Gas Bottles whilst Visiting France & Spain.... (1 Viewer)

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Sorry in advance as I know there’s been a lot of posts on the Forum about gas bottles in Europe, but a lot of the discussions are what can be done in preparation for a trip, whereas I’m afraid we’re away already. ?

It’s our first trip to France and Spain, and we thought we’d got everything sorted and were advised to have a second leisure battery and second 6kg gas bottle fitted (Calor Propane), but we’ve missed a crucial point that we really should have gone for refillable gas canisters..... and we are kicking ourselves now!

So we’ve just cutover onto the second 6kg Calor Propane bottle. We are staying on a mixture of Aires and Sites, and have got as far as Northern Spain and hoping to continue touring around for another week or two, or longer if possible. The gas will be used, for heating and hot water when necessary, and cooking.

[ETA I originally said that we were using gas for the fridge when travelling, but as per Lenny’s reply, that’s incorrect and it runs on 12V when travelling - thanks Lenny!]

Would it be best to find a Motorhome workshop in Southern Spain when we get there, to update the gas setup to allow us to use a locally bought gas bottle? I think when we get home we’ll be getting the refillable gas system installed, so we just need to get fixed up so we can use locally bought gas whilst we’re over here.

Any suggestions gratefully received - and sorry for being such numpties! ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Should you decide to extend your travels and get as far as the Algarve, my mate Nigel ( who is English) owns Algarve Motorhome Services and is a Gasit dealer and fitter.
He will come to you, and is only a few km from the small private site we live at.
.......just another option?

Morning BreweryDave! Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for letting us have the details of your friend who'd fit a Gasit system for us! Unfortunately I don't think we'll be heading across to the Algarve on this holiday, otherwise that would have been a great solution! Thanks again! ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
If it helps you my end fitting looks like the attached pic onto a standard Repsol cylinder.

Morning Burgo! Sorry for the late reply, but thanks very much for posting the photo of the gas fitting into the Repsol cylinder - that's really helpful to see what we're aiming for - thanks! ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
This is a my set up

View attachment 360353
The next photo shows a regulator (which you don't want) the easy way to tell if you have the correct one. Regulators have the pipe pushed on and sealed with a clip. Just to make it more complicated the new adaptors do not have a Red top, but are always connected with a screwed thread.View attachment 360354
Morning Bolti! Sorry for such a late reply, but thanks very much for posting the photos yesterday to help us see the difference between the regulator and adaptor, that's really useful information for us thanks! ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Hi, it your passing Javea Costa Blanca I will sell you a large full Cepsa propane bottle €23. ? Bob.

Morning Bobandjanie! Sorry for the late reply, but thanks very much indeed for your offer to sell us a full Cepsa propane bottle, that's really helpful if you, thanks! We're a bit further north from you at the moment but will keep in touch if we don't manage to get a new bottle up here, and we will head on your direction! Thanks again! ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Hi All, just a quick update on our gas bottle situation in Spain!

Firstly, thanks again for all your advice on this thread.

From Zaragoza we headed south east to Benicassim as we'd seen online that there were a couple of motorhome spares shops in the town. We stayed at Camping Tauro who were able to sell us a full Spanish bottle (Cepsa), and we purchased the adapter and hose from their camping shop in the town.

We were very then very fortunate to have the assistance of an amazing and very experienced and friendly Motorhomer who was staying on the site and he helped us with installing the gas bottle and testing the connections - thanks very much to Dave if he is a member of this Forum! ?

Thanks again!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back