Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
my mates van had a leaking filler in Spain had to put his Spanish adapter into filler to stop flow of gas out of system until he got back home.

Repair man said they see one every now and again but now mine has started to leak, only 6 months old but I did plug in the local connection hose and attached an external calor propane bottle to test prior to ski trip. I might add all gaslow products designed for this specific task.

Seems you can turn bottles off to stop flow into van - for chunnel etc- but if filler leaks there is no valve to stop both bottles dumping all gas via filler.

Anyone see a problem fitting a manual valve in this filler line?

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The cylinders have a non return valve in the fill pipe attachment point, there is also a non return valve in the filler point itself. The most likely cause of the fill point nrv leaking is sort of foreign matter getting in, it can only leak off the liquid in the pipes not the cylinders themselves. Even if you have just filled up and the fill point nrv leaks it will only be the pipes contents which would be exhausted within about ten minutes usually.

D.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Exactly as Dave's said ... they can't 'back-empty' via the inlet pipe, only the gas left in the pipe itself could escape if there's a leak in the filler.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Happy1

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
so is there a spring or such that hold gas back and that fails?
trying to see how i broke mine just filling with gas via a brand new hose etc.
thinking if i reattach would it knock out any foreign matter?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
so is there a spring or such that hold gas back and that fails?
trying to see how i broke mine just filling with gas via a brand new hose etc.
thinking if i reattach would it knock out any foreign matter?
The one-way valves in the tank and that in the filler can be held open by foreign matter. Given that your tank one is OK I'd do as you suggest - go for another refill which should clear it. If it doesn't I'd renew the filler. It's quite rare to have either valve leak.

OP
OP
Happy1

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
After testing it appears that both the filler and cylinder non return valves have failed, glad it’s at the repair shop not half way to France in the Chunnel.....
anyone else had this problem, would it be an idea to fit a manual valve to shut off filler line?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Happy1 ... what model and age of cylinders are we talking about?

OP
OP
Happy1

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
R67 brand new July 2017 both 11kg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It would be interesting to know what has caused the issues with the new cylinders - have they told you exactly what the problems were?

OP
OP
Happy1

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
foreign matter in filler and they have a procedure to expel that they will only give to repair shop as it entails taking the cylinder to an empty field and doing silly things!!
never had problem with old version and leaves me with less confidence for next trip to the alps next week where i will definitely need the heating on!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
foreign matter in filler
You been trying to smuggle in some immigrants then??? :D2

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have a spring loaded non -return in my actual external filler & where it enters the tank is a small knurled hand wheel .I just close the outlet hand wheel & open the inlet when filling. (y) Can't see why you cannot fit an inline shut off valve .
** Mine is an underslung bulk tank though.**

OP
OP
Happy1

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
gaslow advising that it’s dirt on the nozzle that’s being forced into the non return valves that’s to blame, advised wiping down before filling.
Repair shop have replaced filler valve and flushed out both cylinder valves and all now working fine.
If they fail again abroad I’ll use the spanish adapter screwed into the filler valve as it too has a non return valve.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Connecting a free standing bottle via the filler point is fine except that portable bottles often have dirt and oil etc in them, if you didn't let it settle for a while it is quite likely that debris from the bottle got into the NRV at the refillable bottle end of the filler pipe. Gassit do a filler filter which screws into the filler first before the adaptor. If you are going to use the external bottle system then it would be worth investing. Not all filler pipes have a NRV at the external end only the bottle end. Also as they suggest worth checking the inlet for crud first.
Steve

OP
OP
Happy1

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class