Gas manifold placement (1 Viewer)

drq

Free Member
Jul 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van coonversion
Hi, I'm slightly confused about where to place the 3 way manifold for my fridge, hob and oven.

The sensible thing to do (and apparently Australian regulations) is to have it outside, and have unbroken lines of copper entering the vehicle to each appliance, but this means the manifold must be under the floor, and could be vulnerable to stones, weather etc. The other alternative I considered was giving it its own small gas tight box. I wouldn't feel happy with it sharing the gas tight box with the 3 way fridge incase of leaks.

What would be the usual thing to do here?

Many thanks

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Mine is fitted under sink to the side. IE where external pipe from bottles enters the van. Tucked out the way but easy to get to and very useful if one appliance breaks/leaks you can shut it down .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I always fit the gas manifold in a cupboard below the appliances and in a very accessible location to enable isolation of items if necessary.

We use copper tube in the UK but I believe it has to be steel in Germany (I may be wrong there).

OP
OP
drq

drq

Free Member
Jul 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van coonversion
Thanks all, great to have some hands-on experience to call on!

So it seems the common theme is to have it in the kitchen unit, and certainly seems ease of access is critical, which makes a lot of sense.

In all of these cases, however, guess the manifold would vent into the living area if there were any leaks? I suppose it might be possible to have a drop out vent under the manifold for peace of mind, in any case?

Jul 10, 2018
Worcester(U.K)
Funster No
MH
Tamar Ducato160multi
Exp
cavagna-three-3-way-gas-manifold-with-taps.jpg

OP
OP
drq

drq

Free Member
Jul 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van coonversion
I think I'll pop it either in its own cupboard under the sink with small vent of its own, or as mitzimad said in a small cupboard under the fridge seems like an idea, and possibly share the vent for the fridge :unsure:

mitzimad do you happen to have any photos of your under fridge cupboard? If so would be really interested to see.

Thanks all, much appreciated!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would say there's as much chance of your appliances leaking as there is of the manifold leaking.
As long as it's checked for leaks at installation it should be safe.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I would say there's as much chance of your appliances leaking as there is of the manifold leaking.
As long as it's checked for leaks at installation it should be safe.
Don't bee too sure.
I had one that literally fell apart, the whole tap assembly fell out of the main body!!! Luckily I was able to put my thumb over the hole whilst my wife turned the gas off at the cylinder.
The fault was reported to the supplier who as expected said that they had never seen it happen before. The actual fault was a very poor crimping of the brass fitting.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Don't bee too sure.
I had one that literally fell apart, the whole tap assembly fell out of the main body!!! Luckily I was able to put my thumb over the hole whilst my wife turned the gas off at the cylinder.
The fault was reported to the supplier who as expected said that they had never seen it happen before. The actual fault was a very poor crimping of the brass fitting.
A 22 x 15 x 15 tee in my loft sealed perfectly with flux for at least 20 years (AFAIKšŸ˜³). The 22 branch had never been soldered. Your mention of sealing it with your thumb reminded me as that's what I did whilst wife turned the gas off.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
sorry just seen your ask for photos ive just realised we have two manifolds the one under the fridge does the fridge and water heater

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back