Gas on while driving (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2008
Lowestoft
Funster No
MH
Frankia FF2
Exp
since 1999
We would like to be able to keep the gas on while driving (in very cold conditions) so that the water dump vale won't operate and that we have hot water available when we arrive.

We have a Gaslow 2 cylinder system with their auto changeover regulator.

Has anyone fitted Truma's SecuMotion hoses etc to this or any other configuration? I think this is the only option available.

:thumb:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
We would like to be able to keep the gas on while driving (in very cold conditions) so that the water dump vale won't operate and that we have hot water available when we arrive.

Has anyone fitted Truma's SecuMotion hoses etc to this or any other configuration? I think this is the only option available.

don't know the answer but we had a debate ref gas on or off whilst driving some weeks ago. Frankly I don't have it on as its a time bomb waiting to go off if you an accident. Ask any fireman about gas bottle fires in Motor homes and he will tell you what happens.!!

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
I don't think you will find any responsible person advising keeping your gas bottle turned on while driving. Some people may do it but they are the type who don't think about the consequences (if they were involved in an accident)

Annoyingly it's often the other parties who get injured or killed while trying to contain a fire caused by this inconsiderate attitude and NOT the person who thought only of themselves.

But nothing unusual there, you see it everywhere these days :Sad:

ETA:-
What are Truma's secumotion hoses ? Do they claim they are safe in an accident ?? Have they been tested and approved by some independant testing house ??? If the bottle is on and a hose is ruptured gas will escape, how can you guarantee a hose will not be damaged ??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
One of our customers decided to cut up a propane bottle (he was a scrap metal merchant):Doh:
When he started to cut it it it exploded it took of and it landed a mile away in the middle of a roundabout and that was a 47kg bottle

He didn't cut a second one :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Use a clothes peg on the dump valve and a kettle for fast hot water.

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Mine is on all the time.

My gas supplier demonstrated the effect of a rupture by disconnecting the outlet hose from my full re-fillable cylinder - a puff of gas then instant shut down - no gas no drama!

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
our Eura Mobil has a heat exchange unit, which draws heat from the exhurst and blows it in throw blown air vents, and its excellent

That said it also as a second gas heater which blows hot air around the windscreen (A class) and prevents it steaming up, this is designed to be used as your are driving,

It certainly raises a safety question, as the heater is behind the near side front wing(which is the offside whilst on the continent) and its only fibreglass so offer little protection

maybe I should add some extras blowers from the heat exchanger.

johnnerontheroad

Free Member
Dec 11, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have a N+B Flair and this is from the manual

"In Germany, the heating can be run whilst driving.
It is not permitted to use the heating:
- At petrol stations when filling up.
- On ferries.
- In garages.
- If you are going abroad get information beforehand; different
regulations may apply to use of heating."

and

"When travelling in Germany only gas appliances that carry a recognised
mark ( sinus curve) from KBA (Kraftfahrt Bundesamt) on their data plate may be used!"

So it looks like it is OK in some countries.

Dave

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I don't think you will find any responsible person advising keeping your gas bottle turned on while driving. Some people may do it but they are the type who don't think about the consequences (if they were involved in an accident)

Annoyingly it's often the other parties who get injured or killed while trying to contain a fire caused by this inconsiderate attitude and NOT the person who thought only of themselves.

But nothing unusual there, you see it everywhere these days :Sad:

ETA:-
What are Truma's secumotion hoses ? Do they claim they are safe in an accident ?? Have they been tested and approved by some independant testing house ??? If the bottle is on and a hose is ruptured gas will escape, how can you guarantee a hose will not be damaged ??

Don't they leave the gas on in LPG powered vehicles? Link Removed

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I leave mine on all the time Link Removed as suggested in my motorhome book as I have the Truma secumotion fitted.

muz

Free Member
Nov 15, 2007
eastwood notts
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
petrol is just as explosive as gas,do you turn the petrol off? dont think so.if you have an accident and the vehicle catches fire there is loads of things in cars that go bang.[fuel tanks,batteries,air bags,brake fluid,oils,the list goes on.]i have my heating on whist traveing but it does not mean i am careless or irisponable.i will let you decide ? but why get cold when you have means of keeping warm.of course i switch all off when refueling,petrol or lpg.MUZ

garfield

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
North west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
40yrs
I bought a flue from Truma so the flame did not go out.(while driving) Truma make their heaters to be left on while driving, can't see a problem , all those who drive lpg vans leave their gas on what is the difference?

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I would be very interested if anyone has actually done this or knows if its possible e.g. are the Truma's SecuMotion hose connections compatible with the GasLow fittings

Thanks

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
LPG tank is always on as it's required for the fridge/freezer ( no 12vdc option )

also used the hot air furnace when traveling if it's really cold..

jim

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
As Jim, I leave my gas on all the time for fridge, have to remember when re fuelling to turn gas off as pilot light could cause a bang :Eeek:

Aug 1, 2009
Funster No
Gas on whilst travelling

I dont usually leave my gas on when travelling but have just got back from a few days away in the Peak District. We went on Christmas day during the snow and left when the snow was even worse up there (the roads were fine though) I have a Knaus sport Ti and it came with the secumotion hose that is designed for leaving your gas on when driving. It has a safety valve/button at bith ends of the flexy hose. when you turn the gas bottles on you have to press each button for 3 seconds to activate them. in the event of a hose failure the valves shut off. We did leave he gas on this time and our truma combi E kept the van warm during travelling as well as when we were there, it was a godsend.

http://www.southdownsmotorcaravans.co.uk/accessories/truma_drive-safe_secumotion.php

for more information. (there is downloadable info)

Merry Christmas ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

kkclassic

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
South Coast
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi all

I have to agree with Jim and Larrynwin we run with the gas on as no 12v for fridge/freezer. I suppose we could always run the gennie to power them instead.

Kevin and Tricia

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Going back to Billy, page 1. Your mate decided to cut up a cylinder and it exploded! l wonder why! Obviously your mate had gone for a wee when intelligence was given out! And as Oscar Wilde said, "sense isn't common". How true.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi all,

We too have our heating on whilst travelling, as per the instructions in the manufacturers handbook. It's approved by TUV, and if it's good enough for the Germans, it's good enough for me.
Twice over the last few days, we have used the Truma "E" heater to warm the cab whilst driving, until the engine coolant has reached operating temperature for the heater matrix to take over. The Truma "C" heater has been on constantly, from the time we left home, until we returned.

Our fridge freezer isolates itself for up to 15 mins after the ignition is switched off, to facilitate refuelling.

HTH,

Jock.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
QUOTE]

Sorry Harvey but I am not irresponsible but do travel with my gas on and would advise it if your van is fitted with the correct equipment. My manual informs me that it can be done and many continental vans can and do as the replies are testement to.
So back for more research before you purchase that van because I for one, having now done it, would not leave home to some of our destinations without being able to have the heating on. We also have the heat exchange unit which is also reccomended and of course Tara doubles up as a foot warmer.::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back