Hezza

Free Member
Feb 27, 2016
EXETER
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We bought our first motorhome almost a year ago..loving it. When we bought it from the dealer, on the handover they were surprised to find it had been converted to use refillable lpg tanks..which were full. One tank is now empty and the other has been used quite abit..however the dial in the cupboard has not moved, and can someone please help me to understand how to refill them? I have read garage forecourts dont like you doing it? We have an external filling point..but I have no idea where or how to do it. (feel very silly)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Here are some instructions I downloaded from somewhere.
It`s very simple really, where I go there is an attendant so he does it for me and charges about 47 pence a litre
I think there is a web site with retailers but I don`t have a link for that, I`m sure others will be along to paste the link

Attachments

• Gaslow Filling-Instructions-2012.pdf
    359.7 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Not a daft question and dont feel silly. I wouldn't know either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Explain you don't know how to use the pump to the attendant and they should show you how.
They would rather help you than risk you getting it wrong.
If they won't help, they may be on their own and can't leave the till, drive away and find somewhere else rather than try, and get it wrong.

Upvote 0

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
For UK I use fillLPG app on android for locations and prices, it updates prices automatically every day, which vary between 47p and 72p a litre.

I look for cheapest and top up about once a year as we have a 90litre underslung tank.

Hymie

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The first time I filled I didn't hold the 'fill button' on the pump for long enough.. attendant came out to help...

it can take up to a minute or more for gas to start filling..

This is the UK Bayonet filling gun.. note the guy is holding the black button continually during filling..

you need different adapters for abroad..

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There are two types of gun. Usage explained below.

alugas2.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hezza

Hezza

Free Member
Feb 27, 2016
EXETER
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks for all the helpful messages, the dial can be seen as attached..but never moves? Faulty or normal?

Attachments

• DSC_1051.JPG
    DSC_1051.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 38
Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
normal....they read full till below half a tank then drop rapidly

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hezza

Hezza

Free Member
Feb 27, 2016
EXETER
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
ok, that's really helpful..I couldn't understand why it hadn't shown any decease although one tank was empty and the second had been started. So its just the last half tank that will show a drop?

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
yes, a really unhelpful guage. refilling is simple once you know how though. you learn to top up regularly when getting fuel. not all forecourts have lpg so when you see it, top up

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hezza

Hezza

Free Member
Feb 27, 2016
EXETER
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes..Im sure when we've done it once we'll be fine..as long as we survive that!!:madder: ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
just ask the attendant its not a silly question, its his or her job to help you, i have the same system do it a couple of times and your ok, if going abroad you need adaptors they are easy to get

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Once you've used the van for a few trips you'll get an idea of how much gas you're using and when to refill - a lot of course depends on the capacity of your system - we've only got 2 x 6kg bottles so have to keep an eye on it. We've got a garage supplying LPG close to our storage yard so no problem - a refill usually lasts us 3/4 weeks, longer in summer.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks for all the helpful messages, the dial can be seen as attached..but never moves? Faulty or normal?

It's only a pressure gauge.. as already said will show full until almost empty ..

The Gaslow bottles have a contents gauge that works on a float ... monitoring the last 50% of the bottle contents.. I've found it quite useful.. and accurate

On the Gaslow R67 bottles, there is also an option for a remote panel mounting gauge with LED display

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
That looks like Gaslow Manual Change-over gauge. The 'manual' bit is that you open the supply valve on the top of just one tank (the one that you intend to be 'in-service'). The gauge will then show when that tank is getting empty. Once it moves from green to yellow, the supply drops pretty quickly. Once the first tank is empty, you close the supply valve on its top and open the valve on the other tank. Assuming the second tank is full, the gauge will pop back into the green. If by chance you have been working with both valves open, the gauge will be confused and I presume will show green until the second tank is almost empty.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hezza

Hezza

Free Member
Feb 27, 2016
EXETER
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
done it...all full ready for the next trip...and we survived! It's a doddle really...no worries for next time:LOL: Thanks to all who responded:roflmto:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back