LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We now have one of each linked together. An 11kg gaslow and 6kg gasit bottle.

rick brind

Free Member
May 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
hymer a class
Exp
6 years
Fitted gasit myself easy to do and £200 cheaper than others. Works perfectly and with multiple attachment set can fill anywhere in Europe.

Apr 29, 2016
Aquitaine, France
Funster No
MH
Kentucky Estro 9
Exp
23 years
Original Gaslow cylinders had a 15 year life ?
Just for information, I have Alugas fitted for 12 years. Recently noticed that after filling, gas was leaking from the filler for a couple of minutes (contents of hose?). Contacted Alugas about this, reply was, 10 year lifespan, return to factory (Germany) refurb of valves etc. €65 + freight or renewal with fitted level indicator €165 + freight

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
Decided to fit Gas-It, one x 11kg, don't understand why folk fit more than one bottle when LPG is so easy to find? I'd sooner have the extra weight allowance.

Gas-It was quite a bit cheaper and if the hype is to be believed, the hoses Gaslow provide don't meet the required standard? Oops - take cover!!

SteveJulesMontycame2

Free Member
May 17, 2019
Touring Europe
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated <8m
Decided to fit Gas-It, one x 11kg, don't understand why folk fit more than one bottle when LPG is so easy to find? I'd sooner have the extra weight allowance.
Horses for courses, one size certainly does not fit all. We tour Europe in winter and are currently skiing in Austria. We have 2 x 11kg (Gasit) fitted because we get through one every 5 days in the winter sub zero temperatures and wouldn't want to move every four days to top it up!
Austria is not that well populated with Autogas filing stations. We topped up en route here but the nearest from us is a 40 minute drive away. We also have a reserve gas connection pipe that connects an external (we have a German spare) 3rd cylinder to the filler connection. Allows us to buy propane cylinders from hardware stores or from the campsite when we can’t get to a filling station - like where we are now. When the first tank was empty, I connected the external cylinder and when that’s gone, will switch over to the second cylinder whilst replacing the external one and so on. We’re here for three weeks, so anticipate needing another refill cylinder after this ones gone, then we’ll use up the second gasit cylinder and fill up after we leave here.
(11kg propane cylinders over here are circa 17€, so not much more than forecourt prices (0.70cents a litre) and certainly not as expensive as cylinders in the UK).

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002

Gas-It was quite a bit cheaper and if the hype is to be believed, the hoses Gaslow provide don't meet the required standard? Oops - take cover!!
Could you please supply the information that Gaslow hoses don’t meet the required standard.
Thankyou in anticipation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I have twin 11kg gasit plus bottles with the 4 valves and crash cut off built in . Also have inbuilt gauges

Means I can leave them on all the time and in event of an accident they cant leak

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Horses for courses, one size certainly does not fit all. We tour Europe in winter and are currently skiing in Austria. We have 2 x 11kg (Gasit) fitted because we get through one every 5 days in the winter sub zero temperatures and wouldn't want to move every four days to top it up!
Austria is not that well populated with Autogas filing stations. We topped up en route here but the nearest from us is a 40 minute drive away. We also have a reserve gas connection pipe that connects an external (we have a German spare) 3rd cylinder to the filler connection. Allows us to buy propane cylinders from hardware stores or from the campsite when we can’t get to a filling station - like where we are now. When the first tank was empty, I connected the external cylinder and when that’s gone, will switch over to the second cylinder whilst replacing the external one and so on. We’re here for three weeks, so anticipate needing another refill cylinder after this ones gone, then we’ll use up the second gasit cylinder and fill up after we leave here.
(11kg propane cylinders over here are circa 17€, so not much more than forecourt prices (0.70cents a litre) and certainly not as expensive as cylinders in the UK).
Have I read somewhere you should only use external bottle when both refillable empty? Presumably you just shut one bottle off, if so that obviously works for you?

Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
1 x 11Kg + 1x 6Kg Gas it and fitted myself. Got a gas safety certificate (£25) Comfort don't need it but nice to have my work checked.
I am considering fitting an in-line filter and don't use either manual ot automatic change over as just open/close bottles when needed.
Mainly use the 11Kg and top as necessary. The 6Kg is there for wilding when fill up stations are few and far between (or when i forget to check levels!).
Never run out and cheap to fill.

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
Could you please supply the information that Gaslow hoses don’t meet the required standard.
Thankyou in anticipation.

When I researched ours (for our particular needs of course ? !!) I found this:

I may have interpreted him incorrectly, but the gentleman seems to be suggesting that other brands using stainless steel fill hoses are "not certified to any regulation".

I dont think any particular brand is going to big up a competitor, so it's up to you to do the research and find the system that best suits your own particular needs.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Depends where you are when you get low on gas, I wouldn't want to carry any less than the 2 x 14 kg cylinders I have, nothing worse than having to do a 100 mile detour to get some gas.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
First van had a gas-it 6kg bottle. Only problem was the inaccurate gauge, which meant more frequent top ups so as not to run out, but you feel a bit daft paying £2 to top up etc.
New van, went for two 6kg Gaslow bottle with stainless steel hoses. Much more expensive. The two bottles work better as more flexible about topping up, and the gauge is so much more accurate. The stainless Steel hoses are supposed to reduce the amount of gunge that gets into the regulator, although not aware of having gunge in the previous regulator and some people say the hoses don’t cause the gunge anyway.
Would I consider the cheaper Gas-it in future, yes, but I do think the Gaslow is a superior product and would weigh the price differential up.

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
Depends where you are when you get low on gas, I wouldn't want to carry any less than the 2 x 14 kg cylinders I have, nothing worse than having to do a 100 mile detour to get some gas.

Crikey Lenny, you got a mobile chippy on the side ?. Where do you have to be in Europe to do a 160.934 km detour to find lpg ? ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Crikey Lenny, you got a mobile chippy on the side ?. Where do you have to be in Europe to do a 160.934 km detour to find lpg ? ?
Ireland for one, not that many in Austria and can be a bit scarce in Portugal when you are up in the mountains.

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
Ireland for one, not that many in Austria and can be a bit scarce in Portugal when you are up in the mountains.

Never found Ireland (north or south), Austria or Portugal any problem with one 11kg bottle. Then again we tend to tour so lpg stops are easily incorporated into our particular itinerary.

I can see how it might become a problem staying three weeks in one place when lpg is a 40 minute drive away, but as has previously said - horses for courses.

Not sure I'd be happy fiddling with a third bought in bottle though, presumably a cavernous gas locker is required for that malarkey?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
It's a bit like how much solar to have or water to add. You only need enough to last until the next opportunity to get more.
I take two full bottles of gas on a major trip because I'm lazy and want to spend my time on holiday rather than looking for supplies. Two bottles also provide a warning for when you've emptied the first.

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
I'm a bit lazy as well when it comes to gas. For cheap and accurate indication I use one of these

<Broken link removed>

I find the myLPG.eu app very useful as well, it even gives you the nearest station to you and gps coordinates.

I suppose another factor in all of this is how much gas your van uses. Ours has diesel heating, so we only use gas for the fridge and hot water when wild camping and cooking (most of the time).

Leisure man

Free Member
Feb 19, 2018
Funster No
Autogas 2000 at Thirsk North Yorkshire. Friendly, reliable, straight!
Lighter cylinders I believe.

Jun 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1978
I went for a single Gas-it cylinder as it was cheaper than Gaslo, also I don't like following what everyone else seems to do, and fitted it myself (very easy). Put the filler inside the gas locker so no holes drilled. Changed the van last year so took the system from the old van to the new. I also carry a smaller calor cylinder as a back-up but have never had to use it.

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Question.... How long does it take people to save enough on refilling versus swappable bottles to recoup the initial cost of the refillable system ?

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Question.... How long does it take people to save enough on refilling versus swappable bottles to recoup the initial cost of the refillable system ?
For me it is after I have used about 150 litres or about 18 months

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
There is only one lpg station on the island, hence 92p/litre (still half the cost of exchange gas here!), we make up for it when we go away, but I don't really care if it takes us a few years to pay itself back, it's a convenience thing and knowing that you can simply top the gas up easily along with a diesel fill along the route.

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
When I researched ours (for our particular needs of course ? !!) I found this:

I may have interpreted him incorrectly, but the gentleman seems to be suggesting that other brands using stainless steel fill hoses are "not certified to any regulation".

I dont think any particular brand is going to big up a competitor, so it's up to you to do the research and find the system that best suits your own particular needs.

Getting back to Gas It vs Gaslow, do we have any experts who can discredit Gas It's claims about other brands steel filling hoses not being certified to any regulation. Hell of a claim and I'd be interested to know if it's true???

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
I’m no expert but found this on Gaslow website

<Broken link removed>

Well Gas It clearly state that this and other pressure side hoses are built to EN 10380 and should be changed after 20 years.

Just been on the Gaslow website and guess what. The filler kits including the hose don't quote any built to specification, but search for stainless steel hoses alone and they quote EN 10380.

All very confusing. Are there any experts here able to shed some light on this?

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009

If its just comparing to Calor bottles, a few years on average use. Go over to Mainland Europe for a long period of time and then you probably would need refillable, especially if you you were to need everything on gas. If you don't then you would need to buy local country bottles. This could be rather difficult if you intended to do several countries over a long trip.
Everyone should evaluate their respective requirements before deciding what they need.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back