Gas bottles on the euro tunnel (1 Viewer)

955matt

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
bexhill on sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
First time on the euro tunnel with the camper at Christmas, what are the rules for gas bottles , we have two 13kg bottles on board.

Thanks Matt

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Basically if the gas bottles are for domestic use only and not for running the engine all you have to do is turn both bottles off. Your fridge will either have to survive without gas or switch on to battery for 30 minutes (not recommended) until you get off at t'other side.

If the vehicle is propelled by gas (as in American RV's) they won't let you on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Eurotunnel should insist that you show them that you've turned off the gas bottles and that's all. Your fridge will be fine with no power for quite some time so long as you don't keep opening it!

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
just remember to turn it on again the other side i forgot once and after a overnight stop most stuff i had in the fridge i threw the freezer was just about ok

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Normally on the English side as you go through passport control you go into a lane where they check they are turned off - I usually turn them off at this point. On the French side you are checked when you get to the kiosk where they tell you which lane to go in and this is where I turn them off.

That said there have been variations where they have just asked me if they are off when we were leaving the car part to board in England and once at the kiosk in France they just asked and didnt check.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Just remember usual EU rules apply.
On the english side you will be directed to a security lane where someone will come out, even if its p155ing down with rain as it was last time we went through, to watch you check they are off. Then they will doubly check there are off.
On the French side about half the time you will be asked "is your gas off?" say yes and thats it. The rest of the time gas isn't mentioned.

IE the French make a half hearted attempt to follow rules, the Brits doubly ensure they are followed to the letter, Typical!

sleep e carr

Free Member
Nov 30, 2008
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express 6 birth
Exp
Since 1970 first van converted police van
no one ever mentions gas when you go by ferry I all ways say gas is off .once I have boarded and they look at me and say oh ok as if it's not important.
Never been tunnel.

Oct 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadcruiser PVC
Exp
Since 2011
They should check them as above. In reality, I often find they don't bother on either side. Sometimes they don't even ask you if your gas is off.

All a bit slack really - I'd rather they did the job properly than risk an incident.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
I second "SomeoneElse" post. Made sure the gas tank was turned Off well in advance,(While it was not raining),because you have to lay down to access the tap,this is AFTER taking off a metal guard.
Quite rightly i was asked if the gas was off,yes says i..."Show me please". Out comes the all weather bit of carpet and sure enough,the chap knelt down and checked underneath. It is in every body's interest that this happens,so fair play to them.
Tea Bag

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
They have never asked me to turn my tank off at the airbox, quite happy that it is valved off in the old gas locker.
They just want to be sure you are not burning gas.
CA_04081321543527-L.jpg

Last edited:

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
first time on the tunnel. Have a look at this video by Keith Chesterfield so you will know what to expect.
He has lot of really useful video for visiting French Aires to

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
They have never asked me to turn my tank off at the airbox, quite happy that it is valved off in the old gas locker.
CA_04081321543527-L.jpg

Andy, pardon me for questioning your ability, but shouldn't the top of the pipe have a bracket on to hold it still so that it can't 'waggle' at the joint into the isolation tap - the joint is not meant to hold it other than to join the 2 pieces together ... having had a fire in a MH due to a bad gas bbq installation by a dealer where the pipe wasn't properly secured and so had come out of the joint eventually I would be very concerned if this was in my van ... please consider putting on at least one extra bracket, preferably 2.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
CA_04081321543527-L.jpg
I have a similar arrangement fitted by Autogas200 however I believe the label is a Eurotunnel requirement.

image.jpg

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
They have never commented as it is obvious but I have ordered one.
This suits the attitude of my tap
!B91okkQ!2k~$(KGrHqJ,!l0Ey+jC)eumBM69idjwbw~~0_12.JPG

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Andy, pardon me for questioning your ability, but shouldn't the top of the pipe have a bracket on to hold it still so that it can't 'waggle' at the joint into the isolation tap - the joint is not meant to hold it other than to join the 2 pieces together ... having had a fire in a MH due to a bad gas bbq installation by a dealer where the pipe wasn't properly secured and so had come out of the joint eventually I would be very concerned if this was in my van ... please consider putting on at least one extra bracket, preferably 2.
You are very welcome to cop a feel ;) it does not waggle it is solid.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Thanks for the replys I was just worried about the 80% full thing.

Cheers Matt
Make sure you have dials (ebay) fitted which show the amount of gas which shouldn't exceed 80% and as most systems like Gasflow won't fill above that figure you should be OK. Remember No Reader NO GO

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
fire 1.jpg
fire 2.jpg
You are very welcome to cop a feel ;) it does not waggle it is solid.
... what about in transit ... below are photos of my gas pipe before the 'flamethrower' experience - it was solid to the touch and had had a habitation and gas safety check less than 2 months before the pipe pulled out of the joint .... you should NOT rely on the joint to keep it in situ, that's what brackets are for.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Make sure you have dials (ebay) fitted which show the amount of gas which shouldn't exceed 80% and as most systems like Gasflow won't fill above that figure you should be OK. Remember No Reader NO GO
Sorry but you do NOT need a reader ... in all the years we've been going abroad, both on ferry and Eurotunnel, we have never ever been questions as to the quantity of gas in the bottles, only whether they are on or off.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I have never encountered them checking the quantity.

Me either - and since most systems don't have a measuring gauge there would surely be droves of MHs and caravans being turned around if it were the case that you had to prove that it was less than 80% full.

As an aside when they last checked my system the chap only checked that the first bottle was off - this was the one that was not connected to anything at all as it was the spare emergency calor bottle in case for some reason the gasit one ran out.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Sorry but you do NOT need a reader ... in all the years we've been going abroad, both on ferry and Eurotunnel, we have never ever been questions as to the quantity of gas in the bottles, only whether they are on or off.

Sorry but I think your wrong
From the Chunnels own website. The highlight in red is mine

Fixed gas containers (tanks, etc.)
For the purposes of this text, this means fixed containers that are permanently installed or fixed in a vehicle and are refillable from outside the vehicle.

The quantity of gas is limited to 47kg (or approximately 93 litres) maximum for a single container and to 50kg (or approximately 99 litres) maximum in the case of several containers. Each container must be no more than 80% full.

The quantity will be checked via the gauge or remote indicator but if neither are present, the vehicle will be refused.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Really enjoyed that video.. Who ever is doing the speaking has a great voice.. I could listen to him for ages

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Sorry but I think your wrong
From the Chunnels own website. The highlight in red is mine

Fixed gas containers (tanks, etc.)
For the purposes of this text, this means fixed containers that are permanently installed or fixed in a vehicle and are refillable from outside the vehicle.

The quantity of gas is limited to 47kg (or approximately 93 litres) maximum for a single container and to 50kg (or approximately 99 litres) maximum in the case of several containers. Each container must be no more than 80% full.

The quantity will be checked via the gauge or remote indicator but if neither are present, the vehicle will be refused.
It never happens

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Me either - and since most systems don't have a measuring gauge there would surely be droves of MHs and caravans being turned around if it were the case that you had to prove that it was less than 80% full.
correct (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back