May 19, 2017
Melksham, Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Fiat Benimar Aereo 6000cc
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello everyone,

I am a complete newbie to motorhoming and am just in the process of getting my Fiat Benimar set up and ready to venture into the great unknown! I am undecided on which method of gas to use; I have looked at various options, Gaslow, Calor, Calor Lite etc. My vehicle only has space for a 6kg bottle (I think). I would like to look at Calor Lite, but availability of these seems to be limited; at least via the Calor site.

Would be most grateful for any advice on the best for affordability, weight and flexibility etc....

Many thanks indeed,

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I have to say I think Calor Lite is a rip off. You pay far more for the same amount of gas in a standard bottle. It may be worth considering when making you decision that Calor will not be available accross the channel. Each country has different arrangements so re-fillable options may be worth considering.

Wyn

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Calor light have stopped being sold,
I thought I would go to a friendly dealer and maybe they will let you try different bottles

Joe

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Calories Lite is being phased out , your best option is to fit a 6kg refillable bottle giving you the option of filling up anywhere in the UK and continent.. but surprised you only have space for one 6kg bottle ..

otherwise, the standard Calor 6kg propane bottle

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
I'm sure I read somewhere on here that calor lite was no longer available. We are new to this as well and gas was something we worried about too. We have two 6kg calor bottles. We have been away 20 days in total and are still using no 1 bottle. We have an oven and use the out side bbq point. I hope this might give you an idea.
We have not used gas for heating.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Personally after many years of trying to justify the initial cost, I did go for Gaslow (there are Gas it and alugas and probably others available). Prior to having them fitted, I ensured I had a full Calor Lite and a BP Lite which was around about £50 exchange. I had refillable ones and after the equivalent trip, I filled up and it cost £9.92.
Ok, it would take many trips to recoup the outlay but the real benefit is being able to fill up at loads of places and not having to rely on one gas distributor (which wouldn't be available in Europe. With the Gaslow (other makes available and probably cheaper) you can get adaptors for European travel. It's the convenience plus not having to buy a French/Spanish/German cylinder and adaptor or taking yours for exchange.
Incidentally, apparently Calor Lite is ceasing shortly but being replaced by something else but don't know what as yet.
It's a decision but I wish I'd had mine fitted years ago.
You can fit them yourself if you are competent (I'm not). Some clever folk on here will help if you go down that route.

Upvote 0

Shoeless

Free Member
May 17, 2017
Aberdaron
Funster No
MH
Ace Firenza
Exp
Since 2015
When we were on the road the other year we found that a bottle, even in the harshest of weathers, would last us for more than a month and that included some heating and lots of cooking. And having two bottles means that one can eke the last of one bottle before changing over.

With one bottle it's a case of whooshing it around and trying to work out if the fifth of a bottle remaining is enough and then, because of the doubt, we'd exchange bottles and therefore our costs would rise by 20%.

Despite what folk say Calor gas isn't dear even in 6kg bottles though if one gets the massive tanks that look as if they belong as scuba diving gear for fifteen foot tall giants then they're even cheaper. So, in short, if you can get two bottles and it'll be fine.

- Malc

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
When we were on the road the other year we found that a bottle, even in the harshest of weathers, would last us for more than a month and that included some heating and lots of cooking. And having two bottles means that one can eke the last of one bottle before changing over.

With one bottle it's a case of whooshing it around and trying to work out if the fifth of a bottle remaining is enough and then, because of the doubt, we'd exchange bottles and therefore our costs would rise by 20%.

Despite what folk say Calor gas isn't dear even in 6kg bottles though if one gets the massive tanks that look as if they belong as scuba diving gear for fifteen foot tall giants then they're even cheaper. So, in short, if you can get two bottles and it'll be fine.

- Malc
Really depends on what is considered expensive. Calor works out around £5.00 a kg or £2.50 ish a litre (ok, not exact but open to exact figures from the purists) whereas a litre of lpg at our local place is £0.47 or about a £1.00 a kg making it about 20% of the cost of Calor without factoring in the loss of deposit over 6 years (I believe)
Around £30.00 isn't expensive but when compared to around £6.00 for same amount, well, you decide.

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
It's interesting that some posts have said Calor light is not being sold. I can only find anything saying that are not being sold online now - nothing to suggest that you cannot get one at a dealer. I bought one last September (just for a BBQ, I have gaslow for the van) and no mention was made about them being phased out.
There has been a recall of older cylinders however.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
shame many m,homes have small gas lockers i use 19kg ones . bhttps:// check these prices

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
It's interesting that some posts have said Calor light is not being sold. I can only find anything saying that are not being sold online now - nothing to suggest that you cannot get one at a dealer. I bought one last September (just for a BBQ, I have gaslow for the van) and no mention was made about them being phased out.
There has been a recall of older cylinders however.
There was a recall by Calor a few years ago and a few other packaged gas companies also. However, apparently it's on the cards that Calor are phasing out the Lite cylinders for a probable replacement later this year. Knowing Calor though, I imagine there'll be no problem exchanging up to a deadline date.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
shame many m,homes have small gas lockers i use 19kg ones . bhttps:// check these prices
Error 404
Screenshot_20170519-225348.png

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just scroll down and press on bottles .
or gas bottles /cylinders at the top.

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Really depends on what is considered expensive. Calor works out around £5.00 a kg or £2.50 ish a litre (ok, not exact but open to exact figures from the purists) whereas a litre of lpg at our local place is £0.47 or about a £1.00 a kg making it about 20% of the cost of Calor without factoring in the loss of deposit over 6 years (I believe)
Around £30.00 isn't expensive but when compared to around £6.00 for same amount, well, you decide.
Have you figured in the cost of a refillable bottle and filler?

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Very good price. Shame you couldn't get the 47kg one to work like on FLT's (particularly as o could have got those at £5.00 exchange)

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its really flogas they are selling . so even if away from home flogas is usually around somewhere.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Have you figured in the cost of a refillable bottle and filler?
Yes as I explained in some detail on a different post but for me and most others, it's not about recouping the initial cost but the convenience of being able to fill up in virtually any European country without the hassle of buying their cylinders and valves etc. I certainly never regret having refillable cylinders fitted. Plenty of other things I've regretted buying but not the cylinders

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
its really flogas they are selling . so even if away from home flogas is usually around somewhere.
Well yes but only in the UK with those fittings. Like most major gas companies, Linde, Air Liquide, Air Products there are differences in various countries

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
in most countries abroad you can actually get uk bottles filled .
the big gas works normally do it.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
in most countries abroad you can actually get uk bottles filled .
the big gas works normally do it.
Tbf, I wasn't aware of that and others aren't because many have said about having to buy particular county's cylinders. I suppose it's knowing where the propane filling plants are.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its amazing how many places there are that will fill bottles . portugal is really easy . spain there are several. holland look near marinas boat folk dont want loads different bottles . turkey most garages will fill them for you . if going to india . again loads places will fill them . beeb the same for years . africa the same . mind in some places bottles are so cheap its use and chuck away. about 4.50 quid for a 12 kg bottle in morocco.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Upvote 0

Gadget

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 15, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
AutoTrailTribute620
Exp
Since 1999
We purchased a Benimar 313 in November. The specifications state that two 13kg propane can be carried; however although I can get one 13kg bottle in (after a bit of a struggle) it is impossible to get the second 13kg in through the small locker door.
Because of this, we now have a 6kg bottle as backup to use when the 13kg is empty before we replace it.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
I have a Benimar 2016/7 201 it has a small gas locker that says it holds 2 x 6kg bottles. because MH is tight on payload weight I now travel with 1 10kg safefill bottle & refill it as required as the cylinder is translucent you can see how much gas you have. 10kg usually lasts us 2-3 weeks
In spring (hot water, fridge cooking & heater) no hookup

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
20 yrs on and off
I've enjoyed reading all the different opinions on Gas supplies and am now more confused than ever.
Was planning to take a full 7kg propane and buying an additional Spanish bottle ( for which I already have the connectors etc) on my arrival in Bilbao in March for a two month stay.
Perhaps I should stick to two full Propanes instead?????

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've enjoyed reading all the different opinions on Gas supplies and am now more confused than ever.
Was planning to take a full 7kg propane and buying an additional Spanish bottle ( for which I already have the connectors etc) on my arrival in Bilbao in March for a two month stay.
Perhaps I should stick to two full Propanes instead?????
Depending on usage 2 x 7kg propanes may not be enough so you could still end up having to buy a Spanish one anyway, so just stick to your original plan.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
20 yrs on and off
my instinct was to go with the original plan but thought more experienced Spanish travellers may have had other ideas.
Thanks for your thoughts.:D

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back