Gas Bottles. This is the question, should one install a refillable system, or not? (1 Viewer)

Oct 23, 2020
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Explore RL c/va
Exp
I am about to take delivery of my first motorhome, in which I hope to spend extended time touring in Europe. I think I. Have convinced myself that a refillable gas bottle system is the way to go. I have the following queries. Are the refillable bottles/ fittings interchangeable? Can you have a large refillable bottle i.e 11/13 kg and a standard calor bottle? Which system is best? gas it is cheaper than gaslow, and Alugas is lighter in weight. Thoughts advice please. The list of things I think I need/want is growing by the hour! Any other advice gratefully received. TIA

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
We have a tank that was standard fit, but if I were you, I would go for one refillable, & one Calor. LPG is plentiful in Europe, & once you have your adapters, it is cheap & easy! However, LPG in the UK is becoming less easy to get, so having a Calor bottle to exchange, whilst much more expensive, may help you out on occasions. Best of both worlds! Oh, & welcome!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Can you have a large refillable bottle i.e 11/13 kg and a standard calor bottle?
Yes - we have had this set up for years. The only thing to watch if, like us, you run on the refillable bottle with the calories just as a back up for if you run out on the gaslow, is to make sure you don't run the calor out eventually, or maybe too old.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
We had one Gasit 11kg bottle fitted in tandem with 13kg Calor plus auto change over. We live in northern Scotland but with planning and top ups whenever possible we've never used the Calor. A range of adaptors for all European countries is readily available.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I am about to take delivery of my first motorhome, in which I hope to spend extended time touring in Europe. I think I. Have convinced myself that a refillable gas bottle system is the way to go. I have the following queries. Are the refillable bottles/ fittings interchangeable? Can you have a large refillable bottle i.e 11/13 kg and a standard calor bottle? Which system is best? gas it is cheaper than gaslow, and Alugas is lighter in weight. Thoughts advice please. The list of things I think I need/want is growing by the hour! Any other advice gratefully received. TIA
You might also consider an underslung tank. It would be slightly more expensive (and options will vary according to your chassis design). However, it means your gas locker can be used as a handy storage unit for your outside gear.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Or you could forget gas and buy a Wallas XCduo runs off your diesel tank, warms van and 2 burner hob, saves space and weight and you don’t have to chase about looking for gas 🤗

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
We picked up our first Motor home in September. After a lot of research we got the dealer to fit 2 x 11kgs Gaslow refillable system, with auto change and exterior filler.

Not had too much use, but very pleased and easy to refill from a garage pump. (y)

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our very first trip, straight from the dealers forecourt with our 'new' M/H was to VanBitz in Taunton (no, they were not anywhere near us either, but the best place in southern England)

We had Four priorities to get fitted before we even took it home
Get an alarm fitted
Get a tracker fitted
Get a solar panel fitted
Get refillable gas fitted

All were done in a single day by eddievanbitz

On Gas we went belt and braces, we kept one of the Calor Gas bottles and replaced the other with a refillable GasLow bottle and external filler point.
I figured in the UK we can use Calor and swap it over once a year or so, and when in the EU we use the gaslow and keep the Calor as backup

At any point if we want I can simply swap the Calor for another GasLow bottle (So I'll be keeping my eyes on the Classified for a cheap 2nd hand GasLow bottle at some point that can live at the back of the shed until we need it.
GasLow bottles have a 10 year 'life'

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
How often are you travelling in the motorhome & using gas?
Is your Gas for hot water, cooking and heating?
Are you UK or EU travelling (or further :eek: :) )

refillable {may soon} save you a fortune rather than exchanging bottles.
^^ over time and based on usage.
Our MH is Calor only and we avoided the Calor Gas Rental charge by using Facebook to find someone's unwanted 7kg butane bottle that we could exchange for a full 6kg propane Calor bottle locally too. (y)

If you do want refillable for how you're using your MH and the initial ££ outlay suits, then refillable is simpler to manage.

For e.g. I took a 1/5th empty gas bottle around the UK all summer waiting for it to run out so I could switch to a spare bottle I had ready.
It didn't run out until the last day before coming home.
But if that was winter we'd of run out much earlier (we are gas heating/HW/Cooking).
With refillable you can keep bottles topped up when you see a supplier.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
In your opening post you already have the answers. What you buy is dependent on your priorities. My view was 1 gaslow 1 calor bottles gasit fill system pipes (cheapest method).
If payload is an issue go with alugas (start with 1) dont pay a calor rental.. I use manual switch over not auto. I also use mopeka level system to monotor usage. For belt and braces fit a bbq point and then an additional bottle with regulator can be fitted (calor or foreign). A pipe is also available from gaslow gasit to use a "calor" connected to the refillable connection point.

May 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymercar Yosemite
Exp
Since summer 2019
We had a Gaslow system fitted before we collected out PVC and it has been brilliant. In addition to the considerable savings on running costs, a major benefit is really being able to forget about the gas for weeks at a time. Our gauge is not much good, but as we can run for well more than a month between refilling this isn't a problem.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I am about to take delivery of my first motorhome, ...........The list of things I think I need/want is growing by the hour! Any other advice gratefully received. TIA
Don't rush. Get the basics first and discover what you actually need. There are sheds all over Europe filled with essential stuff that folk have found they never needed. ;)

I only tour abroad and installed one 6kg Gaslow refillable and one Calor exchangeable, both permanently connected but with manual changeover (I simply shut the refillable's tap and open the Calor's tap) because I want to know if the refillable has emptied. I have not yet had to change to the Calor as abroad I'm on the road every two or three days and can top up the refillable with as little or as much as is needed to fill it, and at so many places.
2018-04-21 Gas locker connections 002.JPG

2018-04-21 Gas locker connections 003.JPG

Last edited:

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Or you could forget gas and buy a Wallas XCduo runs off your diesel tank, warms van and 2 burner hob, saves space and weight and you don’t have to chase about looking for gas 🤗
Sorry. I would not recommend this unit as hob and heater as a replacement to a gas hob/oven plus Truma, or similar air/water heater.
I fitted one in my boat a few years back. They are good quality units and very well made. Plus the unit is an insulated glass hob which, when you lower the lid, becomes a fan assisted air blower heater. Exhaust is routed to an external vent. So no gas or flame inside the boat/van. The down side is, it takes a while for the hob to get up to temperature. So not ideal for a quick cuppa! The heater is powerful, but is a single point of heat at waist height. So the floor area never really gets warm.
I would fit one in a camper van that is primarily for summer use, but only to save space.

When I replaced the boat with a bigger one, I had a gas hob and oven fitted. Together with a multi-vent Eberspacher diesel blown air heater.

Last edited:

seamus62

Free Member
Dec 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Anyone able to give a ball park cost for adding a refillable setup?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Anyone able to give a ball park cost for adding a refillable setup?
The Gaslow website will give you a price for complete kits, without installation of course. I fitted my system in under an hour. Apart from drilling the hole for the filler it was no more difficult than changing a Calor cylinder.

<Broken link removed>

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Peppadog
Sorry I beg to differ, I have one fitted in my 6m PVC and I have timed it from cold to increase room temp by 15 degrees, 16 minutes and if your van is insulated properly then the warm air does circulate and you do not get cold feet. Ref. Fridge, I have Electric only fridge which works off battery or EHU and my solar panel more than keeps on top of the fridge consumption.
not sure if boats are insulated to the same level as a 4 season PVC so maybe not the best example. Anyway each to their own.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
No info about gas, but welcome from Ciren! (y)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Welcome!

You can mix bottles.

Refillable systems are not cheap. Their cost could buy a lot of gas, so you may not make a saving (if that was your reason for going that way). If you only go to Europe in Summer, you should not need to refill whilst away. The main benefit of refillable is that you don’t need to empty before refilling and you can refill almost anywhere (whereas you cannot exchange Calor abroad). All systems, except underslung, are easy to transfer to another van but they do have finite life (10-15 yrs).

So only get one refillable cylinder, if at all. You may prefer to get a light one (SafeFill or AluGas) to save on payload (and gain another benefit).

Feb 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
La Strada
Exp
The maker of my soon to be delivered German moho don't offer refillable as an option. Their point being - keep it simple.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The maker of my soon to be delivered German moho don't offer refillable as an option. Their point being - keep it simple.
Very few manufacturers fit refillable even as an option.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I use two 6kg Gaslows, only because anything bigger won't fit the locker and at the time I'd only heard about Gaslow. I don't have an autochanger as there's too much chance of me emptying BOTH bottles before realising I'm out of gas. Use one until it's empty, change over and look for a refill over the next few days at leisure. As most of our touring is abroad I don't see the point of carrying something I can't fully use and it's too much fuss changing over to "local" bottles. Never had problems finding refills anywhere (except Morocco but that's another story) and I've calculated that the savings against bottled gas have paid for the system many times over. Plus of course the convenience.

Only downside to my method is it usually runs out in the middle of the night in a rainstorm..................... :xeek:

Refillable, every time but I'd avoid Safefill as a lot of places won't let you refill that type, or so I've read about.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Refillable, every time but I'd avoid Safefill as a lot of places won't let you refill that type, or so I've read about.

It took me a while to choose Safefill but I love the super light weight cylinders
There is no problem in the UK as Morrisons have adopted them as the only bottle you can fill with them.
On our last trip to Germany we had no problem at the garages. We also found self service filling stations that are just a LPG tank and dispenser with a credit card reader, so no problem there.
I am still worried a bit about France and them being picky but we will have 40 litres to use up before it becomes a problem.

IMG_20201215_141124.jpg

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Welcome!

You can mix bottles.

Refillable systems are not cheap. Their cost could buy a lot of gas, so you may not make a saving (if that was your reason for going that way). If you only go to Europe in Summer, you should not need to refill whilst away. The main benefit of refillable is that you don’t need to empty before refilling and you can refill almost anywhere (whereas you cannot exchange Calor abroad). All systems, except underslung, are easy to transfer to another van but they do have finite life (10-15 yrs).

So only get one refillable cylinder, if at all. You may prefer to get a light one (SafeFill or AluGas) to save on payload (and gain another benefit).
Yeah I agree. Get one refillable and use one refillable with a changeover regulator. Best of both worlds.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
... avoid Safefill as a lot of places won't let you refill that type, or so I've read about.
I keep hearing that, too, but it's not the case in my experience.
Unless you've left it to the last moment and have become desperate, you should have time to move on to another location at leisure if you're unlucky enough find somewhere that doesn't like them.

A lot of information gets passed about by hearsay, rather than true experience.
The more it's repeated, the more it becomes accepted.
There's a big difference between fact and opinion.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I keep hearing that, too, but it's not the case in my experience.
Unless you've left it to the last moment and have become desperate, you should have time to move on to another location at leisure if you're unlucky enough find somewhere that doesn't like them.

A lot of information gets passed about by hearsay, rather than true experience.
The more it's repeated, the more it becomes accepted.
There's a big difference between fact and opinion.
We've been refused filling of our Gaslow twice, this was when we had an internal filler, having an external filler means we have only once been asked whether it was for 'propulsion' or 'cooking' as that particular garage was extremely picky so when we answered honestly we weren't allowed to fill it. This is one of the reasons why for the last two Globe cars and our current Carthago that I fitted external fillers, I don't think that's possible with Safefill.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back