Gas or genie box dilemma (1 Viewer)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The other important advantage of tanks or Gaslow/Gasit that hasn't been mentioned is: no more lifting / lugging heavy bottles.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i would think underslung tank is the best option as you gain the locker in storage space this was the main reason we did it worrying about being able to move them to the next motorhome when a new set is a fraction of the price of the next van seems silly to me unless you know your not keeping the van for long

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Go for the under-slung gas tank and an external filling point, as said earlier some stations won't let you fill gas bottles as it is potentially dangerous unless you have the proper refillable bottles, trouble is as soon as you open a locker door to refill they stop you! So you are better off with an external filler!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
there is such a variety of gas bottles in Europe, that I doubt anyone knows all the sizes..

what I do know is that the 11kg refillable bottles, Gaslow and GasIt are the same size as the German 11kg propane exchange bottle.. and most continental vans have a locker that takes two x 11kg , which doesn't help much since you have an Eldis..

an advantage of refillable bottles are the can be removed and re-fitted in your next van..

sorry can't help further.
Gas-it use German bottles for their kit.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
The other important advantage of tanks or Gaslow/Gasit that hasn't been mentioned is: no more lifting / lugging heavy bottles.
Probably also worth mentioning using a refillable system you are not breaking a gas tight seal to simply change a tank, of unknown provenance(y) My 11L system is proving fine and long lasting & plenty of LPG stations in Spain & Portugal.

OP
OP
taralabradog

taralabradog

Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis majestic 105
Exp
Thanks for all the contributions folks.
I now have an underslung tank fitted by Autogas 2000 and an empty gas locker just waiting to be filled with some more goodies. :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Go for the under-slung gas tank and an external filling point, as said earlier some stations won't let you fill gas bottles as it is potentially dangerous unless you have the proper refillable bottles, trouble is as soon as you open a locker door to refill they stop you! So you are better off with an external filler!
Not in our experience - we've had refillable since 2009 and have to open the locker to fill so it is clear that it is for 'domestic' use and not propulsion - in all that time we've only ONCE been refused at a major gas station in Italy (on a major road), in fact most offer to help.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Re fillable, whether it is bottle(s) or a fitted tank, is definitely the way to go. Ignore tales of poor availability, it just takes a little forethought and planning to locate the most convenient gas station on your route,

The Tincas

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back