LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I have a Chausson 630 have just bought a mounting base and securing strap and fixed a 6kg bottle with the seal in for a spare. Drop vent isn’t required there are no regulations for private vehicles only commercial vehicles and I have seen them ie commercial vehicles plumbers no vents.
Doesn't mean that its good idea, even in 2016!

Boats don't have drop vents

Boats often explode LOL

For the sake of a small hole drilled in the floor and tuppence worth of plastic vent why take the risk

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I have a Chausson 630 have just bought a mounting base and securing strap and fixed a 6kg bottle with the seal in for a spare. Drop vent isn’t required there are no regulations for private vehicles only commercial vehicles and I have seen them ie commercial vehicles plumbers no vents.
Hi do you realist this thread is from 2016?

I think they have used the gas :giggler:

I love it when a thread is resurrected as this was before I joined makes great reading

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
1995 boat safety scheme for inland waterways required drop vents for gas cylinders.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Stupid dangerous attitude, just because Jo Blogs the builder does it it doesn't mean it's safe.
My not be a law against it but there are rules that require the gas locker to be sealed from the habitation area, garages are not sealed from the hab area so that effectively makes it illegal.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Stupid dangerous attitude, just because Jo Blogs the builder does it it doesn't mean it's safe.
My not be a law against it but there are rules that require the gas locker to be sealed from the habitation area, garages are not sealed from the hab area so that effectively makes it illegal.
Can you point me to the regulation that states I can't chew on a live wire? No? Must be OK then!

Jun 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Joined 2014
Thanks all for your replies. The van has electric, gas and diesel heating. 3 way fridge and gas for cooking. It is parking the van up when spending the day in towns and using gas for the fridge together with cooking that uses it up. The gas locker only accommodates a 6 kg bottle. I think I will just have to keep a careful eye on the cylinder and just carry a spare when low. As luck would have it, the unused 3.9 propane bottle I have from caravan days is too low to connect to the pigtail in the locker. Now to buy another calor lite. I suppose I could get a gas BBQ for the small cylinder but that would defeat the object of carrying a spare occasionally. Any buyers for unused 3.9 cylinder?
We have a Chausson 630 and carry a kg in garage drop vents not required if turned off and black seal us screwed in.

Jun 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Joined 2014
May not be a law against it but there are rules that require the gas locker to be sealed from the habitation area, garages are not sealed from the hab area so that effectively makes it illegal.
There are no regulations that cover it as it’s not in use or connected and sealed

Jun 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Joined 2014
Not sure which model you have. Mine's a Flash 610 fortunately with a large garage. We keep our spare bottle tucked away in a corner, well wedged in with all the usual paraphernalia, bikes, ramps etc etc. I reckon that as long as the valve is in the shut position it shouldn't be a problem. We are thinking of going to France/Italy this year but wonder what alternative there is for the gas, excluding the gas flow route...
Make sure the black plastic seal us screwed in

Jun 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Joined 2014
Doesn't mean that its good idea, even in 2016!

Boats don't have drop vents

Boats often explode LOL

For the sake of a small hole drilled in the floor and tuppence worth of plastic vent why take the risk
No risk

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Well I have carried a 6Kg cylinder in a locker for years for my BBQ's

Considering that many gas lockers are not properly sealed inside to outside, and some are internal on panel van conversions I wouldn't loose any sleep

The calor gas van that delivers the bottles to our campsite has loads in the back of his van as well lol
As Jim said, heater vents in the garage connect to hab area & no drop vents in the garage.
But if bottle is secure turned off and not connected I can't see a problem.I used to carry my spare Spanish bottle secured in the habitation area in my Excelsior some years ago.BUSBY.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
My point is that just because there is no regulation saying that you "can't do it" doesn't mean that it's safe or that it is OK in any situation

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Valves can & do leak, not worth the risk.
BS EN1949:2021

Just a small part of the non existent rules that apply to motorhomes and caravans

• Gas cylinders must be stored in a sealed compartment from the living space.
  • A maximum of 2 cylinders of not more than 11kg each.
  • The compartment must have a 50mm upstand at low level, so the door must not go to the floor. This is to ensure any leaked gas is contained.
  • The cylinder(s) must be upright and fixed inside the compartment at high and low levels using a cylinder base and/or straps.
  • All methods for securing the cylinders must be undoable without using a tool.
  • You must be able to replace the LPG cylinders without disturbing the LPG installation and equipment.
  • The cylinder position must not obscure the regulator, isolation valves or drop-out vents.
  • The cylinder must be a safe distance from the vehicle’s exhaust system. The exhaust system should be no closer than 250mm when viewed from above and at least 300mm from underneath (outside) the vehicle. Alternatively, you can use a thermal heat shield that is not smaller than 25mm and maintains the compartment ventilation. The exhaust can cause heat through the floor and into the cylinder, increasing the pressure inside.
  • Cables can be routed through the compartment, but there must be no exposed joints in the cable. Additionally, there must be no joins in conduit or trunking that route through the compartment.
  • Gas supply control can use ELV (extra low voltage) wiring only.
  • Any holes in the compartment, except for ventilation holes, must be sealed.
  • Cylinder compartments can be accessible from inside the living space as long as they are sealed when closed to ensure no gas can leak into the camper.
  • For low-level ventilation only – The free area must be equivalent to 2% of the floor area of the compartment. A typical 50mm drop-out vent will provide 800mm² of free area.
  • For high and low-level ventilation – The free area must be equivalent to 1% of the floor area of the compartment.
  • A cylinder less than 7kg can use a 20mm drop-out vent (internal access compartment only).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A maximum of 2 cylinders of not more than 11kg each.
That section seems a bit odd but it's a BS standard so probably aimed at caravans who normally use 6 or 7.5kg cylinders.

11 kg is not a common UK size most Motorhomes if using exchange cylinders use either 13kg propane or 15kg butane.
11kg is a continental size although I think Flogas may do one.

I have 2 x 14 kg Alugas.

Reactions: f6c
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
That section seems a bit odd but it's a BS standard so probably aimed at caravans who normally use 6 or 7.5kg cylinders.

11 kg is not a common UK size most Motorhomes if using exchange cylinders use either 13kg propane or 15kg butane.

I have 2 x 14 kg Alugas.
Gaslow we had 2x11kg

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
What if your involved in an accident do you have stickers on the garage to notify emergency services it's in there? I believe the stickers are a legal requirement when transporting gas canisters over a certain size.

It must be dangerous as on BBCs Casualty the other week they were blowing up all over the road 🤷‍♀️

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
What if your involved in an accident do you have stickers on the garage to notify emergency services it's in there? I believe the stickers are a legal requirement when transporting gas canisters over a certain size.

It must be dangerous as on BBCs Casualty the other week they were blowing up all over the road 🤷‍♀️
Actually the attending Fire Service crew to an incident involving a leisure vehicle, Caravan. Motorhome or Camper would be fully aware that items carried by such vehicles would present an explosive risk....and take all precautions necessary..

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Actually the attending Fire Service crew to an incident involving a leisure vehicle, Caravan. Motorhome or Camper would be fully aware that items carried by such vehicles would present an explosive risk....and take all precautions necessary..
Exactly... Once they gave dealt with the obvious ones in the dedicated lockers..
However will they know about the one hidden in the garage?

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Exactly... Once they gave dealt with the obvious ones in the dedicated lockers..
However will they know about the one hidden in the garage?
If I was the attending Officer in charge, as I was for 30 years, I would treat with caution all parts of the vehicle...and would expect other hazardous materials to be carried... Smaller cylinders for BBQ.... household items, some cleaning materials...compressed cylinders etc...Fires in RVs don't generally start at the gas cylinder, but the cylinders enhance the fire if totally out of control....
What has and will continue to catch out Fire Crews is items carried of a hazardous nature in private cars and vans....for example, someone who nips down the the garden centre to exchange their 11kg butane cylinder to load into the caravan....or the builders van that carries an oxy- cet..... welding gear...
It's all about risk assessment and being aware of what could be carried...
A sealed car boot on a saloon car with a butane cylinder carried horizontal and a leaky valve....ignited by a faulty brake- light connection was experienced by some unfortunate couple off on their holidays sometime during the early seventies...they didn't make it to their holiday destination I'm afraid..

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
If I was the attending Officer in charge, as I was for 30 years, I would treat with caution all parts of the vehicle...and would expect other hazardous materials to be carried... Smaller cylinders for BBQ.... household items, some cleaning materials...compressed cylinders etc...Fires in RVs don't generally start at the gas cylinder, but the cylinders enhance the fire if totally out of control....
What has and will continue to catch out Fire Crews is items carried of a hazardous nature in private cars and vans....for example, someone who nips down the the garden centre to exchange their 11kg butane cylinder to load into the caravan....or the builders van that carries an oxy- cet..... welding gear...
It's all about risk assessment and being aware of what could be carried...
A sealed car boot on a saloon car with a butane cylinder carried horizontal and a leaky valve....ignited by a faulty brake- light connection was experienced by some unfortunate couple off on their holidays sometime during the early seventies...they didn't make it to their holiday destination I'm afraid..
Thanks for the input I always feel that we should do our best to reduce the risk to the brave men and women who help in a crisis.

I carried an extra 3.9kg bottle in the rear locker for 2 weeks and could not wait to offload it . I hated the thought that it was there unidentified .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Can you point me to the regulation that states I can't chew on a live wire? No? Must be OK then!
I dare you to give it a go Eddie! 😄

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Just my opinion..

Provided the garage has a gas drop out vent, no electrical equipment, ie 12v lighting, charger, sockets, etc ... and the bottle is securely stored.. ok

I would also ask my insurer .. they may have a different view..
Just a thought ,By asking the insurer who probably doesnt have a clue wont the answer be no and would you be opening a can of worms
When ever you ask an insurance company a question even if you do not do the thing you ask about or go and do it ,they will asume you will and penalise you regardless

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Just a thought ,By asking the insurer who probably doesnt have a clue wont the answer be no and would you be opening a can of worms
When ever you ask an insurance company a question even if you do not do the thing you ask about or go and do it ,they will asume you will and penalise you regardless
Better to just find out the regulations and abide by them if you are of the mind to have a spare and thinking of asking the insurance company

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now

I have 2 x 14 kg Alugas.
Looks more like a European Standard as a BS EN so unless there's a National Annex or Published Document that varies it the EU rules apply. The whole UKCA thing was supposed to allow Divergence from the Eurocode requirements but that was U-Turned last year so EU rules still apply to most things.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back