Gas locker door additional lock. (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Hello, I have a Thetford door [ Number 4] on our gas locker door. I wish to increase the security of it over and above the standard door locks.
All the other doors have been treated to a Milenco lock of one sort or another, but the gas locker door is proving a bit more tricky.
I have attached a couple of photos of the door. There's just doesn't seem to be enough margin around the outside of the door to mount anything from the Milenco range in this instance, unless I'm not seeing that option.Like the garage door, it opens from the rear most point forwards, and there's only about 60mm of wall face between the hinged face of the garage door behind it, any idea's please?

20210207_153648.jpg 20210207_153715.jpg 20210207_153941.jpg 20210213_143042.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hello, I have a Thetford door [ Number 4] on our gas locker door. I wish to increase the security of it over and above the standard door locks.
All the other doors have been treated to a Milenco lock of one sort or another, but the gas locker door is proving a bit more tricky.
I have attached a couple of photos of the door. There's just doesn't seem to be enough margin around the outside of the door to mount anything from the Milenco range in this instance, unless I'm not seeing that option.Like the garage door, it opens from the rear most point forwards, and there's only about 60mm of wall face between the hinged face of the garage door behind it, any idea's please?

View attachment 465541 View attachment 465542 View attachment 465543 View attachment 465552
Maybe a Yale type deadlock of some sort? If you want to stick with Milenco you could instead mount it above the gas door which would obviously give some protection.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I have decide to avoid these types of locks because the are only cast aluminium and will break off with a swift clout with a hammer.
What are you trying to protect from theft aside from a gas bottle?
I think you are risking more damage to the van than the price of a gas bottle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I take the view additional locks show you have something worth having inside & if anyone decides to break in they will do a lot more damage.

OP
OP
BouncyBoatFolk
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Long term I have aspirations for an under slung refillable gas tank, so that then releases that cupboard as a valuable storage space, but the comments made are certainly worth baring in mind.
Mike

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We had a Belgian van join us late one evening on an aire in champagne. They had been broken into that evening they had an extra hab door lock but the theives just levered it off in the process badly damaging the wall next to the door. It's a difficult one increased security might mean they choose an easier target but if they want to break in the construction of the walls and windows is so fragile they're just going to cause more damage.
If the underslung gas tank leaves it looking like a gas locker it could be a good hiding place!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We had a Belgian van join us late one evening on an aire in champagne. They had been broken into that evening they had an extra hab door lock but the theives just levered it off in the process badly damaging the wall next to the door. It's a difficult one increased security might mean they choose an easier target but if they want to break in the construction of the walls and windows is so fragile they're just going to cause more damage.
If the underslung gas tank leaves it looking like a gas locker it could be a good hiding place!
A friend of my wife's had their van broken into at City Europe, they had one of those Fiamma handles that swings over the hab door when locked.
£20 of CD's taken and £3000 of damage.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
My refillable gas bottle is chained to the chassis through the gas drop out, not because I fear it being stolen......its just the inconvenience if it were stolen

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back