Gas going thro the eurotunnel (1 Viewer)

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi this Mel asking a question
There is a question I would like to ask other members about travelling on the Eurotunnel with the motorhome,
It states the rules are you must have no more than 47kg gas ( mine are two 13kg or two 11kg bottles not sure) but it states the bottles must NOT be more than 80% full on each bottle and you must demonstrate to the Eurotunnel staff before you travel the quantity of gas, don't forget mine are French gas bottles which have a external thread different to England gas bottles they have internal thread( not sure what thread size we have over here, is there two gauges that anybody knows of that are not to expensive to fit French bottles as they may only be used the one trip or English gauges with adaptors to a French bottles, or is there a easy method that people have already used when they have gone thro the tunnel, Please Help, please do mention the ferry as I get seasick very bad even with all the tablets on the market and bad for days after...even bad in the harbour in calm water!!!!! sorry we can not all be ADMIRAL NELSON.
Or can anybody give me any advise at all it would be of great help thank you Mel

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
In our experience they simply ask to look at the bottles and check outlet(s) is screwed closed or on another occasion just asked us whether we had closed them.

:Smile:
Keith

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
All the times we have traveled through the tunnel they have only checked to make sure they are turned off. If they are the normal exchangeable bottles they will only be filled to 80% at the most & re-fillable ones shut off at 80%. In reality it would be difficult to check if they were only filed to 80% without dis-connecting them & weighing the bottle.

We have always found the crossings with Eurotunnel to be very easy & quick.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

geofliz

Free Member
Feb 3, 2008
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
L P Coachbuilt
Exp
3 years. 29 as a tugger
We have never had a problem either. They just checked that the bottles were turned off and put a sticker in the windscreen saying that we were carrying gas. Much prefer the Tunnel to Ferries. :thumb:

hogan

Free Member
Aug 4, 2007
Valencia,Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
As all the other posters have said they will only make you demonstrate that the bottles are shut off.In the 15 odd times we have used the tunnel we have never had a problem.

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
on uk side you will have to open the gas locker door and show that the bottles are turned off.

the person doing the checking usually has very little knowledge of what he/she is looking at. they will ask you what size the bottles are so that they can tick the right boxes on the form in the office. in the event of an incident in the tunnel they then know how many gas bottles/tanks are on the train.

all vehicles with gas are put into a seperate lane and are the last to be allowed on to the train. sometimes each vehicle with gas is put in a 'compartment' on it's own. not sure if this is just someone doing the job properly or what.

on the french side they usually just look in the locker & count the bottles. either they know the size or maybe they just guess. sometimes they stay in their warm hut give a gallic shrug & ask how many bottles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
"Gas going thro the eurotunnel"

easy way to avoid this melvin......

lay off the beans and sprouts before you go.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

sorry....couldnt resist.:winky: