LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
the wife will choose this point to ask "did you turn the gas off?", lots of swearing then ensues. The swearing increases usually when just to score points she'll say "Did you leave the TV aerial up again?" :D

They are two of the points on our "pre-flight check list" which is divided into inside and outside lists..... OCD? Moi?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
They are two of the points on our "pre-flight check list" which is divided into inside and outside lists..... OCD? Moi?
Mine too, but it would appear I'm not good at this OCD malarky! :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
May be legal to drive with the gas on in the UK without a safety cut out system such as the Secumotion & anti rupture hoses , but it is illegal in other countries France for one, only legal if you have such as system.
In the past I've always turned the gas of at the bottles, current van has Secumotion & anti rupture hoses so I'm happy to leave the gas on, always turn off on ferries.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
May be legal to drive with the gas on in the UK without a safety cut out system such as the Secumotion & anti rupture hoses , but it is illegal in other countries France for one, only legal if you have such as system.
In the past I've always turned the gas of at the bottles, current van has Secumotion & anti rupture hoses so I'm happy to leave the gas on, always turn off on ferries.

Sorry.. wrong...
Not sure where you got your info from but I am afraid it is simply not correct

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I gather all those who turn off gas drive flintstone cars or horse and carts ?

Impacted diesel and petrol is fairly flammable in my experience...
.............. and petrol much worse than LPG because it evaporates slowly & therefore sticks around waiting to be ignited. Incidentally LPG-powered vehicles don't turn the gas off when travelling and the LPG is at storage pressure (and in liquid form) in the pipe from the storage vessel to the engine compartment.

Les

Apr 18, 2008
Seaford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
Arrived home from trip following a vehicle i assumed it was burning LPG as is could smell it.on arriving home smell from my gas locker one off pipes ruptured :-((.
Now both replaced with Stainless Flexy pipe.
Probably turn of now when travelling

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Ah don't know one minute bru is asking if they can travel with the gas heating on and the next they're complaining they're using too much gas!:giggle::giggle::giggle:
Make your mind up girls!:getmecoat:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Last edited:
OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Ah don't know one minute bru is asking if they can travel with the gas heating on and the next they're complaining they're using too much gas!:giggle::giggle::giggle:
Dont want to drive with it on, just wondered what happened when we forget to turn it off though come the winter and as a result of the answers here I might just be tempted if its cold enough.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Truma even sell a special flu cap that takes a minute to fit so you can have the heating on whilst driving.. ( of which I have a spare, cos I bought one and then realised the new van already had one fitted !! )

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Truma even sell a special flu cap that takes a minute to fit so you can have the heating on whilst driving.. ( of which I have a spare, cos I bought one and then realised the new van already had one fitted !! )
Do you have a link for this flue please. Our fire seems to blows out in the wind so this seems to be a possible solution.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
"A fiendish clever plan ?.. Get the electromagicians on here to exp[lain the inner workings of Inverters/Inverti ? LOL. When it is cold.and with the GAS OFF,put a nice stew/whatever in your "Romaneski/Ramosca ?",this is then located in the sink and will keep the interior warm. "Fire up the Quattro!" and off you go.As far as i know,there is no EU directive that states this is a NO NO.Saying that,it's not something i would do.
Problem,being warm and catching the aromas of a "Thick Brown Stew",(and dumplings),drifting around,you may pull into a lay bye and eat it all,way before you reach your destination.Problem solved,switch on the GAS and cook another.
Tea Bag.
PS. There is a village near Tabua called Ramouca,is this where Ramo..whatsits are made ?
PPS. If no dumplings,chunks of fresh bread,with butter spread thick enough to leave teeth marks when bitten into......

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Do you have a link for this flue please. Our fire seems to blows out in the wind so this seems to be a possible solution.
You can have my nice new spare and save lolly !
Tenner including postage if you are interested ?

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Excellent thanks. Is it a one size fits them all? And can you tell me how to fit it or in fact I will probably persuade @andy63 to fit it for me :D

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Twist the old one off and fit the new one.. About 3 minutes tops :)
I will send you a PM with bank details if thats ok ( unless you are doing stratford in which case I will bring it along :)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
On ours you have to select 12v/230v/Gas on the front of the fridge, so there's no way it's going to switch itself to 12v and switch the gas off when the engine's on.

If you remove the lower vent grille you can see the exposed flame burning when it's on gas, and it's easy to blow it out, so if the gas is on when driving it's bound to be repeatedly reigniting, which means you're adding a spark to the mix as well, and wearing out your gas ignition.

Consequently I always turn the gas off when driving, and when crossing the channel. I also turn the gas off at the cylinder valve. You wouldn't light a candle when pulled up next to a petrol pump so why do the same with your fridge?

And potentially dangerous in a filling station. BUSBY...

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And potentially dangerous in a filling station. BUSBY...

Well it might be if you sit at the pump for 12 minutes plus, as the gas side will not fire up until 10 to 12 minutes has elapsed since in 12v mode

And of course turning the gas off will not stop an automatic 3 way fridge from TRYING to fire up so you would still get the spark any way

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I always drive with the gas on with secumotion but always turn gas off on tunnel/ferry and fridge turned from auto to 12v so it won't try to light

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back