Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
You've just heard it from me!
I may be out of date now (40+ yrs). When I first 'bought-in' I signed an agreement (which I read). The returnable fee reduced very quickly (down to nothing in about five years if I recall correctly).
So how much did you get back?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes and I would be interested in it but probably miles away...unless they can post it:giggle:
Two things......
1....Postage would possibly cost more than picking it up by car.
2.....i think you would be hard pushed to find a carrier to collect it as its probably classed as hazardous cargo and would need the appropriate carriers licence.

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
I've got 3 6kg Propane bottles (Keep 2 on the Van and 1 spare) and three 13kg Blue bottles. Never paid for any of them, People often give away the old blue bottles when the Barbie, Gas fire or patio heater packs up, (we used to have a free-cycle scheme where I lived). I grabbed them and swapped some for the 6kg Propane bottles.

Being the type of Anorak I am I keep a tag on how much gas we use. On the old van a 6kg bottle lasted around 52 away days. That was normal use Cooking etc, leave the heating on the EHU where possible. The current van looks to be returning similar performance but haven't emptied a bottle yet. When we head off abroad (usually a 3 week trip) I make sure I have a full second bottle, never yet run out.

I considered the Gaslow type of system and figured for the amounts we were using it wasn't worth it. I can change bottles at the local builders merchant, chuck the empty in the car boot and call in on my way to the supermarket. Couldn't be easier.

Final word of advice - Keep things simple and don't get caught up in Techno garble!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
I would second the very sound advice of Bernie P above. Use the van with the "normal" bottles and try it. If it's your first time, maybe take it to a local site, or even try it on your drive for a night or two. You'll get a much better idea of how everything works by actually doing it than any other way. If you do try it that way, one way to maybe get a better idea of how much gas you are using would be to weigh the bottle you have connected both before you go away and then again on your return. You can then work out how much gas you are using and plan for the future accordingly.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
So how much did you get back?
Nothing, because I had no reason to return them.
For one reason or another (boats, caravan, BBQ, heaters) I've built-up quite a collection.
I did hear, before Covid, that Calor were offering £10 to recover bottles because their stock was rather depleted.
Could've taken advantage but wasn't that bothered.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
If you haven't got your original agreement Calor will give you £7.50 for a return

How much will I get?
I have my Cylinder Refill Agreement paperwork
I don't have my Cylinder Refill Agreement paperwork

Can’t find your Cylinder Refill Agreement paperwork? Don’t worry, we all misplace things.
We offer £7.50 for each Calor gas bottle that is returned to one of our Calor Centres.** To find your nearest Calor Centre call us on 0800 022 4146, or use our retailer finder tool and apply the 'Calor Centre' filter.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
If you haven't got your original agreement Calor will give you £7.50 for a return

How much will I get?
I have my Cylinder Refill Agreement paperwork
I don't have my Cylinder Refill Agreement paperwork

Can’t find your Cylinder Refill Agreement paperwork? Don’t worry, we all misplace things.
We offer £7.50 for each Calor gas bottle that is returned to one of our Calor Centres.** To find your nearest Calor Centre call us on 0800 022 4146, or use our retailer finder tool and apply the 'Calor Centre' filter.

Damn, I've just started turning my old one in to a stove :LOL:

OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
You don’t buy a bottle/cylinder from Calor, you rent it (I once read some graffiti in a pub toilet proclaiming something similar about the beer there:) So you never actually own the thing at all. You can return it to Calor later and recover some of the fee you paid if you have only had it a few years (and still have the original paperwork). Once you have one Calor bottle, you can usually swap it for another of a different size if you want, so you should not be limited to the size you first purchased (some swaps are more difficult than others). The cost per litre of gas drops, the larger the cylinder (and will also last you longer). Calor is widely available in this country but it’s a good idea to have more than one bottle so that you’re not caught short when one runs out unexpectedly (which is likely to be at night, in foul weather). Calor is not the only supplier over here: the others may be cheaper but not as widely available. There’s nothing to stop you using different suppliers’ bottles together, the connections are the same (for Propane in the UK).

Refillables are bottles that you own and keep. You just add gas when you want. A benefit of a refillable is that you can get away with one bottle more easily because you can fill it to full at any time and know exactly how much you have. It is also much cheaper per litre than what you pay to Calor. Maybe I’m lucky, but I have a choice of local filling stations and have not had difficulty finding supplies here or abroad. The regulator connection for a SafeFill is the same as for Propane bottles but the others (GasLow/GasIt/AluGas) will require a set of slightly more complex pipework. SafeFill can be refilled in situ or by removing the bottle, as you would with a Calor one (SafeFill are lighter, though). GasLow/GasIt/AluGas remain in the vehicle at all times (unless you remove them to use in another van.

Gas suppliers abroad will not exchange a Calor bottle for one of theirs, so it’s extra hassle but ‘doable’: You will have to buy/rent a local variety and it may also need an adaptor to connect your regulator. A full Calor cylinder may last a full trip in Summer, though. With a refillable, you can top-up abroad if you need to (but may need an adaptor to suit their fill-nozzle).

It is a lot to absorb. Take time and you’ll soon be telling others all about it too.
Thanks a lot for your detailed advice. I don't know that I will be advising anyone on anything MH arrrgggg

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I'm in Glasgow. There is nothing in the van at the moment so I'll be open to all options.
Well I will keep in touch as I will be down to Edinburgh in a few weekends so I am sure I could meet you somewhere closer to you if you decide you want one.

Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
So after reading this and other ‘gas’ threads I have decided to go with one calor and one 11kg Gaslow system. The cost of installing Gaslow using a certified dealer and with an external refill cap is £400. I know diy is cheaper but not for me. If I really like LPG another Gaslow cylinder can easily be fitted to replace the calor. As a newbie planning to tour Europe sometime but still wanting to explore UK/Ireland, flexibility seems sensible especially given some of the threads about LPG being a bit difficulty to find (especially in ROI). As a newbie I was surprised at the amount of gas you can use wild camping if you keep the heating on at night even on a low temperature. So long term LPG may even give me a payback. The dealer has suggested I consider an underslung system for the new gas, is this of any real benefit? I already have enough garage space.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
So after reading this and other ‘gas’ threads I have decided to go with one calor and one 11kg Gaslow system. The cost of installing Gaslow using a certified dealer and with an external refill cap is £400. I know diy is cheaper but not for me. If I really like LPG another Gaslow cylinder can easily be fitted to replace the calor. As a newbie planning to tour Europe sometime but still wanting to explore UK/Ireland, flexibility seems sensible especially given some of the threads about LPG being a bit difficulty to find (especially in ROI). As a newbie I was surprised at the amount of gas you can use wild camping if you keep the heating on at night even on a low temperature. So long term LPG may even give me a payback. The dealer has suggested I consider an underslung system for the new gas, is this of any real benefit? I already have enough garage space.
Sounds like a good compromise. I liked the gaslow system and can find refilling points fine up my way but before that I had 1 gaslow and one exchangeable bottle. I used the gaslow and when it was empty I would changeover to the exchangeable bottle but refill my gaslow ASAP and change back to that.

This means you are not changing out your exchangeables more than necessary.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My gas locker took two 13kg Calor, though now replaced with 2x11kg Alugas. The calor bottles are very heavy, even when empty, so changing to lpg saves payload and your back.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

Underslung is usually best, but more expensive. Advantages are ability to specify more storage, it doesn't take any habitation/storage space and any leaks are to the outside. Disadvantages are purchase cost and the fact that the shutoff valve is remote (meaning it is either never turned off, you get dirty knees, or also have to buy a remote solenoid cutout that is more money and does take a little bit of electricity when on.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
So after reading this and other ‘gas’ threads I have decided to go with one calor and one 11kg Gaslow system. The cost of installing Gaslow using a certified dealer and with an external refill cap is £400. I know diy is cheaper but not for me. If I really like LPG another Gaslow cylinder can easily be fitted to replace the calor.

Have you looked at Safefill bottles? An easy/cheaper/lighter alternative to Gaslow.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Have you looked at Safefill bottles? An easy/cheaper/lighter alternative to Gaslow.

We don't use huge amounts of gas and that's what we've went with. One of the largest and a Calor Lite (until we empty it). Possibly get a second Safefill at that time (if required).

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

Andy_P

Free Member
Oct 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dehleffs T6500
Exp
Total newbie (but been under canvas for 40years+)
Don't pay the "rental" fee for a Calor or Flogas cylinder. It's a lot of money and in all likelihood you'll never get it back.
Places to look for empty cylinders are your local Facebook Marketplace, Local Gumtree, eBay, Local paper classifieds. You can usually pick them up for free or just a few quid. Some people say you can get them from your local council dump/recycling centre, for a "donation" but in my experience the managers have tightened up the rules so much that the workers aren't allowed to make a few pennies this way any more.

Quite often what you find will still have some gas in them. I was lucky enough to get two 6kg bottles, one full and the other half full for FREE from nice man locally. He wouldnt take anything for them and I had to almost beg him to tell me a favourite charity, so I could send them something on his behalf!

DaveFromBarrow

Free Member
Sep 11, 2020
Aboyne
Funster No
MH
Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
Can you twin a Calor propane bottle with a refillable to provide flexibility?

d

Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
Yes that’s what I agreed to do with the dealer on Friday, then I can easily replace the calor with another refillable at a later date if I like it, just the cost of another bottle.

DaveFromBarrow

Free Member
Sep 11, 2020
Aboyne
Funster No
MH
Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
Thanks for that. And will the refillable connect to the existing calor connector and twin regulator?

d

Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
To be honest I don't know exactly but the regulator will be set up so that even a fool like me can easily change things over from LPG to calor and vice versa. The estimate covers regulator adjustments and external fill cap. Just need to buy fill adaptors for European country differences.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back