Gas leak suddenly (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We are currently in Florence and a gas leak seems to have developed. I smelled it and hubby tried to say it was old food smell or the toilet (he has little sense of smell) then carbon monoxide alarm was bleeping on our return. We switched it all off then when we tried again it was smelling all round the cylinders
( since- we've been sleeping in minus four temps which shows it can be done No hook up right now)
We wondered as the Van got cold the last six days if the screws worked loose that could be tightened? (We are camped outside an Airbnb House, my family is renting)
Any advice much appreciated as ever.
Has anyone any bright ideas we could try before looking for a probably pricey gas repaired or Hymer dealer in Italy.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Happy New year to you on your travels , we had the smell when we changed to a new cylinder once ,checked again and adjusted all was okay.
Hope you get it sorted ASAP.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I suspect the cold has loosened one of the gas fittings - I would check the pipework/joints. :xThumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 30, 2010
Reading
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Returned 2010
JS
If you are unable to hear the leak to detect it, get a small amount of washing up liquid in a cup & make a solution of this with water, if you have a small brush - pastry one would be fine - then go around the gas pipework/regulator & paint the solution on. If there is a loose connection the solution will bubble where the leak is. Tighten up & then re-test that connection. Wash off the solution after the testing is complete.
LPG is heavier than air so make sure you have good ventilation whilst yo are doing all this & no naked flame nearby.

Arthur.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Washuing up liquid & small amount of water .mix it up , turn on gas & go around all & every joint with the soapy bubbles. Put plenty on-

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Good luck in finding your troubles. shows the importance of having C.M meter on board.

Les

Apr 18, 2008
Seaford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
Also check hoses I had one split once,just smelt it near locker it was on a bend

Deleted User
I didn't know that a carbon monoxide alarm would detect a gas leak. Is it a dual sensor type, ie CO and Gas monitor.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Use the washing up liquid on EVERY hose and joint, including any on the cylinder itself. Not sure if you have a refillable LPG system if so check every joint and valve on those cylinders in any case, including those on the filler hose and inlet.

Last edited:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you can smell gas, avoid naked flames or flicking switches. Breathing it will not be harmful, though.
I'd start around the gas bottle because that's where the leak is most likely to be, then work methodically along the pipes with soapy water until you find a leak. Don't touch/tighten any joints that don't leak. Once you have found it I'd assume there are no more but check to see that the odour does not return.

Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
We had a regulator fail that caused that. No warning, I stuck a new one on which solved the problem.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I once had the brass mount for a Gaslow gauge split inside the gas locker during cold weather, although it was extreme cold around -16C. Made me realise what the vent in the locker was for.

Take great care with whatever you do. A starting point might be to turn off your gas at the cylinder to see if the smell goes away, then at least you'll know if it's the piping that's the problem.

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
We were staying in Florence a few weeks ago, and during one of our bimbles in search of alcohol, we saw a Motorhome Dealership very close to the centre.

It was at Via di Rocca Tredalda junction with Via Aretina.

Kev

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Great advice thank you everyone.
Great to have the address Kev. Was it a Hymer dealership did you notice?

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
It had all sorts in there, sorry, didn't really notice.
If all else fails, they might be able to point you in the right direction. Gas is Gas.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Good luck in finding your troubles. shows the importance of having C.M meter on board.
A gas detector would be better, as the CO detector might not react to propane. The pigtail leads are the most likely leakers.
OR IT MIGHT BE LOCALS trying to render you unconscious .

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
@Borderland I thought the CM was a byproduct of the gas leak?
No. If a CO alarm goes off, you need to understand why. CO is an odourless, silent killer. Open the windows and let fresh air in.
Propane cannot harm you unless it explodes.

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
Carbon monoxide (CO) is produced when gas, or other carbon based things, burn with insufficient oxygen to fully oxidise (when there's enough oxygen carbon dioxide is produced instead). A CO monitor might be triggered by other things but if it's going off you need to ventilate the van and find the source asap.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks.
Confusing to an amateur and worrying indeed. Think we'll be visiting that dealership in Florence but we'll give the fairy liquid test a whirl too. Cheers

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Good luck.

I expect that it will be a relatively cheap and easy fix once found.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I smelled it and hubby tried to say it was old food smell or the toilet (he has little sense of smell) then carbon monoxide alarm was bleeping on our return. We switched it all off then when we tried again it was smelling all round the cylinders
I assume you checked whether hubby's seal was intact or not?:xrofl::xrofl:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
How old are the Hose`s? They have a life span, Usually marked on the hose itself. They deteriorate and crack (cold weather does not help!). Also there was an issue a few years back with Regulators being corrupted by the failure of Hose due to a reaction with gas. The hose composition was changed but some may have slipped through the net?.

Edit. Checking the system using a soap solution is advised, as others have posted.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
not certain lpg would trigger a standard carbon monoxide meter (LPG sinks down in air). are you certain it is LPG you can smell? A failing battery being cooked by a charger will release various gasses including sulphur dioxide (smells of bad eggs) and hydrogen, which is explosive, and WILL set off a carbon monoxide meter

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Think we'll be visiting that dealership in Florence but we'll give the fairy liquid test a whirl too. Cheers
I wouldn't be driving it anywhere if it is a gas leak until I found it or all the gas was vented. You also need to be aware that just because you have isolated the stuff in the van there is still the possibility of people outside the van accidentally creating a spark/discarding a fag, etc.
I'd also look at the batteries as @TheBig1 suggested.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
not certain lpg would trigger a standard carbon monoxide meter (LPG sinks down in air). are you certain it is LPG you can smell? A failing battery being cooked by a charger will release various gasses including sulphur dioxide (smells of bad eggs) and hydrogen, which is explosive, and WILL set off a carbon monoxide meter
Agree LPG won't shouldn't trigger a CO alarm but duff battery gassing off would.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
A Failing Frig; Will also engender a "Rotten Egg" type Smell, When the Evaporator leaks the gasses?. The Evap Coils sometimes "pinhole" and take weeks to finally stop working. Happened to our first R-V, New Unit was Half the price of a New Frig!.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If the OP is still with us, suggest you compare the smell of Propane with what you have got. You may have jumped to conclusions.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Well the fairy liquid trick worked a treat and we tightened the offending screw. Thanks everyone.
I'm hoping the CM issue was the fridge failing to close. all night long

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Any advice what we should do next ('re the CM issue) if we have indeed fixed the gas.
Should we try the fridge in the day time only to see if it triggers the CM detector?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back