Gas leak? (1 Viewer)

Aug 3, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
3 years campervan, many as a tugger
The gas bottle box on my pvc always smelt vaguely of gas and despite checking very carefully for leaks the smell has persisted. I have an lpg convention with refillable gaslow bottles and have now taken the system out to transfer it to a new (to us) Rapido.
I have noticed that the gas smell is now in my garage where I have stored the tanks and pipes. Has anyone any idea why this should be? Do the flexible pipes absorb the gas smell and this leaches out through the rubber. The pipes are only 2 years old and show no signs of cracking. The gaslow bottles have been checked and show no loss of content.
Please advise if you can because I am mystified.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The gas does leech out through the rubber (very, very, slowly) but in addition if the pies are disconnected the scent absorbed by the internal pipe walls will cause smells. The stuff that's added to LPG to give it a pungent odour is very pervasive.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Pressurise your system then use a mix of water and washing up liquid to find any escaping gas. Very effective and cheap method to find leaks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
It doesn't take much gas for the smell to be noticed; that's the idea of it. If there's a leak you should be able to get bubbles. If the smell is not strong or strengthening, I'd not worry once you've checked the obvious sources.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Can you part fill a dustbin with water and dunk the entire gas bottle? If there any porous areas on the bottle you should see bubbles.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Gas detection spray might be easier. Comes in an aerosol and you spray it about liberally. You'll get foam if there's a leak. It could put your mind at rest.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
The gas bottle box on my pvc always smelt vaguely of gas and despite checking very carefully for leaks the smell has persisted. I have an lpg convention with refillable gaslow bottles and have now taken the system out to transfer it to a new (to us) Rapido.
I have noticed that the gas smell is now in my garage where I have stored the tanks and pipes. Has anyone any idea why this should be? Do the flexible pipes absorb the gas smell and this leaches out through the rubber. The pipes are only 2 years old and show no signs of cracking. The gaslow bottles have been checked and show no loss of content.
Please advise if you can because I am mystified.
Think me absolutely crazy (or actually Swmbo) but we had a smell of 'gas' just after we'd come back from a few days away but crucially 2 days before we were going away for 6 weeks.
Panicking, I took it to Rhino Installs. We have stainless steel pipes.
Full check of bottles and system and no fault.
I reckon (as I said at the time), it was the smell from the grey water. Dealt with that (cheap coke) and smell went.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm not a fan of rubber pipes at all as they can easily have a very very small hole which can't be detected easily - could you remove all the pipes and take them out of the garage and put them somewhere else (not in the house!), leaving just the bottles in there and see if the smell disappears and/or is still apparent where you've put the pipes?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back