Free Member
Aug 11, 2013
Plymouth UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2015
hi.... can anybody tell me how to tell if the pipe from regulator to gas distribution manifold is 8mm or 10mm. Mine is plastic coated copper.... do you measure the diameter including the cover, just the copper, or the internal diameter?

TIA

Chris

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
You could just cut a bit of the plastic of and measure the od. If it’s 10 mm then it’s 8 mm pipe.
Or just measure with plastic on if it’s 11 ish mm its 8mm pipe

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
You could just cut a bit of the plastic of and measure the od. If it’s 10 mm then it’s 8 mm pipe.
Or just measure with plastic on if it’s 11 ish mm its 8mm pipe

I always thought the size of the copper pipe was related to the outside diameter (without the plastic protection layer, if present).

The reason being, any couplings or olives are sized to fit the outside diameter of the pipe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I thought the gas pipes on our Carthago were plastic coated copper pipe also. However closer inspection revealed they were steel pipes with a plastic coating. The end of the 3 way Truma gas manifold valve under the worktop supplying all the appliances had an end plug which I have used to feed a new external BBQ point. On removal of the end plug I discovered that the pipe outlet was 10 mm, not 8mm as I thought it would be. This led to me having to get hold of 10mm to 8mm reduction olive kits, when having fitted I was not happy with.
I then had to have a brass reducer pipe manufactured only 65mm long but going from 10mm to 8mm OD size.
Lesson learned, Truma make distribution manifold valves with 8 or 10mm outlets with the main feed being 12mm in some cases. Carthago fit the 10mm outlet size due to the pipe length to supply heavy usage items like boiler and FF.
Good luck with your install, I was pulling hair out with mine at the time as I could not get to the manifold to fully remove it and replace with a 4 way, which would have been the simplest method.
Les

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
hi.... can anybody tell me how to tell if the pipe from regulator to gas distribution manifold is 8mm or 10mm. Mine is plastic coated copper.... do you measure the diameter including the cover, just the copper, or the internal diameter?

TIA

Chris
What are you trying to do?

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
As an aside, "pipe" is generally measured and specc'd by it's outside diameter, whereas "tube" is usually specc'd by it's internal diameter or bore.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I always thought the size of the copper pipe was related to the outside diameter (without the plastic protection layer, if present).

The reason being, any couplings or olives are sized to fit the outside diameter of the pipe.

You are correct (y)

Must of had brain fade earlier :rolleyes:
Apologise for the misinformation.
I’m off to put the dunces hat on and stand in the corner :(

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
To reduce size from 10mm to 8mm I would have just used a solder fitting. Solder fitting are available in all the above mentioned pipe sizes.

OP
OP
chrisinplymouth

chrisinplymouth

Free Member
Aug 11, 2013
Plymouth UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2015
Ah Thought that you were cutting the pipe to add something, which I was going to advise you against lol
@eddievanbitz No just a spare regulator this time, but in the future was going to get a bbq point fitted. Would this involve a manifold change then? Existing one is a 3 way with no spare outlet.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
@eddievanbitz No just a spare regulator this time, but in the future was going to get a bbq point fitted. Would this involve a manifold change then? Existing one is a 3 way with no spare outlet.
It would be easier and safer in my opinion to change for a four way manifold so you have safe and easy shut off for the BBQ point. Having said that I have given up fitting external BBQ points as I always find that they end up in the wrong place.

I use my BBQ under the awning sometimes, sometimes in the Sun, sometimes in the shade of a tree, sometimes carried around to my mates van, all over the place, determined by the weather, what I am cooking and the company. Gas pipes are only supposed to be 1m and even if you double or triple this, I found the BBQ always in the wrong place

So I am back to carrying a small lightweight bottle, so I can BBQ where I want not where I have to be!

OP
OP
chrisinplymouth

chrisinplymouth

Free Member
Aug 11, 2013
Plymouth UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2015
It would be easier and safer in my opinion to change for a four way manifold so you have safe and easy shut off for the BBQ point. Having said that I have given up fitting external BBQ points as I always find that they end up in the wrong place.

I use my BBQ under the awning sometimes, sometimes in the Sun, sometimes in the shade of a tree, sometimes carried around to my mates van, all over the place, determined by the weather, what I am cooking and the company. Gas pipes are only supposed to be 1m and even if you double or triple this, I found the BBQ always in the wrong place

So I am back to carrying a small lightweight bottle, so I can BBQ where I want not where I have to be!
Actually...... that’s a very good point.....

Jul 8, 2023
Funster No
MH
lunar

I have this regulator which has a 10 on it, so I thought it would be a 10mm one. Is this correct as the pipe seems to look more like 8mm.Thanks for any advice.

16888277811623285919783110543919.jpg

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Soldered fitting should not be used on vehicles the vibration can cause them to fail
I dont dispute that at all . i find that suprising compresion joints are considered better. Do you have any reference to that as i may have to change a joint

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Compression joint should only be used on accessable positions as they may come loose. I don't have any reference material regarding soldered joints to hand, I have been retired for a while now. I will see if I can find anything tomorrow.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No

I have this regulator which has a 10 on it, so I thought it would be a 10mm one. Is this correct as the pipe seems to look more like 8mm.Thanks for any advice.

View attachment 779763
That’s the year of manufacture
So it’s now 13 years old and should have been replaced at 10 years maximum.
Basically it’s now scrap ☹️😂

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Compression joint should only be used on accessable positions as they may come loose. I don't have any reference material regarding soldered joints to hand, I have been retired for a while now. I will see if I can find anything tomorrow.
You can only hard solder on leisure vehicles so normal soft soldering is not acceptable, the problem is the vibration can cause the soft solder to migrate from the joints.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
You can only hard solder on leisure vehicles so normal soft soldering is not acceptable, the problem is the vibration can cause the soft solder to migrate from the joints.
I remember something in the exams but as we never worked on motorhomes I forgot almost all of it until the next exam 😄

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Soldered fitting should not be used on vehicles the vibration can cause them to fail

I dont dispute that at all . i find that suprising compresion joints are considered better. Do you have any reference to that as i may have to change a joint
You shouldn't use soldered joints on wiring in vehicles either.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
You are correct (y)

Must of had brain fade earlier :rolleyes:
Apologise for the misinformation.
I’m off to put the dunces hat on and stand in the corner :(
It happens, I know!!!