting harder to fill LPG tanks in a motorhome?
I often see posts where "another" LPG filling point has gone, or motorhomes aren't allowed to use them in some cases. I don't see new points mentioned very often?

We've never had a problem finding somewhere to fill and have never been refused anywhere!

Pete

Korgrocker

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285 - 2018
Exp
Since 2013
There's no commercial sense in buying and fitting a refillable tank unless you intend going abroad, where gas availability in exchangeable bottles can be a problem. I've also read a few threads on this forum about possible problems introduced by additives in auto gas, but no experience of this myself. But you've already got a refillable tank so best to fit it?
I have 2 6Kg Calor propane bottles with a Truma Duo Control regulator. Over the past 5 years I've used no more than 3 6Kg propane bottles each year but we mostly use electric hook ups. Morrisons currently selling refills at £22 each.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can't see filling being a problem for years yet, it's not as if you need to fill every day, there will always be one within a mile or two, even if you have to go to special gas places, much the same as having to fetch a calor bottle.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Refillables/ tanks or Gaslow etc., every time.

Malcolm

Korgrocker

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285 - 2018
Exp
Since 2013
Can't see filling being a problem for years yet, it's not as if you need to fill every day, there will always be one within a mile or two, even if you have to go to special gas places, much the same as having to fetch a calor bottle.
It's ok for you guys living in civilisation - up here in rural Scotland I would have to drive to Edinburgh to find an autogas pump. Easier to find a Calor gas bottle retailer (3 within 5 miles).

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It's ok for you guys living in civilisation - up here in rural Scotland I would have to drive to Edinburgh to find an autogas pump. Easier to find a Calor gas bottle retailer (3 within 5 miles).
Yes but you are not going to be at home when out in the van, and one fill lasts us at least a month.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We've never had problems filling either. I think bad news travels fast. Also I've noticed the fill LPG app updates don't show a net closure, with some opening and some closing. (y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Yes but you are not going to be at home when out in the van, and one fill lasts us at least a month.
But as you are on hook up most of the time it won't be worth it if someone wild camps a lot or lives in it on a basic pitch refillables get a lot more cost effectve. As an example we recon to use 50p worth of gas when not on hook up a day on a refillable so if the non elec pitches are £1 less or more we go for those the difference would be a lot more on 6kg calor

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
All depends what peoples usage is use a lot refillable system has to be cost effective but small usage then exchange is probably better - in spain i believe cost of exchange bottles is very cheap compared to uk but you still need a bottle to start with

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
But as you are on hook up most of the time it won't be worth it if someone wild camps a lot or lives in it on a basic pitch refillables get a lot more cost effectve. As an example we recon to use 50p worth of gas when not on hook up a day on a refillable so if the non elec pitches are £1 less or more we go for those the difference would be a lot more on 6kg calor
Don't know if you ment to quote me or not but if so don't know where you get the idea we are on hookup, as we never are unless it happens to be thrown in where we are parked.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Don't know if you ment to quote me or not but if so don't know where you get the idea we are on hookup, as we never are unless it happens to be thrown in where we are parked.
Sorry mean't to quote Korgrocker must have clicked on the wrong post!! Sounds like you are more like us

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back