Gas Low Pressure with Gaslow Bottle (1 Viewer)

WhereNext

Free Member
Jan 30, 2016
Australia
Funster No
MH
Carado T135
Exp
Since 1981
Wondering if someone can assist with a low gas pressure problem please. I'm currently touring in Europe with a new german made van. I have 1x 11kg refillable Gaslow bottle and 1x 11kg german exchange bottle (not joined). I had the Gaslow system installed in June in the UK before leaving. All worked fine with the Gaslow System for the first 6 weeks. When it was empty I refilled the Gaslow bottle in Spain and all as fine for the next week before we noticed the flame on the burners was very low on all rings (or on one ring if only one lit). Tried turning off the bottle, unscrewing the regulator etc. but with no success. Then put the regulator back on the german bottle and it works normally. Since then have tried a few times to swap back to the Gaslow bottle but it either has the same problem or last a minute or so normally before reducing to a low flame. The gaslow bottle shows about 2/3 full wich is about right considering the refill and time used since then. I should add there is no filter on either bottle. Could this be the problem? Any ideas greatly appreciated.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Whereabouts are you now? If the temperature is low, or you are up in mountains, you may have a problem with gas vaporisation. In Spain, I suspect you will have refilled with butane (or mostly butane) but if the temperature is now low, you will need propane in order for the system to work properly.
This is just a long shot but it fits the symptoms you describe.

OP
OP
W

WhereNext

Free Member
Jan 30, 2016
Australia
Funster No
MH
Carado T135
Exp
Since 1981
Have been around the Med coast so very hot I'm afraid.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
First thought was the regulator but as it works with your German bottle you should discount that. As for the Gaslow, there's actually very little to go wrong, apart from some sort of blockage, so I would be inclined to suspect the Spanish fill has introduced something that's causing the problem. Sorry, but that's as far as my knowledge of these things goes. Is there perhaps a workshop or service engineer somewhere near you who can help? Worth asking if you're on a site.

Perhaps this post will alert someone else on the forum.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Based upon what you and others have said it does seem to be a lack of supply from the Gaslow. Are you absolutely sure it is turned on? If it is I would be tempted to turn it off disconnect the feed hose open the valve momentarily and see if there is a good flow. Galsow gauges are not very accurate so are you sure there is actually gas in the cylinder? Please let us how you get on.

OP
OP
W

WhereNext

Free Member
Jan 30, 2016
Australia
Funster No
MH
Carado T135
Exp
Since 1981
Based upon what you and others have said it does seem to be a lack of supply from the Gaslow. Are you absolutely sure it is turned on? If it is I would be tempted to turn it off disconnect the feed hose open the valve momentarily and see if there is a good flow. Galsow gauges are not very accurate so are you sure there is actually gas in the cylinder? Please let us how you get on.
Yes, I have opened the gaslow tap with the regulator off and there is a good flow of gas so eliminates being empty. I also am sure I am turning on the tap sufficiently. Would it be worth removing the regulator and opening the tap to empty the bottle? (Would this possibly still leave the bad liquid component still in the bottle?). I'm in Austria now, so would assume they have a higher grade lpg than Spain? Thankyou so much everyone for your replies, it is very much appreciated.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Firstly when connected you should turn the tap on fully and then back about one quarter turn; same applies to the other cylinder. When disconnected all that you can do is turn it on for a few seconds as high as you dare. No smoking :D, and keep smoking Austrians away ;). Even a very near empty cylinder will give a fairly good flow so try not to be fooled. As for emptying the cylinder I have my doubts it will help and if there is a fair quantity in there you will stink out the whole site and an alp or two; not advisable :whistle:. Have you tapped the Gaslow from bottom to top, or vise versa? There should be a marked difference between the sound as you move above the liquid gas level. I can't help thinking that the bottle is near empty. In any event for the cost of a fill it would be worth going into an Austrian station and seeing how much it will take. As a matter of interest when you refilled the Gaslow how many litres did it take?

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Hi had same problem with a Spanish (mainly Butane works at a much lower pressure) refill. Turns out some of the Truma regulators only work with Propane even though they claim to work with both.

Replaced it with the Truma Duo Control CS type and hey presto works with both Propane and Butane. My dealer is still waiting for an explanation from the Truma technical department. Suspect yours is the same problem.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have just re-read your first post. What regulator are you using? Can you read it's operating pressure? Could be 29mb, 37mb or 30 mb.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
If he filled from an LPG pump he would have received a butane / propane mix. His bulkhead regulator should be set at 30mb (EU standard). Only bottle top regulators are different; propane 37mb and butane 28mb.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WhereNext

Free Member
Jan 30, 2016
Australia
Funster No
MH
Carado T135
Exp
Since 1981
BTW, I don't believe it is a Truma regulator(wish it was then may have an explanation). Just checked my records and we actually used the Spanish gas for 14 days before the problem started.

OP
OP
W

WhereNext

Free Member
Jan 30, 2016
Australia
Funster No
MH
Carado T135
Exp
Since 1981
Firstly when connected you should turn the tap on fully and then back about one quarter turn; same applies to the other cylinder. When disconnected all that you can do is turn it on for a few seconds as high as you dare. No smoking :D, and keep smoking Austrians away ;). Even a very near empty cylinder will give a fairly good flow so try not to be fooled. As for emptying the cylinder I have my doubts it will help and if there is a fair quantity in there you will stink out the whole site and an alp or two; not advisable :whistle:. Have you tapped the Gaslow from bottom to top, or vise versa? There should be a marked difference between the sound as you move above the liquid gas level. I can't help thinking that the bottle is near empty. In any event for the cost of a fill it would be worth going into an Austrian station and seeing how much it will take. As a matter of interest when you refilled the Gaslow how many litres did it take?
The bottle was half full when I started the Spanish refill and it took 10 litres which I think is about right.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
If all seems to work from the German bottle then as @TerryL says above a blockage. The only thing that can block now- as you have opened the Gaslow bottle is the pipe between the bottle and regulator. If it is rubber, maybe blocked or gunged up inside. Do you have auto or manual changeover valve. One side could be sticking.

OP
OP
W

WhereNext

Free Member
Jan 30, 2016
Australia
Funster No
MH
Carado T135
Exp
Since 1981
No changeover I'm afraid, just one rubber hose attached to a single regulator that I manually swap between bottles as needed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back