Gas Refill Problem In Portugal... (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
A chain reaction leading to mental stress but ending in triumph.

I am getting older... especially mentally... things that have no right to stress me sometimes do... if I let them.

The Story. (Warning... it might be rather long and boring for you.)

I go to refill with gas at my "local" station, just as I have many, many times before.

I pull up only to find that the nozzle has been changed to the Euro/Spanish one.

Bugger.

I see my mate in the shop and have a good moan about change at my age. He laughes and hands over the "new" adapter. I fill with gas but not as smoothly as usual for some reason. New nozzle not as good as the old one IMO.

I hand the adapter back and ask to buy one. He does not have any but they should have some next week. (Yeah right.)

Here I am not sure exactly what happened... whether I knocked the change over thingy or I opened both taps by mistake I don't know. What I do know is that, a few weeks later, I ran out of gas! I went to change to the second bottle but it was empty too. (I NEVER run out of gas.)

Panic... No Coffee For Brekky.

Straight off to the "local" station (17 kms) to fill up. A different lad is in the shop (Sunday). He hands over the bag wth a selection of adapters... the one for UK system is not there. He looks for it and then remembers... a Brit used it but did not return it... grrrrrrrrrr.

I tried a couple more stations... no Brit adapter... so headed back home...

What am I going to do? No gas until I can locate a filling adapter... stress starts... I have a fridge full of stuff... I can get out my Engel compressor fridge as back up... I can cook stuff in my electric oven (using genny)... but where can I get an adapter?...

Light Bulb Moment.

Then it hits me... I have a full 6kgs Gaslow bottle in the old Iveco.

When I get back, it is getting near to kick off time.

I disconnect one of the Hymer bottles TO try the spare one and... DISASTER. The rubber washer AND the "O" ring get/are rather mangled. I do my best to straighten them out... connect up the spare and gas hisses out like an angry snake.

I give up and watch the match (what wonderful, magical winning goal)... then I treat myself to a HUGE roast beef meal with potatoes and onions. Then I watch a film (Revenge... total rubbish)... then I go to bed.

Mind Starts Malfunctioning.

No sleep... keep waking up "where will I get "O" rings and gas washers from? Where will I get an adapter from? Who can I ask? I will have to drive to Coimbra... I might not be able park near shop..."

I toss and turn in bed... over and over again.

As dawn starts breaking my mind begins to work a tad better... I recalled buying some gas bottle washers and "O" rings a couple of years ago from the super duper hardware shop in Silves... where did I put them?

Every Cloud Has A Silver Lining.

This a a sign to tidy up some of my stuff while I look for them... I seem to remember a small brown paper bag...

BINGO.

20180514_123503.jpg

Will they fit? You bet your last shilling they will...

Temporarily connect spare bottle...no leaks... kettle on... first coffee for over 24 hours.

20180514_123841.jpg

Whilst sipping the coffee, I order an adapter from Amazon. £17 for the item and £58 for express delivery. Outrageous delivery price unless you consider how much diesel and stress and time it would take me to locate and buy one here... of course, when I go back to my local station, they might have a supply in by then... but who cares?

Why, oh why, did I allow myself to get into such stressful panic? At my age I should know better.

Today's crisis is tomorrow's "All Sorted, Aren't I Clever" post on Fun.

If you made it all the way through the post... thank you.

JJ :cool:

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Thank you for your story. The only disagreement I have with you is regarding the Spanish adaptor, which to my mind is the best of all three. It is the only one with its own valve, which means there is no explosion of gas when released. Gaslow explained to me some time ago that its popularity was only limited by the price of manufacture, which is greater than the other more simple fittings.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Although I do sympathise with your recent dilemma JJ,it does pale into insignificance compared with the problem I have had during the last week. During my recent stay in Munich I have been unable to watch Cora as for some strange reason (perhaps a tree branch) I had no signal on my Oyster. Am now sitting outside the Hymer museum at Bad Waldsey and am pleased to say it works fine here. So Cora tonight it is :).

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
If that is true then it is very good news...

The non return valve must be fitted in the pump nozzle itself then... definitely not in the adapter!

It is the first point of contact with the nozzle, leaving almost no space for the liquid gas to expand from. I personally hate that explosion of gas on release of the nozzle, guess I am a wimp.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009

I am getting older... especially mentally... things that have no right to stress me sometimes do... if I let them.

I go to refill with gas at my "local" station, just as I have many, many times before.

I pull up only to find that the nozzle has been changed to the Euro/Spanish one.

Bugger.

I see my mate in the shop and have a good moan about change at my age. He laughes and hands over the "new" adapter. I fill with gas but not as smoothly as usual for some reason. New nozzle not as good as the old one IMO.

I hand the adapter back and ask to buy one. He does not have any but they should have some next week. (Yeah right.)

Here I am not sure exactly what happened... whether I knocked the change over thingy or I opened both taps by mistake I don't know. What I do know is that, a few weeks later, I ran out of gas! I went to change to the second bottle but it was empty too. (I NEVER run out of gas.)

Straight off to the "local" station (17 kms) to fill up. A different lad is in the shop (Sunday). He hands over the bag wth a selection of adapters... the one for UK system is not there. He looks for it and then remembers... a Brit used it but did not return it... grrrrrrrrrr.

What am I going to do? No gas until I can locate a filling adapter... stress starts... I have a fridge full of stuff... I can get out my Engel compressor fridge as back up... I can cook stuff in my electric oven (using genny)... but where can I get an adapter?...

Light Bulb Moment.

I disconnect one of the Hymer bottles TO try the spare one and... DISASTER. The rubber washer AND the "O" ring get/are rather mangled. I do my best to straighten them out... connect up the spare and gas hisses out like an angry snake.

I give up and watch the match (what wonderful, magical winning goal)... then I treat myself to a HUGE roast beef meal with potatoes and onions. Then I watch a film (Revenge... total rubbish)... then I go to bed.

No sleep... keep waking up "where will I get "O" rings and gas washers from? Where will I get an adapter from? Who can I ask? I will have to drive to Coimbra... I might not be able park near shop..."

As dawn starts breaking my mind begins to work a tad better... I recalled buying some gas bottle washers and "O" rings a couple of years ago from the super duper hardware shop in Silves... where did I put them?

This a a sign to tidy up some of my stuff while I look for them... I seem to remember a small brown paper bag...

BINGO.

View attachment 231324

Temporarily connect spare bottle...no leaks... kettle on... first coffee for over 24 hours.

View attachment 231325

Whilst sipping the coffee, I order an adapter from Amazon. £17 for the item and £58 for express delivery. Outrageous delivery price unless you consider how much diesel and stress and time it would take me to locate and buy one here... of course, when I go back to my local station, they might have a supply in by then... but who cares?

Why, oh why, did I allow myself to get into such stressful panic? At my age I should know better.

And the moral of the story is never throw any useful bits and bobs away!! A la Mr JJ!!:LOL:

Reactions: JJ
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
It is the first point of contact with the nozzle, leaving almost no space for the liquid gas to expand from. I personally hate that explosion of gas on release of the nozzle, guess I am a wimp.

But then there must be gas trapped in the adaptor which would be released when you unscrew it.
I have one of these adaptors though have never had to use it.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
But then there must be gas trapped in the adaptor which would be released when you unscrew it.
I have one of these adaptors though have never had to use it.

You are correct, I wear rubber gloves when I fill and the Spanish connector is cold and when you unscrew it it pours out..! I do it very slowly.....:cool:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Try it with a 10” diameter flexible supposedly drained down from carrying refrigerated propane at -43°C and finding it isn’t.......:Eeek:

The joys of working on liquid gas ships....

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Jesus,JJ I just got stressed reading it

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
And the moral of the story is never throw any useful bits and bobs away!! A la Mr JJ!!:LOL:

I must say I'm the same ! I've got all sorts of things in boxes which I keep ...in case of .... whatever!Been always pleased to find the little thing no one was expecting me to have :LOL:

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
I found that a washer from a washing machine pipe will be OK as a temporary measure and easier to find.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm stressed now ... you paid £58 for delivery!!!! :eek:

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.

Bugger.

Light Bulb Moment.

BINGO.

View attachment 231324

View attachment 231325

Yep - a bit long for sure - i’ve got bored and given up after the first refill :)

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The Spanish refill gas adapter arrived today...

Just like Amazon said it would.

20180517_210934.jpg

Replaced the emergency 6kg bottle with the empty 11kg one... tightened all connectors...
went off to the station and filled with GPL.

40 litres.

Well happy. Cost a fair bit, but it is now sorted. What price convenience and peace of mind.

Reactions: Les

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back