Gas bottles in Portugal and Spain? (1 Viewer)

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Does anybody know if the connector/ regulator is the same in both these countries, i.e. Push on connectors?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Last Time out there between 2002 and 2008ish. There where two types of cylinder in Spain. (ignoring camping gaz), Repsol and Stainless steel ones which ????? (Could be Total?). The Orange Repsol has a Snap on Regulator. which you can buy from a "Feretarrier" (Ironmongers!!!). The Bottles could be purchased (but they wanted to "inspect" your Gas Rig. Obviously for a "FEE"). Most where therefore "Acquired" via one of the many "Flea Markets", Mine came from Benidorm!, and cost 10E!. As For Portugal I am not sure but would venture to suggest they may be the same?. Have you tried Googling Repsol?. that may give you a clue?.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Just checked yesterday and Sheriff's "Spanish bought" Repsol bottle is the same fitting as the "for sale in Portugal" Repsol bottle.

It was rather expensive and, given the many, many locations where one can top up with GPL here in Portugal, it was decided it would be a needless outlay.

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Olley, If he`s still about, used to have a big database of GPL outlets including those that would take (or not) the biggest rigs.

Pete

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
The 'other' company in Spain that Peter couldn't recall and has the silver coloured bottles is called Cepsa.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
First time we went to Spain and Portugal we had English type Calor bottles ( Prior to fitting
Gas-it refillable system ) We found a gas supplier on the coast at the border between the two countries and he had every connector known to man and he topped up our bottles !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andeb

Free Member
Dec 9, 2012
On the road
Funster No
MH
Euramobil 665HS
Exp
Since 2008
We found a place just off the N125 (on the Algarve), near the town/village of Boliqueime (N37*07.688 - W008*09.556) where we able to get our lightweight calor gas bottles filled. The guy did not bat an eyelid, he just went and got the right connector and filled the bottles (about €10.00per bottle if I remember right). There were a number of other vans there at the same time having getting their gas bottles filled. Hope this helps.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Nice to know nothing has changed then!! There was always the little guy in a back street somewhere who would fill "non local" cylinders and in my case a 120l fixed American tank!!. for which I had about 6 different fitting adapters!!!

Hey!! Mick and Pat, Nice to see you still about! I was was on-line some weeks back with a guy who remembered the old ARVM? . And I had an E-Mail from Parc Verger. they are about to retire. Had another e-mail from John they are running the "Brits Rally at quartzite again on or about Feb 10th, Not going to make it though as "her indoors" is up for surgery 11th Feb (IF they don`t cancel for the 2nd time!!)

Pete

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back