Free Member
Mar 13, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
unfortunately I didn't have time to fully research the gas options before leaving the UK for our EU tour... now I'm wishing I'd had refillable system installed! :Doh:

Left London with a 12kg and 6kg Calor, knowing that we probably wouldn't be able to find anywhere that would refill them on the continent... Crossed fingers that we'd be able to buy a gas bottle whenever they both ran out, and the time is almost come...

Currently in Florence, Italy, and I thought it would be reasonably easy to get a bottle of propane. Apparently not! Have tried a few service stations, they all seem to be replacement only ie. i need to already have an empty local bottle.

Also tried OBI here in Florence, they only had Campingaz and had conveniently run out, but could go past another OBI, seems to be plenty of them on our route.

Any advice much appreciated - not sure which is the best way to go - either get Campingaz and a regulator (which OBI had), or try to find one of the elusive 'gas agents' that I can buy a bottle with deposit that I can swap when needed... I have had no luck finding a gas agent though, how can I find one?

Only going to be in Italy for another couple of weeks though, and then Portugal-Spain-France for 4-6 weeks...

OP
OP
streetdaddy

streetdaddy

Free Member
Mar 13, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
I ended up going for Campingaz...

Wasn't as cheap an entry-point as I'd hoped, but after checking their website . it seemed a good choice since they seem to have a convenient smattering of swap points throughout the countries I'm going to be travelling to...

For anyone interested, I bought an R 907 bottle (the biggest available, but only 2.75kg) for 76 euros and will be approx 20 euros each swap. 9 euros for the regulator... From what I can tell that's quite expensive, but unfortunately I was between a rock and hard gas-less place... :cry:

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
I have heard on this forum that you can buy local bottles at car boot sales or equivalent and then exchange for full ones . only got to buy equivalent regulator

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back