Gas grill air vent problem (1 Viewer)

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Hi
Is there a cover available for the grill air vent as when its windy the grill wont light or stay lit. Very annoying and a plastic bag gaffer taped over it looks rather naff ::bigsmile:
Seem to remember seing some somewere

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Hi
Is there a cover available for the grill air vent as when its windy the grill wont light or stay lit. Very annoying and a plastic bag gaffer taped over it looks rather naff ::bigsmile:
Seem to remember seing some somewere
That is a very dangerous thing to do, you could die of Carbon Monoxide poisoning and its no surprise that the flame would not stay alight, you were strangeling it, you can buy vented covers from caravan outlets or why not just simply turn your van around out of the direct wind ??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
That is a very dangerous thing to do, you could die of Carbon Monoxide poisoning and its no surprise that the flame would not stay alight, you were strangeling it, you can buy vented covers from caravan outlets or why not just simply turn your van around out of the direct wind ??

Just to clarify.... the wind blows the grill flame out it doesnt go out when I cover the vent. I understand and appreciate your concern however in my opinion there is ample air available for combustion and for removal of noxious fumes without the need for the vent at the back of the grill. As for moving the van ....well thats not allways feasable and or I couldnt be bothered.
Regards - Ian

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just to clarify.... the wind blows the grill flame out it doesnt go out when I cover the vent. I understand and appreciate your concern however in my opinion there is ample air available for combustion and for removal of noxious fumes without the need for the vent at the back of the grill. As for moving the van ....well thats not allways feasable and or I couldnt be bothered.
Regards - Ian

completely baffled (pardon the pun::bigsmile:) by this.

my kontiki doesnt have an external vent for the grill of oven just like a household gas cooker doesnt.

really cant see the point when the grill door will be open in use and the hob burners dont have a vent ????

plus..it shows how much good it is if you can tape a PLASTIC bag over a flue vent without it melting.

Last edited:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Looking at the spec for your MH and some pics on the web (highbridge caravan site 2009 Chausson Flash 04 FROM £34482 New Motorhome - Highbridge Motorhome Dealers in Somerset, in the South West of England ) The only vent grills that appear to show are those for the fridge.

Although the spec says there is a cooker grill fitted there is no picture showing it. If it is next to the fridge I think that it is fitted on UK models as an after thought in place of the draw.

That being the case you could fit some fridge vent covers for the winter. But remember they would need to be removed in the summer or the efficiency of the fridge will be affected. Then the grill problem will reappear

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My MH has a ventilation grill for the oven/grill. It is the same size as the top and bottom fridge vents and the same winter cover fits both.

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Although the spec says there is a cooker grill fitted there is no picture showing it. If it is next to the fridge I think that it is fitted on UK models as an after thought in place of the draw.
That being the case you could fit some fridge vent covers for the winter. But remember they would need to be removed in the summer or the efficiency of the fridge will be affected. Then the grill problem will reappear

Your right it isnt showing on that pic although that is our model. Our grill vent is above the side / kitchen window.

I too cant see the point and its a real pain as wont sta lit with even the slightest breeze.
Thanks for the reply
Ian

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
My MH has a ventilation grill for the oven/grill. It is the same size as the top and bottom fridge vents and the same winter cover fits both.

Thank you I measured them last night and your right it is the same size as the dometic fridge vents slightly diferent design but same outer size. Will lookm into getting some covers for the fridge and an extra one for the grill and just mke it fit if it doesnt.
Thanks - Ian

Mick H

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Near Leicester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30 yrs
The vents on fridges are to provide a sealed path for air to enter at the bottom and exit at the top.
The fridge won't operate efficiently unless this path is provided. Winter covers don't stop the flow of air, they just restrict it for wintertime, when the fridge doesn't need to work so efficently.
A common fault with many installers is to NOT provide a sealed path, as per the fridge manufactures spec. That could be why the fridge, in this case, still works when the vent is completely covered. It is probably getting it's supply of air from inside the motorhome.
Since the fridge might be on permanently, whilst you are camping, this could result in a very dangerous situation indeed.

Mick H.

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Thank you for your reply however we are talking about grill vent not fridge vents.
Regards - ips

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back