GAS - - - - NO !!!!!! regulator failed (1 Viewer)

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Got up this morning with the promise of Bacon Sausages Ceps Fried Eggs and Tomatoes

Got everything ready and set the Cadac and no gas !?!?!?!?!?!
checked the Gas-It cylinders we still have 3/4 of what we left England with in July
Checked the anticrash valve nothing checked the engine once switched off (not been started in 3 weeks and still fired up first turn) still no gas

Conclusion regulator shot

Thank Goodness we are in Benidorm not a seaside aire in France or somewhere else in Spain the caravan shop is just 400m from Camping Arena Blanca so hopped on my now trusty mobiscooter (only had batteries fail whilst we have been here in Benidorm 300€ to replace but instant compared to getting some shipped out and supplier of old ones gave us money back too ) and went to see the nice man who had just one bulkhead regulator left with the Anticrash valve - I do prefer the peace of mind with it but 139€ I thought FEKK!!!!!!!
but needs must and I paid scooted back and fitted it double checked the whole system for leaks None - thank goodness as I had got Stephanie watching my every move

Switched the stove on (for the kettle) and there was gas

Boy was I happy just a late breakfast but worth it - then Whilst drinking my second cup of Coffee I looked at Ebay £125 for the identical reg so with postage this one was cheaper (for that shop that's a FIRST)

Now need to just find a Truma water heat vent that I smashed off AGAIN and some toerag in France nicked the cover for it too

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Strange that i have just read and been in conversation on Facebook who's secure motion regulator has just failed after 2 years..
Is this the start of a problem or just a coincidence ?? (n)

Glad your sorted anyway... BE VERY CAREFUL IN BENI.. My Mom is there, the streets wont be safe once she gets on one of those scooters... :whistle:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Now need to just find a Truma water heat vent that I smashed off AGAIN and some toerag in France nicked the cover for it too
I put a screw through either side on my water heater cover if travelling with it on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not had one fail yet but to be on the safe side I carry a bottle top regulator and a hose that allows me to couple into the system after the Truma reg.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
I had a problem with our Truma secure motion regulator a couple of months ago whilst we were on our way home from Greece. It would keep cutting out and I would have to go and press the green button for it to continue to work. This happened numerous times at irregular intervals. I replaced the regulator once we got home and that resolved the problem. I put it down to picking up some crappy gas on somewhere along our journey.

Pete

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Secumotion regulators are well known for failing. They're particularly susceptible to oily LPG. Good idea to carry either a spare or a Bootle top reg as @lennyhb suggests

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Strange that i have just read and been in conversation on Facebook who's secure motion regulator has just failed after 2 years..
Is this the start of a problem or just a coincidence ?? (n)

Glad your sorted anyway... BE VERY CAREFUL IN BENI.. My Mom is there, the streets wont be safe once she gets on one of those scooters... :whistle:
Ours failed after only 8 months .. now carry a spare.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Mine is just 2 years old, and had the filters since new which I have checked annually and replaced the cartridges when needed. It got stuck taking from both bottles simultaneously. With some advice from @Robert Clark I got it cleared but Truma UK tell me to get it checked as they believe it's failing. Because of the reported issues with these regulators I carry a spare but I will push them for a warranty replacement on my return in November.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Our regulator also had to be replaced after 2 years when we complained of the oven not working well.
When the dealer checked there was a partial blockage caused by oil. £140 for a replacement, ouch!
Thought about fitting Truma filters but they cost almost as much as the regulator and need elements changing every so often, at daft prices.
Perhaps I should order a spare as we never know where we are going to fill up with gas.
What does the expert jury advise?

Richard.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I fitted the filters after the first failure which I attributed to oily Moroccan gas. I even did the free recall as advised by truma and it still failed next Moroccan trip.

Imo the filters are a useless waste of money and they went in the bin.

Jon

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I fitted the filters after the first failure which I attributed to oily Moroccan gas. I even did the free recall as advised by truma and it still failed next Moroccan trip.

Jon
I tend to agree Jon, however the engineer I spoke with at Truma UK last year when I realised these regulators had issues strongly suggested warranty would be voided without the filters? I think it's all "kings new set of clothes" syndrome with menace's!

stephen78

Free Member
Mar 9, 2015
swansea
Funster No
MH
Pvc
Exp
since 2014
Just out of curiosity are your regulators located higher than your bottles as this would allow any oil or sludge pulled up the pipe to the reg to run back to the bottles instead of sitting in the reg and contaminating it!

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Just out of curiosity are your regulators located higher than your bottles as this would allow any oil or sludge pulled up the pipe to the reg to run back to the bottles instead of sitting in the reg and contaminating it!
Mine is higher.
IMG_20170902_180547.jpg

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Mines even higher than yours, so there!
Oh, hang on, I haven't got refillable:D:D

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Yes it might be "higher " but unless you have a fall back to the bottle , which you haven't, oil & residue will not return.
With yours it travels upwards from the bottle, through the filter & in to a 90º down facing elbow & then another90º elbow into regulator. Which would mean any oil cannot travel back uphill from the regulator.
In fact in your situation with those 90º elbows as they are you have, unfortunately when not using any gas , the ideal state for oil & residue to pool at the regulator permanently.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Yes it might be "higher " but unless you have a fall back to the bottle , which you haven't, oil & residue will not return.
With yours it travels upwards from the bottle, through the filter & in to a 90º down facing elbow & then another90º elbow into regulator. Which would mean any oil cannot travel back uphill from the regulator.
In fact in your situation with those 90º elbows as they are you have, unfortunately when not using any gas , the ideal state for oil & residue to pool at the regulator permanently.
Interesting, and logical to a point, they came from the factory like that and I just swapped the bottles. Small issue with it, if the filters are there to remove oil from the gas, how can there be oil in the gas post the filters to collect at the regulator? The oil collects in the cups I have seen it there when changing the cartridges.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008

Jon
Thanks for that.
Glad I didn't waste money on them as I was tempted.

Anyone know the best/ cheapest place to buy a spare regulator?

Richard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back