Free Member
Nov 29, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
First European tour and naively thought gas bottles would all have the same connection. Having run out in Switzerland it turns out every country has a different system! So, being close to France and knowing we'll travel back via Calais we figure the French system is the way to go. However, having tried both a hypermarket and diy store we've been told twice that we can't just swap the connector pipe (pigtail) from the regulator. But this would seem the logical way.
Anyone else had this problem?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Anyone else had this problem?

We all have this problem. Some choose the Gaslow route.

Long termers sometimes backfeed a local cyclinder+regulator into their BBQ connector.

I can't see why, if you have a regulator screwed to a Brit bottle then flex pipe, you can't connect that pipe to a local bottle plus regulator.

I believe in Spain they can't sell you a tank with a gas certificate for the MH.

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
However, having tried both a hypermarket and diy store we've been told twice that we can't just swap the connector pipe (pigtail) from the regulator.
Don't see why not.

If your van has a bulkhead mounted regulator then you just need the correct pigtail to connect between the regulator and the bottle. I think most European pigtails have a 21.8mm nut (stand to be corrected) on the bottle end and this may connect direct to the bottle or require an adaptor to connect between the end of the hose and the bottle.

I have a Gasit re-fillable system but used to carry a variety of adaptors for the purpose and have certainly used French gas bottles via this method, specifically Antargaz bottles with a clip-on adaptor to connect to the 21.8mm nut on the pig tail.

Deposit on French bottles is also far less than rip-off Britain Calor bottles.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Would Camping Gaz be a temporary solution? Bottles available everywhere in Europe, although smaller obviously.

Adapter looks like this.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Long term, the answer has to be a re-fillable system like Gaslow or Alugas, since no European country can agree on a common bottle. I know this is nuts but that's how it is. If you look at the classified section there is usually someone selling re-fillable kits at a reasonable price. This type of gas is soooo much cheaper once fitted (a DIY job for most people with care).

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
You've had a PM (Conversation) since yesterday. Top right hand corner. Click on it.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Don't see why not.

If your van has a bulkhead mounted regulator then you just need the correct pigtail to connect between the regulator and the bottle. I think most European pigtails have a 21.8mm nut (stand to be corrected) on the bottle end and this may connect direct to the bottle or require an adaptor to connect between the end of the hose and the bottle.

I have a Gasit re-fillable system but used to carry a variety of adaptors for the purpose and have certainly used French gas bottles via this method, specifically Antargaz bottles with a clip-on adaptor to connect to the 21.8mm nut on the pig tail.

Deposit on French bottles is also far less than rip-off Britain Calor bottles.

Mike
Most of the pigtails I've seen in France have the 20W nut (the one that fits on the built in Reg) on both ends. The OP needs one of those and and then an "adaptateur" so that he can attach that to his bottle of choice, which many have, as you have said, got a LH 21.8mm male threaded exit point.
I sent the OP a PM yesterday but as of yet, he/she hasn't replied. The suspense is killing me.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have seen it mentioned that 1 French bottle has the same fitting as a UK propane..
So if you have a propane Pigtail or could buy one maybe thats an answer.
Something called the "cube" has been mentioned a lot..

Maybe someone with a bit of knowledge could do an article on the options while in France and WITHOUT going on about re-fillables :) Personally I dont use that much gas to justify the outlay and dont mind lifting bottles.. So for those in a similar position some info on how and which bottles can be used would help (y)

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I occasionally mention this in reply to those crossing for the first time. It's something you don't tend to think about till you need gas. Now we replace our Calor bottles for French bottles each time we cross. We have two French bottles - one is 'le cube' (available almost everywhere). It needs it's own adaptor (easily obtainable at Brico/DIY stores) and one is a 10kg bottle for which I got an adaptor from Bullfinch gas :-

http://bullfinch-gas.co.uk/hose-and-fittings/general-fittings/gas-bottle-adaptor-detail

It lets you connect to your Calor pigtail.

Wyn

Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
We don't use refillables, I have 2 x 13kg French bottles in the van which have been ample for us even over winter as they are easily replaceable. I'm not sure if I understand the OP, you can buy a French regulator and fit it to your existing gas hose. Then use Butagas.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We don't use refillables, I have 2 x 13kg French bottles in the van which have been ample for us even over winter as they are easily replaceable. I'm not sure if I understand the OP, you can buy a French regulator and fit it to your existing gas hose. Then use Butagas.

He can't buy a Reg, cos he already has a built in Reg,(I've had a chat on 'Conversations') I've sent him off for a french pigtail, an 'Adapteur' with a 21.8LH POL end and a french bottle of choice from whichever supermarche he comes across.
Watch this space.

Deleted User
He can't buy a Reg, cos he already has a built in Reg,(I've had a chat on 'Conversations') I've sent him off for a french pigtail, an 'Adapteur' with a 21.8LH POL end and a french bottle of choice from whichever supermarche he comes across.
Watch this space.

Should not need any 'adapteur' if he gets a French pigtail, it will connect directly to French bottles with the threaded connector, some 'le cube' bottles have different connectors.

I bought a 9kg propane from Intermarche for €18.90 plus €1 deposit and a pigtail from the nearby Bricomarche.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
My solution .
The far bottle French and free from SuperU supermarket the near one is UK Calor.
I bought the regulator and fitting in French DIY shops.
The wall mounted regulator came with the van.

DSC02000.JPG

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Should not need any 'adapteur' if he gets a French pigtail, it will connect directly to French bottles with the threaded connector, some 'le cube' bottles have different connectors.

I bought a 9kg propane from Intermarche for €18.90 plus €1 deposit and a pigtail from the nearby Bricomarche.

Hi, I've not seen a french pigtail with a W20 nut on one end and a 21.8m LH on the other. Do they exist? I've only ever seen them with a W20 on both ends.

Deleted User
Hi, I've not seen a french pigtail with a W20 nut on one end and a 21.8m LH on the other. Do they exist? I've only ever seen them with a W20 on both ends.

If W20 is the thread on the bulkhead regulator and 21.8mm LH is the same as Calor butane and Spanish adaptors then yes.

I bought 2 a few years ago from Leroy Merlin for our static van and I bought one last week in Bricomarche though I needn't have bothered it is exactly the same as the Spanish pigtail that I already had.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
If W20 is the thread on the bulkhead regulator and 21.8mm LH is the same as Calor butane and Spanish adaptors then yes.

I bought 2 a few years ago from Leroy Merlin for our static van and I bought one last week in Bricomarche though I needn't have bothered it is exactly the same as the Spanish pigtail that I already had.

I stand corrected and thank you but I only spoke as I saw as I've never seen one.

Deleted User
I stand corrected and thank you but I only spoke as I saw as I've never seen one.

From what I remember the 2 that I bought a few years ago did take a bit of finding and some of the ones on offer where ridiculously expensive.

Last week I managed to ask, my French has improved so much! (it did help that the assistant spoke some English:)) and found them quite easily.

There are a large number of mobile homes in this area and that may have some influence on stocking them in the big DIY stores, others seem to have experienced the same difficulty.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Does this help? My reply to a similar question as yours

Jo Nixon said:
Hi, we're in France and only have half a calor gas bottle left (unfortunately I bought adapters for refillable tanks before we left - very new to motorhoming!)
I noticed you use Netto and Butagaz, we've had a look at these and they don't look like they would fit our 6kg calor pigtail. Do you have any more info or do you know where we could buy a different connector in France?

Thanks for your help
You have the hose I've maked Propane, you will need the hose I've marked 21.8LH thread.
This as I said fits the 4.5kg Calor AND the French bottles.
Deposit was €1. Note each hose has same fitting for your regulator (W20) (European standard) so it's the other end to suit the country of use.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back