Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi folks, thinking about when we go to europe, if we take two 6 kg bottles of gas and mainly have EHU and only use gas for cooking how long would they last, approximately of course, thanks Kevin

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
use flogas much cheaper than calor.
but if heading abroad very often local bottles are cheaper than autogas.

Upvote 0

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
In Morocco 6th Jan 2015 to 11th March 2015, 65 days took 3 Full 11 kg bottles used two and a quarter bottle of propane.

Cooked outside on a seperate bottle about 50% of the time! had the heating on for about 4 hours in total, and had hook up for about 8 days.

I wouldn't fret to much, if you run out of gas you'll just have to spend more time in the pub! As mentioned above there are numerous fixes such as spare hoses to connect French and other bottles. If you check out the Morocco 2015 thread most of the fixes are there. I bought a flexible gaslow hose for a tenner of fleebay which will connect French, Moroccan and other bottles to the terminal on your van quite easily

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I use Intermarche 10kg at approx 19 euros to exchange. Deposit of 1 euro !! The thread is 21.8 lh which is exactly the same as a 4.5kg Calor butane so never a problem in France.
I had usage worries my 1st time, not so much how long they would last but what to do if I ran out.
Did research and went over next time with 1 Calor bottle. Fingers crossed, bought French bottle and joy oh joy.
Never used sites with EHU last year in 9 weeks and the wonderful solar panel provided my electric.
No cares, just got on with my retirement,
Enjoy your trip.

Upvote 0

phodetheus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
Last year before we left for Europe we decided to get our bottles replaced with LPG rather than take the chance of running out. It cost us £455 to do and seeing as LPG is much cheaper I worked out it would pay for itself in just 15 fill ups. Also found it more convenient to be able to just top it up as and when rather than waiting for a bottle to empty then start trying to find a replacement.

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Last year before we left for Europe we decided to get our bottles replaced with LPG rather than take the chance of running out. It cost us £455 to do and seeing as LPG is much cheaper I worked out it would pay for itself in just 15 fill ups. Also found it more convenient to be able to just top it up as and when rather than waiting for a bottle to empty then start trying to find a replacement.

We replaced outs for the same reason. Cost approx £275 with second hand bottles and my labour.

Upvote 0

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
you can buy the pigtail with the 21.8 left hand thread connector on it at places like mariner gas etc which is exactly the same as a 4.5kg Calor butane it is also the same connection as used on the Moroccan 12 kg bottles and in France.

Also , you could exchange one of your 6 kg for a 13 kg bottle and put it in your locker along with the 6 kg ?

As for gas use , we used 30 kg on the Morocco trip this time from Dec to April around 120 days with no EHU .
( We do use a lot of solar power though .)

Have a great trip .:coolest:

Upvote 0

Starburst2

Free Member
Jun 5, 2013
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1994
We have spent 6 weeks in Spain in winter on sites with electric, only used gas for heating and hot water when on aires on way ther and back, did cooking most days, used one 6kg bottle of gas plus about 25% of second.
Doug

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kevingrc

Kevingrc

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have spent 6 weeks in Spain in winter on sites with electric, only used gas for heating and hot water when on aires on way ther and back, did cooking most days, used one 6kg bottle of gas plus about 25% of second.
Doug
Thanks for that Doug.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Hi Vin do the butane le cube fit without adapters, just want an idea for if we run out, cheers Kevin
Hi Kev, I've adapted my pipework so that I can connect and disconnect to accept UK butane or UK propane or French butane and camping gaz if absolutely desparate:sick:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back