Feb 16, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Novice
Hi all,
hope everyone is grand and enjoying the summer.

I have a novice question and just wanted to pick your brains. So we've been away on our jollies and we'd been parked in the same spot for 6 days when I noticed a smell of gas. I noticed it after I had been cooking (but that could just be a coincidence?) the smell was coming from the kitchen area and seemed stronger near the hob or even under the cupboards under the sink. We switched everything off and as we were coming home the next day thought we could sort it then, we knew the gas could be running out too. When we got home last night (it was late and we were feeling lazy) we put the gas fridge on so we didn't have to unpack it but when we went to look this morning the gas had actually run out. We could smell the gas again too. So there's the scenario... Now for my silly question...could it be something to do with a bottle running out that causes the smell of gas or am I being super daft....or should I get my washing up liquid and paint brush out (as I've seen advised on forums for similar problems). Any advice would be greatly appreciated, cheers Helen

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I would refill a bottle and then do the checks but turn everything off that runs on gas then check each one as you turn it on also make sure there are no leaks around the gas bottles first.
Also check any joints on the pipe runs and around the individual gas valves that turn off cooker fridge boiler etc.

Last edited:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
As Speve says, then get a qualified gas engineer to check it out.
Gas is not something to mess about with.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
My wife claims that she can smell gas just before the bottle proves to be empty. I have no idea why this should be the case other than feminine logic.

But if you are at all worried get it checked by someone who knows what he/she is doing.

OP
OP
3874helen

3874helen

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Novice
Cheers lovelies,
Ok will get the gas refilled today and keep everything switched off and try a process of elimination. We did run the bottle until the very very end (my husband being a very Yorkshire Yorkshire man hehe).
Maybe it's our 6th sense, i'm pregnant too so maybe my senses are heightened haha. Will let you know what happens cheers again Helen

OP
OP
3874helen

3874helen

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Novice
Aww thanks @pappajohn that made me chuckle, I'll not be the youngest Mum in the playground at 37 but we're sure looking forward to finding ways to fitting a baby and travel cot into our Hymer B544 and having lots of fun, so if anybody has any suggestions haha. Hx

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I have a gas tank with a meter showing how much is in but I never have to look at it. Soon as I turn off the cooker and can smell gas I know the tank is running low. It used to happen when I had a Gaslow system too.

I bet you one million pounds that as soon as you fill up the smell will be gone.

Although…… once in France when I was with my husband and we used to have a liking for strong French cheese, for a few days we kept smelling gas and just assumed it was the cheese from the fridge. (If you're a cheese lover you'll soon get used to that moment when you open the fridge and get 'the whiff')

Anyway - it wasn't until I went under the seat to get something and the smell under there was not cheese but gas. One of our 30 year old pipes had a tiny hole in it. Straight to Narbonne Accessories where they sorted it in a couple of hours.

So I now drop my wager to five hundred thousand pounds! - just in case. :)

Good luck in your new adventure.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have a gas tank with a meter showing how much is in but I never have to look at it. Soon as I turn off the cooker and can smell gas I know the tank is running low. It used to happen when I had a Gaslow system too.

I bet you one million pounds that as soon as you fill up the smell will be gone.

Although…… once in France when I was with my husband and we used to have a liking for strong French cheese, for a few days we kept smelling gas and just assumed it was the cheese from the fridge. (If you're a cheese lover you'll soon get used to that moment when you open the fridge and get 'the whiff')

Anyway - it wasn't until I went under the seat to get something and the smell under there was not cheese but gas. One of our 30 year old pipes had a tiny hole in it. Straight to Narbonne Accessories where they sorted it in a couple of hours.

So I now drop my wager to five hundred thousand pounds! - just in case. :)

Good luck in your new adventure.
Agree with that. Bottles seem to vaporise & burn the remnants in the bottle differently to the rest of the liquid. I've noticed it most with a gas torch (which burns gas a lot more quickly then any caravan appliance). It can smell of cabbage and, towards the end, of burning rubber. The flame is rubbish too. I believe it's because the heavier, more difficult to vaporise, 'low ends' are being burned.

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
Same with us, strong gas smell from hob then gas runs out. Start new cylinder, no smell. It is probably a residue from the bottom of the cylinder. Not sure about calor propane but I think that natural gas has a scent added in order for users to be able to detect a gas leak.

OP
OP
3874helen

3874helen

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Novice
Aww I hope you're all right, that would be great, going to get a new bottle tomorrow, didn't have chance this aft, so fingers crossed! We already had two roof light vent plastic handles randomly crack where the springs are whilst we were away (they must have got brittle with age) which by the looks of things isn't going to be cheap. So fingers crossed the new bottle will solve the gas issue. Cheers again H

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Oh you philistine - fridges may be used for many things but never cheese (except cheddar of course, that doesn't matter).
I'm obviously a philistine too. Do you not put cheese in the fridge? The cheeses I've seen here and abroad are always in a chiller.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
buy chedder in the tightest plastic cryovac packs you can . just keep it in a cool place . always take loads when going away . even bring some back after a 6 months trip.
bacon as well tightly packed keep months even in only a cool place .
thats what bacon is all about its how they kept meat years ago on ships etc . cant beat having loads of bacon when in moroccpo etc . the locals love it . special treat .

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
buy chedder in the tightest plastic cryovac packs you can . just keep it in a cool place . always take loads when going away . even bring some back after a 6 months trip.
bacon as well tightly packed keep months even in only a cool place .
thats what bacon is all about its how they kept meat years ago on ships etc . cant beat having loads of bacon when in moroccpo etc . the locals love it . special treat .
That's fair comment but @Lot lover said didn't matter about Cheddar in the fridge . I wouldn't take British Cheese to France as I want local use (which is basically saying when in France etc)
I was wondering if the stronger type cheese is better not in fridge particularly in hotter climes. The only cool place we had on our last break was the fridge.
I take little supplies from the UK and would rather prefer to buy when I'm there.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
That's fair comment but @Lot lover said didn't matter about Cheddar in the fridge . I wouldn't take British Cheese to France as I want local use (which is basically saying when in France etc)
I was wondering if the stronger type cheese is better not in fridge particularly in hotter climes. The only cool place we had on our last break was the fridge.
I take little supplies from the UK and would rather prefer to buy when I'm there.
wheel arch cupboards are usually cool enough.
i find i have had enough foreign food so just take uk . plus very often uk food is cheaper than food abroad . never used to be . but even rice etc far cheaper in uk than eu.
i dont mind buying their beer ,wine etc . but only coz its cheap.
decided a few years ago best not spend much in eu . if its cheaper in uk take it . but bring back things that are better priced there .
its only a game . shant get erich either way. might save 30 quid by taking 200 quids worth of tinned /dried food . but dont save it . turn it into 60 quids worth of uk priced beer at 30quid . so some beer is free.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
wheel arch cupboards are usually cool enough.
i find i have had enough foreign food so just take uk . plus very often uk food is cheaper than food abroad . never used to be . but even rice etc far cheaper in uk than eu.
i dont mind buying their beer ,wine etc . but only coz its cheap.
decided a few years ago best not spend much in eu . if its cheaper in uk take it . but bring back things that are better priced there .
its only a game . shant get erich either way. might save 30 quid by taking 200 quids worth of tinned /dried food . but dont save it . turn it into 60 quids worth of uk priced beer at 30quid . so some beer is free.
Thanks for the reply @vwalan but we also don't have wheel arch cupboards.
I was hoping there was a reason behind not putting cheese into a fridge as @Lot lover said.
The thing is, we do like cooked Camembert and blue cheeses (which are cheaper there) but find that particularly the Camembert does pong somewhat.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
LPG has no smell, so they put a stench in it to give it a smell. This can settle in the bottle and so it will smell much stronger when the bottle is about to run out

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Thanks for the reply @vwalan but we also don't have wheel arch cupboards.
I was hoping there was a reason behind not putting cheese into a fridge as @Lot lover said.
The thing is, we do like cooked Camembert and blue cheeses (which are cheaper there) but find that particularly the Camembert does pong somewhat.
many find the underfloor lockers are great for it . but not if they are heated .
i certainly know several hymer type campers that carry cheese bacon . gammon joints in the side lockers just make sure what ever side you use try and keep to the shade side . but then ususlly they are opposite the door . so most want door in the sun.
remember cheese bacon and many other foods only came about because there was no refrigeration years ago.
i find chedder is much more ideal when cooking . i use it in many dishes .
mind i do like some of the goat cheeses in morocco much nicer than other countries .
i cant have blue cheese i,m alergic to it .

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
LPG has no smell, so they put a stench in it to give it a smell. This can settle in the bottle and so it will smell much stronger when the bottle is about to run out

This suggests that the smell is heavier than the gas. Does this mean that if left unused for a long period all the smell would sink to the bottom of the bottle leaving an odourless gas at the top? Perhaps bottles should carry a warning to shake well before using?

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We had a really bad smell in the van last week and we couldn't fathom it out, I though he had let loose again then we thought it was petrol fumes from a Genny as we were at the balloon fiesta so we were on gas, then we knew it was a gas smell and then a few hours later the fridge light was flickering so we knew it was the gas.
We changed the bottle over to the other one and the smell went and the fridge had to be switched on again.

OP
OP
3874helen

3874helen

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Novice
Hey all, just to update you (we finally got a new gas bottle, I went to buy one on my own and then had second thoughts about lugging it into place on my own (pregnancy is a great excuse eh haha). So the problem is fixed, phew, thank goodness for that. At least all of you kind folk put my mind at rest in the meantime....and now I know.....I shouldn't be storing my cheese in the fridge...who'd have thought it haha. Cheers @Lenny HB I will invest in one of these! All the best all, now she's just got to pass the damp test this week, fingers and eyes crossed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back