Gas Locker Access (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
I sure I've read somewhere that legally you should not be able to access the locker from inside the van?
Can anyone shed any light on this, my build did initially have access only from outside but a change of plan may well put the bottle in a locker below the cooker.

<M>

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
I can access mine from inside if I open the back door and lean to the left at a stupid angle!
Mines actually under the wardrobe floor, it’s not that obvious if the timber is sealed in anyway but it does have 3 down vents to the outside.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
Would love to kow this as well. Very tempted to put an access hole inside to be able to turn the gas on after arriving at location

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
In our PVC the gas locker was originally under the bed and the gas locker door was accessible only by opening the back doors of the van. We had our gas storage converted to an underslung tank so the gas bottles and all the gas regulator paraphernalia was removed from the gas locker. To get extra storage space I dismantled the gas locker and in doing so I realised that the compartment have been completely hermetically sealed from the rest of the van with silicone in all the wood joints and rubber strips on the doors and of course there was a vent to the outside in the bottom of the locker.

Mark

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Up to 2 cylinders in an internal locker with a maximum capacity of 16kg each .
Sealed door /hatch the bottom of which is not less than 50 mm above the compartment floor
Drop out vents dependant on cylinder size but normally minimum 2% compartment floor area not less than 10,000mm2

Last edited:
OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Up to 2 cylinders in an internal locker with a maximum capacity of 16kg each .
Sealed door /hatch the bottom of which is not less than 50 mm above the compartment floor
Drop out vents dependant on cylinder size but normally minimum 2% compartment floor area not less than 10,000mm2
By the look of your avatar I can take this info as gospel?
So if I were to install 2 vented has lockers internally each of which could hold a maximum of a 7kg bottle this would be ok?

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
By the look of your avatar I can take this info as gospel?
So if I were to install 2 vented has lockers internally each of which could hold a maximum of a 7kg bottle this would be ok?
No lol
Do your own research it is all information you can find but it will vary depending on how you decide to do your installation.
Yes you can certainly have your internal locker đź‘Ť

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No reason why you can't have it internally so long as it is fully sealed (including the door) and meets all the safety requirements - I did this back in 1996/7 when I converted an ambulance and the gas locker was inside below a full height wardrobe/cupboard I installed.

Also when we had our last Globecar as the gas locker was in the rear under the bed in order to turn the gas on/off I had to open the rear doors and then remove all the stuff at the side of the locker in order to get into the door which opened under the bed (stupid idea!) consequently I installed a hatch on the end wall of the locker so I just had to open the rear doors, take the hatch cover off and stick my arm through to do it.

gas hatch.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back