DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
For a while now I have suspected we have a gas leak but every time it's been checked & found OK. Tried the pressure drop test, the sniffer test, gas leak spray & even soapy water. Every time no leak found so assumed it must be just me or residual smell after refilling. Last week my other half woke up complaining of smelling gas, I could smell it too, so set about investigating again. This time the sniffer suggested it was the crash sensor part of the regulator.
Stripped the whole system out & connected the regulator to a cylinder with the outlet blanked off & nothing, tried all of the above tests & nothing. After trying the same with the hoses & auto changeover, still nothing. Back to the regulator, which I was sure was leaking, & even with it in a bucket of soapy water, nothing. So now I connected a small tap on a hose to the outlet & opened it just a crack. Bingo, with the regulator in the bucket it was leaking from the tiny vent hole in the small yellow button, but only when there is a small gas demand i.e fridge. New regulator required & it's obsolete, despite it being a three year old van. I wonder why - not.
DP

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Well done on finding that!

Looks like the diaphragm has gone inside.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
For a while now I have suspected we have a gas leak but every time it's been checked & found OK. Tried the pressure drop test, the sniffer test, gas leak spray & even soapy water. Every time no leak found so assumed it must be just me or residual smell after refilling. Last week my other half woke up complaining of smelling gas, I could smell it too, so set about investigating again. This time the sniffer suggested it was the crash sensor part of the regulator.
Stripped the whole system out & connected the regulator to a cylinder with the outlet blanked off & nothing, tried all of the above tests & nothing. After trying the same with the hoses & auto changeover, still nothing. Back to the regulator, which I was sure was leaking, & even with it in a bucket of soapy water, nothing. So now I connected a small tap on a hose to the outlet & opened it just a crack. Bingo, with the regulator in the bucket it was leaking from the tiny vent hole in the small yellow button, but only when there is a small gas demand i.e fridge. New regulator required & it's obsolete, despite it being a three year old van. I wonder why - not.
DP
Is it a secumotion regulator?

rupert

Funster
Nov 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
caravaning on and off 10 years
well done Dave ..a tough cookie to crack

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
That sounds like good detective work David, your tenacious for sure.

Bet your pleased you’ve finally got to the bottom of it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back