Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi 'Ski' ... welcome to the fun house!

Difficult to say without knowing how you intend to use your MH ... UK, Europe, short/long trips etc ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I've fitted one 6kg refillable Gaslow (Yellow) cylinder and one 6kg Calor propane (Red) exchangeable cylinder. I use the refillable as a main supply and keep the Calor as standby. A simple changeover valve enables selection of whichever I want to use.
My reasoning is a). Calor bottles cannot be exchanged abroad but LPG vehicle filling stations are plentiful so I would run only briefly on the Calor before topping up the refillable. And b). LPG vehicle filling stations are less common in U.K. so if I ran out on the refillable I can run on the exchangeable Calor until I find an LPG filling station.
Here's the installation which took me less than an hour to install. (I hadn't yet fitted the Gaslow bottle filler pipe. It is now connected to the red blanking cap - 5 min job).
2017-04-03 Gaslow regulator 001.JPG

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We put an underslung Gasit system on and we got the locker space back.

image.jpeg

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Welcome.....

I think the ladies avatar speak volumes on what the Motorhome is going to be used for....;):cool:

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If the van you buy has a gas bottle with it , use them first and see how it goes. Some use lots of gas other use less.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
I would go for refillables everytime.Saves taking out heavy bottles,then taking them to calor stockist to exchange for full
bottles.So much easier just to fill at lpg garage.
We have Gaslow,but all refillable manufacturers are good.
Depends which company has the best deal at the time!

Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Refillable probably the best things we have bought for any van. They are now in their third one having been transferred every time we changed.

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I like having ours - we can top up whenever we need to and don't worry about trying to find compatible bottles when we are in Europe. However, we are planning to keep our mh for many more years so the payback is likely to be worthwhile for convenience but it will take longer for the price of bottled vs fill up gas to cover the cost of our setup (approx £230 for 2 second hand bottles, automatic switchover valve, hoses and fill up point plus European adaptors) plus my labour.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I like having ours - we can top up whenever we need to and don't worry about trying to find compatible bottles when we are in Europe. However, we are planning to keep our mh for many more years so the payback is likely to be worthwhile for convenience but it will take longer for the price of bottled vs fill up gas to cover the cost of our setup (approx £230 for 2 second hand bottles, automatic switchover valve, hoses and fill up point plus European adaptors) plus my labour.
remember if going abroad many countries its cheaper to swap their bottles than use autogas. some filling with autogas isnt available . morocco is one of them . but bottles are so cheap.
really it does depend on your m,home use.
i say avoid calor bottles thats a saving . i can make a 19 kg bottle last about 6 weeksor more if i want to . but normally its a spare . 12kg spanish i use 4 bottles in six months and about half my flogas 19 kg . could strech the flogas further but i really only use it as back up. . leave spain with a full bottle that lasts the summer weekend use . i do use the flogas in the house with a caravan fire just to use it up before going away. . with bigger bottles changing to the so called refillables would take a lifetime .

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
be far better if folk buying new m,homes made the converters fit gas bottle lockers big enough to take two 19kg bottles .
The problem is there is that it's not just the locker size that's the issue. The bigger space made available in a locker, you have to lose in that area above the locker. If the cylinder space available is increased by say 6", then 6" of habitation space is forfeited.
You're not just able increase locker space without losing space elsewhere.
In our case, it did take a few years to justify the cost of refillable cylinders but without a doubt it is the best addition we've ever made to the Moho.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SKI Mobile

SKI Mobile

Free Member
Aug 8, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
Thanks guys! A lot to consider there. We will investigate Alugas as we live very near Autogas 2000. Thanks for the suggestion.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
The problem is there is that it's not just the locker size that's the issue. The bigger space made available in a locker, you have to lose in that area above the locker. If the cylinder space available is increased by say 6", then 6" of habitation space is forfeited.
You're not just able increase locker space without losing space elsewhere.
In our case, it did take a few years to justify the cost of refillable cylinders but without a doubt it is the best addition we've ever made to the Moho.
i know i used to build vw campers for a living .
but many of the larger m,homes could have larger gas lockers .
i have been with many that only can fit the silly german bottles .
its really upto the customer . if they keep buying the converters keep making . even 15kg are a far better buy than the little bottles .
we have choices . make the choice a little less room and less room in your wallet or more room and an empty wallet?
every year just lately i meet uk folk having trouble with the refillable bottles . one friend is on his third set of a well known make they just keep playing up. he does fulltime so uses them alot .
but back to choices . your happy with yours thats ok.

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Just in case you haven't made up your mind yet. We asked all the same questions about gas tanks as well.

In the end when we picked up our motorhome we had 2 x 6kg lightweight calor tanks fitted.
Since April we have had 4 weekends away and also a 2 week trip to Germany.

We are only half way through our first 6kg calor bottle. Im beginning to wonder when it will run out so i can change it over:D

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Being thrifty with gas is fair enough when it's warm. But when you need plenty of gas for heating and drying then you need gas and plenty of it. In such places .. ski resorts and the like ... autogas is readily available.

Upvote 0

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Fitted 11kg gasit external filler 175 del with adaptor for standard hose,did this to give bit more room in the locker and save a bit on gas cost

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
i know i used to build vw campers for a living .
but many of the larger m,homes could have larger gas lockers .
i have been with many that only can fit the silly german bottles .
its really upto the customer . if they keep buying the converters keep making . even 15kg are a far better buy than the little bottles .
we have choices . make the choice a little less room and less room in your wallet or more room and an empty wallet?
every year just lately i meet uk folk having trouble with the refillable bottles . one friend is on his third set of a well known make they just keep playing up. he does fulltime so uses them alot .
but back to choices . your happy with yours thats ok.
Well I've never had a problem with refillable cylinders and never met anyone that's had a problem with refillable cylinders, in fact more people get gassed than have refillable cylinder problems and actually, and you'll no doubt prove me wrong, but except for the guages, I've never seen a thread on here concerning problems with refillable cylinders but hey, perhaps you on on a planet that does have problems with refillable cylinders but here on earth, we don't

Upvote 0

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We have twin 6kg Gaslow cylinders fitted and find they are much better than having to lug Calor cylinders about.

When it comes to cost, Funsters Adam and Sophie created a spreadsheet a while ago you can download from this page, using it you can work out when you are liable to break even and start saving money by having refillable cylinders.

Paul

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Well I've never had a problem with refillable cylinders and never met anyone that's had a problem with refillable cylinders, in fact more people get gassed than have refillable cylinder problems and actually, and you'll no doubt prove me wrong, but except for the guages, I've never seen a thread on here concerning problems with refillable cylinders but hey, perhaps you on on a planet that does have problems with refillable cylinders but here on earth, we don't
strangely enough read the threads today or yesterday.
over the years there as been several problems with them discussed on here . and jims other sites .
but never mind . your happy with yours so thats ok.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
strangely enough read the threads today or yesterday.
over the years there as been several problems with them discussed on here . and jims other sites .
but never mind . your happy with yours so thats ok.
To be absolutely honest, the refillable cylinders (ours is Gaslow and other systems are available) are, without a doubt the best addition to our Moho that we've ever had. It's give us more freedom and ability to refill in any country we travel in.
Just before our last excursion, SWMBO thought she could smell gas so I got over to Phil at Rhino Installs and he pressure tested and leak detection and it was perfect. (think it was the grey waste pong after dumping). He does our habitation check annually but this was between checks and no leaks or no loss in pressure and, thank you Phil, no charge.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Refillable (Gaslow) was the first extra we fitted to our van and, like many others have said, was probably the best thing we've ever done (apart from buying the van itself of course). Never had a problem and even in Morocco, where you cannot refill, the use of an adapter and an external bottle got us through - we've only got room for 2x6kg bottles. Initial cost has more than been recovered, although that wasn't a factor when we installed it.

If ever we decided to change our van I would seriously consider an underslung tank, basically to give us extra capacity, but the spare locker space would come in handy too.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
2 x 14kg refillables in ours would never even consider using exchange bottles far too much hassle. It's not about cost all about convienance and not putting your back out.
As Lenny has said,it's not necessarily about money. We have just had gaslow installed and it's the convenience. In my case the saving bit is saving my back from lifting 11kg bottle in and out.:eek:
Ray

Upvote 0

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We had gaslow on the old van we switched to Alugas on the new van both systems are very good and so easy to use

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back