Gas queries- Hymer B544- 2014 (1 Viewer)

Fifiwi

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Hi all
Our first technical question, please?
OK, we have the MH...absolutely love it...just waiting for the V5 from DVLA. While it sits on the driveway, we are thinking about the necessities.....
We are intending fitting a refillable gas system to the van- thinking of Gaslow/Gasit..with an external filler fitted in the skirt.
Our question is about fitting the filler hose from the filler point to the gas bottle.

Do we need to fix the hose to the inner wall of the gas locker, while routing it to the top of the tank? Is it acceptable to feed the filler hose from the filler point on the skirt, just through the bottom of the gas locker, which is where the vent is, i.e. rather than drill a hole to pass the hose through, into the locker.
Any thoughts/ hints experience very much appreciated.

Thanks

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have a B584 with Gaslow installed by PO. The filler is situated just in front of the RHS of the gas locker (between the gas locker door frame and the wheelarch. That doesn't mean that I would have chosen that position - just that it works OK. If I was to do it I would fit the filler on the N/S of the van close to the Diesel filler cap if only so I don't have to re-position the vehicle when filling both Diesel & LPG tanks.

Your suggestion about feeding it through the bottom of the gas locker would work well - it is both safe and accessible. You wouldn't need to secure it in the gas locker (although you might prefer to if it makes for a neater installation). Just guard / grommet it where it passes through the GRP base of the locker. An LPG place should be able to sell you an appropriate feed-through guard. Bear in mind that a very low (skirt) fill point means that you'll be wrestling with the stupid, over-weight, and awkward, UK filler nozzle whilst bent double. I'd have no problem with going through the bodywork if that resulted in a better position for the filler.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi all
Our first technical question, please?

Do we need to fix the hose to the inner wall of the gas locker, while routing it to the top of the tank? Is it acceptable to feed the filler hose from the filler point on the skirt, just through the bottom of the gas locker, which is where the vent is, i.e. rather than drill a hole to pass the hose through, into the locker.
Any thoughts/ hints experience very much appreciated.

Thanks

Thats exactly how mines fitted.
You might want to consider Alugas a fraction of the weight of the others.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I fitted twin Gasit 11kg system to our 2014 Exsis and routed hoses through the gas drop out vent at front end of the locker also I was able to use existing auto switchover valve that was factory fitted and has the controls and lights over the habitation door it works a treat and tells you when you are using the second cylinder which makes life easier and its on the same side as fuel filler.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Fifiwi

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Thanks for your helpful replies. To be honest, this is becoming quite a headache. There seems to be contradictory information elsewhere.
We seem to have 4 alternatives.
1. Very small filler in the skirt, a few inches from gas locker. Although this is low down, it will still be about 19 inches from the ground, so it should work OK.
2. Gas filler fitted inside the locker, but this seems to cause problems, in France and Portugal, judging by from posts we've read elsewhere. Not sure whether these are just perceived problems. Opening the door locker could be an issue..the locker door needs a fair amount of clearance.
3. Mount filler point in the door, as shown in Gaslow instruction leaflet. Believe it or not, the thought of "defacing" the MH by cutting a hole in it doesn't appeal. (precious? me? maybe? )
4. Use Calor Gas, pay through the nose for refills, where available.

Arghhhh...if we had received the V5 from DVLA by now, we'd have bought UK reg. plates, and be out practising driving the MH, not sitting here fretting about this.

Help....please.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I am waiting to see how I get on with my twin 6.5 kg calor lights but having had RVs in the past am seriously considering an underslung bulk tank with external filler on my B544 to free up the gas locker for general use.

Upvote 0

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
If you click on my avatar and expand it a little you will see that I fitted my filler point in the alloy panel next to the gas cupboard. As it does flex a little I fixed a stiffening pice of alloy angle to the back of the panel (Sikaflexed so it doesn't have bolt heads showing), and took another piece back to the body forming a triangle and it's totally rigid.

It's easy to route the supply pipe to the bottles and easy to fill when required.

Mike

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I'm in the process of doing exactly what you are considering in my 2014 B544. I went through all the pro's and con's of Gas it, Alugas and Gaslow, where to fit the filler and what type. I read all the opinions on here and eventually went for a Gaslow 11kg fitted in the left side of the locker, connected to the the regulator with Gaslow stainless pigtail. These were obtained from my local caravan accessories dealer (Waudby's) who price matched Hamilton's very good prices (£174.89)
The filler side is going to be a 1mtr rubber straight/angled filler pipe with the small flush filler (the same as Gasit) These were obtained, online, from The LPG Shop in Leicester with all the adapters needed for Europe for £56.96 inc delivery and they arrived about an hour ago by UPS overnight.
I need to buy a decent 28mm hole cutter yet, as I don't fancy attempting it with something cheap.
I will be putting the filler in the skirt too, to the left. It has ribs on the rear of the skirt and I've seen others fit between the ribs, though I'm going to see if I can fit it as high as possible in the skirt and this will mean cutting through the ribs. I'll have to check if this is possible next time I go (mine is in storage).
I measured for the filler pipe after putting the bottle in so I'll also find out if 1mtr is right.
I settled on Gaslow because of them having an internal filter, though I nearly went for Alugas because of the weight saving, though it's only 5kg and what's that really.
Tim

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I fitted mine in the skirt and notched the plastic back cover around the ribs worked well and easy to do.I also fitted a clip down cover over the filler to keep some of the road muck out.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have 2 x 13kg Alugas bottles with the small square filler in the centre of the skirt. Not a problem to fit in the centre of the skirt just need to drill a pilot hole from the rear in between the ribs.
Wouldn't want to fit a filler in the bodywork and in the locker door is dangerous.

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for your helpful replies. To be honest, this is becoming quite a headache. There seems to be contradictory information elsewhere.
We seem to have 4 alternatives.
1. Very small filler in the skirt, a few inches from gas locker. Although this is low down, it will still be about 19 inches from the ground, so it should work OK.
2. Gas filler fitted inside the locker, but this seems to cause problems, in France and Portugal, judging by from posts we've read elsewhere. Not sure whether these are just perceived problems. Opening the door locker could be an issue..the locker door needs a fair amount of clearance.
3. Mount filler point in the door, as shown in Gaslow instruction leaflet. Believe it or not, the thought of "defacing" the MH by cutting a hole in it doesn't appeal. (precious? me? maybe? )
4. Use Calor Gas, pay through the nose for refills, where available.

Arghhhh...if we had received the V5 from DVLA by now, we'd have bought UK reg. plates, and be out practising driving the MH, not sitting here fretting about this.

Help....please.
Note that option 4 will not be available on the continent. Each country has it's own suppliers and the bottles/connections differ. One reason/incentive to go with one of the refillable options

Wyn

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Fifiwi

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Thanks all. Decision has been made, we think. We're going for a small filler in the skirt, and a single 11k Alugas bottle in the locker for the meantime. Hopefully this will do the job. We really do appreciate the responses to this question. As many have said before, the subscription is money well spent. Still not on the road, sadly, but we are making repeated trips to the van, just checking this and that!

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Fitted this morning and this may address your initial question about the filler pipe being secured. I initially wanted it to go down the left of the bottle, though I see now that this may have caused too tight a bend at the bottom. It flows better like this and can be secured with the straps. I'm going to drill the shelf and fit a couple of cable ties to secure the fill pipe where it bends around towards the filler. One problem with Gaslow is the attraction of wasps because of the bright yellow.
Tim

Attachments

• 20160317_122018.jpg
    20160317_122018.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 20160317_123136.jpg
    20160317_123136.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 35
  • 20160317_122000.jpg
    20160317_122000.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20160317_121935.jpg
    20160317_121935.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
We have an under-slung tank,as per Autogas 2000 fitted during build, 90 litres so can store 72 litres on the 80% rule, can go a long long while between refills

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Fifiwi

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Belated update, with many thanks for your help!
Our gas is now sorted. We (he) took about an hour and a half to do the whole job- putting a hole in the skirt and coupling everything together. It was much easier than expected, but after watching the Ourtour youtube video, we decided to give it a go, rather than wait weeks for an installer to fit it. I have attached some photos of his handiwork. One thing possibly to watch out for is, that with the skirt being curved, and the filler point being flat, you have to allow for this when positioning the smaller mounting holes on the filler.
We now have heating, hot water etc...
Cost of installation- £11 approx for the hole cutter, bought from Wickes.

Attachments

• P1040436.JPG
    P1040436.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 31
  • P1040437.JPG
    P1040437.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 28
  • P1040438.JPG
    P1040438.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 28
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.