Gas it bottle leak (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I'm touring France and have just noticed one offer my gasit bottles is slowly emptying. It's turned off and was full 2 weeks ago. I've checked the connections with leak spray and there's no smell. I'm baffled as this has never happened before. Has anyone experience such a strange happening.

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
How do you know it's emptying? The bottle pressure will vary with temperature.
Thanks Richard. I have a gauge on each bottle showing the levels. The bottle in use is steadily decreasing with use but the suspect bottle is down to less than half. Tapping the bottle also confirms it's low. I am totally baffled. The loss has been over a 2 week period but I cannot find a leak.
Wilf

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If it's turned off it can really only be where the fittings screw into the bottle.
1/2 tank in two weeks may be too slow a leak to show easily.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
So about 4kg in 2 weeks? If that was a refrigerant gas leak it would be easily detectable with suds, and LPG will be no different. Are the bottles rusty?

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
If it's turned off it can really only be where the fittings screw into the bottle.
1/2 tank in two weeks may be too slow a leak to show easily.
Many thanks. Due to the rather cramped area in the locker I've removed the suspect bottle for access. I managed to turn a coupling nut about 1mm. I'll keep observing it and hopefully that may be the cause.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
So about 4kg in 2 weeks? If that was a refrigerant gas leak it would be easily detectable with suds, and LPG will be no different. Are the bottles rusty?
The bottles are Gas it and 4 years old. No rust and pressure checked in may. Bottle isn't connected to the supply so nothing in use from it. After advice from Papa John I've removed the bottle and managed a 1mm turn on a coupling. Maybe this could have been the cause but am doubtful.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back