Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
bigger LPG tanks

Hi Jim, I know Eddie (Stearside) went to see a guy in Runcorn who said he would put him a bigger domestic gas tank in and couple them all together with an independent shut-of valve to isolate the domestic when he’s on a long stay site! He reckoned he could put a 200 Litre domestic tank in for him which would give him a total of 500Lts. I know it’s not the done thing but if it makes his Europe trips better he’s up for it!

Patrick (conone)

roycondor

Free Member
Oct 26, 2007
South Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8 years
Hi Jim, I called in at gasure in Chester on the way home from Stratford for a conversion quote on my Condor chevy V8, they reckon £2500 approx plus the dreaded VAT, he wanted to fit the tanks under the rear chassis rails, this would be a temporary fitment as I would leave them behind on the first ferry ramp I came accross:Doh::Doh::cry::cry: Where are you getting your quote from?.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
i have 3 x 100 litre tanks and would love to fit more (might even get aroung to doing it to)

You'll definitely benefit from a countrywide farmers account in our rejoin Jim (40p a litre + vat):winky::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Jim, I called in at gasure in Chester on the way home from Stratford for a conversion quote on my Condor chevy V8, they reckon £2500 approx plus the dreaded VAT, he wanted to fit the tanks under the rear chassis rails, this would be a temporary fitment as I would leave them behind on the first ferry ramp I came accross:Doh::Doh::cry::cry: Where are you getting your quote from?.

A company very local to me in West Wales, I am not 100% sure that the RV will fit in their hangar, if it does and I get a price I will let everyone know:thumb:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Hi Nick

Jim is in Spain at the moment but I am sure he'll be along soon to answer your question.

It might be worth dropping him a PM to get yourself added as a trade member :Smile:

Welcome to the site by the way.....small world :winky:

Regards
Linda

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Lpg Conversion

Hi everyone,

I am the Red Faced BRIAN reffered to in Modick's post about House Batteries.

Regards LPG, I recentley had a conversion done by OZONE of Plymouth. Consisted of 2 x 90 Litre tanks ( 145 Litres of gas ) housed in the two rearmost lockers of either side. Filler being adjacent to Domestic LPG on Right - Hand side. I would have preffered more tanks but space was already taken up with other goodies. Price worked out at £2100 and was done in a weekend by an Itallian Owner/Workforce.

I use the National Company Flogas, which has a Depot in Redruth at a cost of 55p a litre, when I last filled on 21st August.

Brian

texastaffy

Free Member
Aug 9, 2008
Funster No
Hi Jim, I had mine done with Anglo American as have several friends of mine, al very satisfied and no problems, steve's a no nonsense guy & very knowledgable for all things RV.
I had 2 x 110 tanks for my 8.1 chevy, I also had my petrol tank cut down in size & dual fill points at the same distance from the rear as the petrol fill, sometimes if they are right at the back I found it a bit awkward on a previous vehicle.
I get around 320 miles on full gas & around the same on the size petrol tank I have.
It put the cost up a bit the way I had it but has preserved load distribution & I'm very satisfied. As to value & working out cost verses running on petrol I think it's a feel good factor when you fill up, better resale & maybe environmental advantage!!!

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
so 2 x 110 = 220 minus 20% = 179 litres you get 320 miles

179 divided x 4.54 = 39.42 UK GALLONS divided by 320 miles = 8.11 to the gallon

What size bus have you got?

My 34 footer with ford 460 is thirstier:Doh::cry:

Last edited:

texastaffy

Free Member
Aug 9, 2008
Funster No
Yea, usually min 310 max 320 towing or not

texastaffy

Free Member
Aug 9, 2008
Funster No
No, your first calc was correct 2 x110ltr tanks I get 310 to 320 miles range regular 8.1 chevy sweeeeeeeeet runner

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Just had a eureka moment
icon_e_biggrin.gif
(I think
icon_lol.gif
) and think I know why the MPG on LPG doesn't follow the energy density vis-a-vis petrol. It burns hotter; and thats the answer. If I turn a gas tap on and light it, there's very little energy, its mostly heat, in a cylinder it burns much hotter but produces less heat, but more energy to push the piston down. As LPG burns hotter than petrol it must covert more of its energy density to power not heat vis-a-vis petrol.

Thats my theory, its only taken me 3 years to work it out.
icon_e_biggrin.gif

Anybody care to comment??

Olley

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just had a eureka moment
icon_e_biggrin.gif
(I think
icon_lol.gif
) and think I know why the MPG on LPG doesn't follow the energy density vis-a-vis petrol. It burns hotter; and thats the answer. If I turn a gas tap on and light it, there's very little energy, its mostly heat, in a cylinder it burns much hotter but produces less heat, but more energy to push the piston down. As LPG burns hotter than petrol it must covert more of its energy density to power not heat vis-a-vis petrol.

Thats my theory, its only taken me 3 years to work it out.
icon_e_biggrin.gif

Anybody care to comment??

Olley

Hi Olley

so basically ... LPG burns move efficiently than Petrol..

I believe the same can be said of diesel.. even though diesel has a higher energy value than petrol it burns more efficiently, hence the higher mpg. ?

redsocks

Free Member
Jul 22, 2008
Hull
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
20 Years

Getting a quote on Monday to convert my 8.1L chevy to Gas. I want at least 300 tank/s that I can fill from either the left, right or rear. Anyone care to prime me for what sort of price to expect. :Eeek:

Hi Jim
Got my chevy 8.1 converted two month ago at Auto Gas 2000
Carlton Miniott, Thirsk E yourkshire yo7 4nj
Tel;01845 523213
Thay did a brill job the cost £2900.
Canot give you any tec detail as the paper work is in the rv
Regards
Bob
ps new to this computor game so i hope you get this.

redsocks

Free Member
Jul 22, 2008
Hull
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
20 Years
Hi Jim
Sent a reply but dont know if I sent it to the right place,so i wil send it again
I had my chevy 8.1 done about two month ago at
Auto gas 2000
Carlton Miiott
Thirsk
Eyourkshire
Yo7 4nj Tel:01845 523213
Thay did a brilliant job I left it there for five days, the total cost was £2900
I canot give you any tec details as the paper work is in the motorhome
I am new to this computor game so I hope you get this reply
Regards
Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back