Gas in Spain (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am heading down to Spain (Zahora) on the 1st November. My plan was to get a Gaslow system installed. However I am running short of time and finances are not going to plan :Doh: again. I may have to miss out on the Gaslow system.

What are my options for Gas in Spain? I have heard that you need a Spanish address to get get a Spanish bottle. This can be organised as I have a friend who lives not too far away but it would be better if I could avoid it....

Thanks

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Its not compulsory to have a Spanish address, The campsite your staying on should be sufficient to get a Spanish bottle. Gaslow is not a great deal of use in Spain as there are very few LPG stations. A Spanish bottle is the best option.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Go to one of the flea-market type car boot sales and you will pick up an empty Propane bottle for about 5 - 8 euros and then buy a bit of gas pipe and a regulator from a ferretereer.. (Dont think that is spelt right) DIY shop.. :thumb:

And you will be able to swop the empty for a full one at most ferretereers or petrol stations.. :thumb:

Then leave it with Penelopepitstop when you leave and I will buy it when we come down:winky::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Go to one of the flea-market type car boot sales and you will pick up an empty Propane bottle for about 5 - 8 euros and then buy a bit of gas pipe and a regulator from a ferretereer.. (Dont think that is spelt right) DIY shop.. :thumb:

And you will be able to swop the empty for a full one at most ferretereers or petrol stations.. :thumb:

Then leave it with Penelopepitstop when you leave and I will buy it when we come down:winky::thumb:

useful info.thanks

I have a Truma bulkhead Regulator screwed to a copper 8mm pipe.
Would a different "Pig tail" ( linking regulator to the bottle ) also work with my existing regulator.

barry

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
useful info.thanks

Would a different "Pig tail" ( linking regulator to the bottle ) also work with my existing regulator.

barry

In a word "No".. you would be trying to get the gas through two (2) regulators and that will not work...

The first regulator would restrict the gas to the second and not open the valve or what ever is in a regulator..

I may be wrong but I dont think I am.. :RollEyes:

That`s if I have your question right..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
useful info.thanks

barry

yes , provided you buy a bottle connector that isn't a regulator .. it's a clip on connector , looks like a regulator but isn't...... they are available in Spanish hardware shops ..

as already mentioned, I got an empty bottle from the campsite and exchanged at the local petrol station

failing that you would need to use a bottle regulator and bypass the bulkhead one.. a BBQ point can be used ..

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
yes , provided you buy a bottle connector that isn't a regulator .. it's a clip on connector , looks like a regulator but isn't...... they are available in Spanish hardware shops ..

as already mentioned, I got an empty bottle from the campsite and exchanged at the local petrol station

failing that you would need to use a bottle regulator and bypass the bulkhead one.. a BBQ point can be used ..

Ah... yes I forgot that aspect of doing it Jim.. thanks.. :thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
check out below for a adaptors/pigtails, we have the adaptor for the french bottle 'le cube' and the spanish bottle

Link Removed

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Been using Gaslow for our winters away for the past 6 years. We have always found somewhere to fill up.

There have always been places to refill your Gaslow in France so do it before you leave.

If going to Zahora there is one at Jerez which is only an hours drive.

If coming down the coast via Barcelona there is a service area on the AP7, and a Repsol depot at Elche near Alicante.

Look in maps on HERE there is one showing Autogas stations.

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Maurice,
Reminds me of a certain person trying to do this at Majal a few years ago, he was also trying to connect a regulator to another regulator that he didn't realise he had, you know, the one that you had in your hand.
JK

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
We filled our gaslow bottles before we left UK last year, when we got to Zahora we used mainly electric while on campsite, an electric ring is built in on our cooker, we bought chip fryer, so everyone could have decent chips (mainly Bryan), we hardly used any gas and came back with a whole bottle full, and that was after 13 weeks.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
that's the one I mentioned .. Gaslow Jumbo Adaptor :thumb:

Jim

just being thick here.......so this would fit ( screw ?) onto the spanish gas cylinder... the red top being the tap ? and the brass outlet is the same thread for a uk type pigtail ?

thanks

barry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim

just being thick here.......so this would fit ( screw ?) onto the spanish gas cylinder... the red top being the tap ? and the brass outlet is the same thread for a uk type pigtail ?

thanks

barry

yes, it's a clip on valve ,

you would need a pigtail to match .. ie , one with the standard butane thread to fit the valve, and the other end to fit your regulator .

give Gaslow a call, they will advise which pig tail you need

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Its not compulsory to have a Spanish address, The campsite your staying on should be sufficient to get a Spanish bottle. Gaslow is not a great deal of use in Spain as there are very few LPG stations. A Spanish bottle is the best option.

74 at the last count :Smile: See my map here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ms...ll=39.859155,-3.032227&spn=8.700665,14.128418

I would think unless you intend to stay in one place for a long period, you will come across one of these stations in your travels without going out of your way.

Ian

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Maurice,
Reminds me of a certain person trying to do this at Majal a few years ago, he was also trying to connect a regulator to another regulator that he didn't realise he had, you know, the one that you had in your hand.
JK

Thanks for reminding every body "John".... :Tongue1::winky:

That is why I wrote what I did... I thought that is what they wanted to do.. :Blush:

I`m a quick learner..

PS where you going this winter? be good to meet up.. :thumb:

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Thanks for reminding every body "John".... :Tongue1::winky:

That is why I wrote what I did... I thought that is what they wanted to do.. :Blush:

I`m a quick learner..

PS where you going this winter? be good to meet up.. :thumb:
Hi OM
Due to lots of weddings, birthdays, Christmas New Year etc. and getting the house ready to sell/rent, will not get away until Feb/March, not looking forward to our first winter in the UK for 3 years.:cry:
JK

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Hi OM
Due to lots of weddings, birthdays, Christmas New Year etc. and getting the house ready to sell/rent, will not get away until Feb/March, not looking forward to our first winter in the UK for 3 years.:cry:
JK

We are off towards the middle Nov... not sure where .. having a spell at Zahora and ending up before we come back at the funsters do at the new Marjal..::bigsmile:

Love to Trish..

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for all the responses ::bigsmile: Still not quite 100%.

check out below for a adaptors/pigtails, we have the adaptor for the french bottle 'le cube' and the spanish bottle

Link Removed

So I would need one of these
Link Removed
and one of these?
Link Removed

I currently have a propane regulator that fits directly to the bottle. But I have a bulkhead mounted 30mb regulator to fit once I have the gaslow system.
Could I fit the regulator now and use the above with a spanish bottle (propane)?

Thanks

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
74 at the last count :Smile: See my map here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ms...ll=39.859155,-3.032227&spn=8.700665,14.128418

I would think unless you intend to stay in one place for a long period, you will come across one of these stations in your travels without going out of your way.

Ian

Hi Olley, I didnt know there were so many now. Is this up to date. I know many closed down a few years ago and didnt realise they had started to open them up again. Thanks for that though.:thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I have a bulkhead regulator and yes i use the pigtails and adaptors, we have a gaslow one that fits the BP gaslite bottle which are 10kgs and an adaptor that fits our propane and the french le cube and a couple of other types of bottles and the big one that fits the spanish bottles,

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi gpl stations at petrol pmps are being fitted in stations all the time .but its far cheaper to use a spanish bottle . just catch the trucks running around with the gas bottles . 10euro normally for a bottle 13 about for gas.
best place for regs .adaptors or pigtails is BES they have a new cat. just out. usually far cheaper than anyone else.
ring them they are very helpfull.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Olley, I didnt know there were so many now. Is this up to date. I know many closed down a few years ago and didnt realise they had started to open them up again. Thanks for that though.:thumb:

Its as update as I can make it, while repsol advertise new stations they don't mention any that have closed. But if you look most of the older ones are on Google "street view" so I guess were in business around 2-3 years ago.

Ian

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

As an aside - MotoGP testing at Jerez is 19th to 25th March 2012, this will alter our plans for Marjal. To see the last test of the 1000s is excellent but also the first ever new 250 class - awesome. Jerez has to be one of the greatest spectator circuits on the planet.

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
I am heading down to Spain (Zahora) on the 1st November. My plan was to get a Gaslow system installed. However I am running short of time and finances are not going to plan :Doh: again. I may have to miss out on the Gaslow system.

What are my options for Gas in Spain? I have heard that you need a Spanish address to get get a Spanish bottle. This can be organised as I have a friend who lives not too far away but it would be better if I could avoid it....

Thanks

Hi. We set off to Spain at the end of November last year in the same situation.

Initially encounted problems at camp site. Apparently due to the economic climate the gas companies had tightened up on supply of gas bottles. The official route was to visit a gas company (repsol or cespa) office to register and pay fee of about 30 euros. This would require a compliance certificate issued by a Spanish engineer for about 70 to 100 euros. This would only be done if the unit is fitted out to Spanish protocols (very unlikely with a British unit). That was with a caravan but the issues seem the same.

I subsequently went to a rastra (carboot) sale where I bought an empty bottle for 10 euros. I then went to the site and exchanged it for a full one much cheaper than in the UK. The camp shop as well as iron monger type shops sell conectors or connector/regulators for about 12 or 15 euros.

In June this year we returned to UK to change to a motorhome. This time I fitted an Autogas 2000 gas bottle. They are near Thirsk in North Yorkshire (01845 523213). I put the external filler point on the opposite side to the diesel fill point. I have filled up at attended stations in europe without problem I have heard from others who have to open the gas locker to connect that attendants have refused to fill.

Hope this helps

Good luck on your travels

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We have a gas tank but it was a very long way to fill up and the fuel and tolls doubled the price of the autogas.

We got two CESPA lightweight aluminium bottles from a junk shop in Cartegena last winter. They were 20 euro each.

We fed the gas in through the barbeque point from a 28mbar Spanish regulator after turning the tank off. Our normal set up is 50mbar. There was no difference in the use of any of our appliances with the different pressures.

Gas in Spain is mainly Butano (Butane) They tend to only supply Propane to commercial outlets not domestic we were told.

We were quoted between 160 and 200 euro for an inspection and certificate. The site would not supply empty bottles, they said it was now against the law. The local van would not supply unless you had an empty.
Es no possible! was all we could get out of him. We got our refills from a local garage the last price we paid was 15 euro for a 12.5kg bottle

Just as we left a new gas station on the N332 at Molino Marfagonés south of Cartegena opened. The other nearest stations were Repsol depots in Alicanti (Elche) and Murcia.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Can i ask a question here instead of starting another thread? I want a fillable system, ive seen the gaslow set up, but can i just buy refillable bottles and a connector, which i can hard fit to the outside of the MH?

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Can i ask a question here instead of starting another thread? I want a fillable system, ive seen the gaslow set up, but can i just buy refillable bottles and a connector, which i can hard fit to the outside of the MH?

hi, got ours from here: Link Removed

We had Gaslow for over 2 years and changed to Alugas because they are half the weight of steel bottles. ::bigsmile: Very easy to fit, the worst job is making the big hole for the external filler, but having done it twice now its not so bad.:Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back